DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 9

Comments

• Thanks for the advice, I will try and pop to the post office tomorrow to get some postal orders to cover this as I can't pay online.

I was thinking perhaps it would just mean another late payment marker, which after 2 sets of those, 2 defaults and a house repossession you start to get used to it, although it really did upset me in the beginning.

The path to enlightenment begins when you stop caring about remote data, held on systems, which are used as a stick to beat us by the sharks.

I laugh now when I get threatograms which state that I could end up with a default which may make getting credit harder in the future. Now I write back and plead with them to default me. They never seem to respond to my request, well hey ho.
  • I do admit I had totally gotten over the threats about credit after the first couple of months.

One of the most interesting letters from the mortgage company was that having had my house repossessed they were asking me to contact them as they were still committed to me staying in the home that I had left 14 months ago. You tend to wonder at what point are they going to get it?

Although a repossession oldie I guess I still worry a bit being a DMP newbie and have the odd moments of panic but thanks for all the advice.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
  • Hi,

I had to go on a short term payment plan with Capital One credit card due to getting into some financial difficulty.
    When discussing the payment plan i got told by the customer service adviser that due to it only being a "short term" plan the account would not be DEFAULTED, It would show on my account that i was on a payment plan but as long as the agreed payments that we agreed for the plan were made i would not have any missed payments on my account.
    However i have since checked my credit report and it is showing that my account has had 5 missed payments and the account has DEFAULTED.
    I telephoned and spoke to someone in Capital One and informed them of the situation and they said that due to it only being a short term plan the account should not be being shown as defaulted on my credit report and that he will send the information off to the relevant team to sort it out.
    A week later i got sent a letter from them to say that my account was correct and they could not see any mistakes with what was on my credit report.
    I have checked with all the other creditors that i am on a payment plan with and none of them have defaulted my account. They do show i am on a payment plan but the payments i have made on that plan do not even show as missed payments, so i do not understand why my capital one account is doing this.
    I phoned up on Thursday 14th Feb and spoke to another customer service advisor who again told me that the account should not be shown as defaulted on my credit report due to it only being on a short term plan.
    I have since been able to pay of the arrears on the account so it is now up to date, however i do not agree with my credit report showing that this account is in default and has been the whole time that i have been on the short term payment plan.
    I have recently applied for a job and got rejected due to this default being on my account and also will be looking at getting a mortgage in a few years. I know over the last 6 months my credit report aint been too good but that can be fixed in the next couple of years however if this default stays on my account it will be on there for 6 years and is going to make a hell of a difference to what i can do in the future. any advice would be appreciated, thanks
  • Hi,

I had to go on a short term payment plan with Capital One credit card due to getting into some financial difficulty.
    When discussing the payment plan i got told by the customer service adviser that due to it only being a "short term" plan the account would not be DEFAULTED, It would show on my account that i was on a payment plan but as long as the agreed payments that we agreed for the plan were made i would not have any missed payments on my account.
    However i have since checked my credit report and it is showing that my account has had 5 missed payments and the account has DEFAULTED.
    I telephoned and spoke to someone in Capital One and informed them of the situation and they said that due to it only being a short term plan the account should not be being shown as defaulted on my credit report and that he will send the information off to the relevant team to sort it out.
    A week later i got sent a letter from them to say that my account was correct and they could not see any mistakes with what was on my credit report.
    I have checked with all the other creditors that i am on a payment plan with and none of them have defaulted my account. They do show i am on a payment plan but the payments i have made on that plan do not even show as missed payments, so i do not understand why my capital one account is doing this.
    I phoned up on Thursday 14th Feb and spoke to another customer service advisor who again told me that the account should not be shown as defaulted on my credit report due to it only being on a short term plan.
    I have since been able to pay of the arrears on the account so it is now up to date, however i do not agree with my credit report showing that this account is in default and has been the whole time that i have been on the short term payment plan.
    I have recently applied for a job and got rejected due to this default being on my account and also will be looking at getting a mortgage in a few years. I know over the last 6 months my credit report aint been too good but that can be fixed in the next couple of years however if this default stays on my account it will be on there for 6 years and is going to make a hell of a difference to what i can do in the future. any advice would be appreciated, thanks

First off were you sent a Default Notice? I take it from your post that you weren't.
    If this is the case I would SAR them to get all the data from your account.
    You should be able to find out for definate if they sent it and when if you SAR them. This will give you access to any dates and lists of mail they sent you. If they didnt you can ask them to remove it, by law they have to, then ask them for compensation for damages to your credit rating etc, etc

Use the below letter

SAR - SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Dear

Re: Account number:

In the first part under the Data Protection Act 1998:

Under the Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998, and including the right of subject access under these acts, please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to the above accounts held with you since they were opened.

Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.

For the avoidance of any and all doubt, I reiterate:

I hereby request that you supply me with any and all historical data in your possession which, in any way appertains to me, including (but not exhaustively) a copy of the original signed executed agreement; statements of account; duplicate statements and/or print outs of all account transactions; all internal and external correspondence sent or received by you including memo’s, logs, notes, screen prints and transcripts; notes of manual interventions such as telephone attendants' notes, copies of stored telephone conversations, internal and external emails; any other information held on any/all types of media in any relevant filing system (microfiche included).

If you have disclosed any information to a third party (with or without my express permission), will you please include details of this in your reply, along with notes of any legal action passed or pending (to include a true copy of default notices, court orders and the like).

Where any information that you provide includes any charges, for example returned payments, late payment fees, and so forth, would you please advise your breakdown of actual costs (liquidated damages) incurred for each charge, and the Term or Condition on which you rely upon to claim such a charge.

I also require that you forward, within the above mentioned time scale, a true copy of the Terms and Conditions that were in force at the time my account was opened, and any subsequent amendments to those Terms and Conditions.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10.00 to access ALL data held by XXXXX about myself. You should be fully aware of your statutory obligations under the Data Protection Act and that any failure to comply with this request will involve a complaint to the ICO as well as potential legal action.

You have 40 days in which to comply with this request.

This communication has been sent Recorded Delivery so I can ensure compliance on these issues within the legislative timeframes.

Yours Sincerely
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Payplan push IVA`s because they can charge to run them and this makes them money.

However all you do, like I did when I first contacted them was to say NO because it could have affected my job.
    They only asked me the once and then we set up my DMP, which has run without a problem for the last 86 months to go ! (only 4 to the end !).

Cocoloco if they ask again just give a firm NO as the reply.
    Sorry to hear about that cocoloco. Fingers crossed on you getting it sorted out with Paypan tomorrow.

I have read a few things recently about Payplan pushing IVAs, even to people who have been on a DMP for some time. I really am not sure what is going on there.
  • Hello lovely people, I'm new here but I've spent hours reading through all the posts and thought I'd be brave enough to introduce myself and ask for some advice.

I had a LBM last month, but I've only really gotten around to doing something about it tonight (all my fault, making things worse!) I've applied for a DMP with Step Change, which from what I've read is going to take a little while to get going. My problem is a big loan payment is due on Wednesday, which I am utterly panicked about missing. It's the first one I'm going to have to let slip and I'm not looking forward to being inundated by phone calls that I won't be able to answer. Do you recommend that I write to them or email them beforehand?

I also failed my first driving test today, so overall I'm feeling quite down right now :(
    £11,673 :cry: finally owning up to my problems, battling to defeat my depression and my debt before it swallows me whole.
  • Mossop01
    Mossop01 Posts: 203 Forumite
    cocoa1990 wrote: »
    Hello lovely people, I'm new here but I've spent hours reading through all the posts and thought I'd be brave enough to introduce myself and ask for some advice.

I had a LBM last month, but I've only really gotten around to doing something about it tonight (all my fault, making things worse!) I've applied for a DMP with Step Change, which from what I've read is going to take a little while to get going. My problem is a big loan payment is due on Wednesday, which I am utterly panicked about missing. It's the first one I'm going to have to let slip and I'm not looking forward to being inundated by phone calls that I won't be able to answer. Do you recommend that I write to them or email them beforehanRaw
    I also failed my first driving test today, so overall I'm feeling quite down right now :(

Hiya, when I first contacted SC about my dmp I rang them and did everything over the phone, doing income and expenditure and giving a full list of all creditors, they started the ball rolling immediately giving me my DMP ref number advising me to just send token payments until plan was set up, which literally took a week, I was quite organised tho as I had all my info ready to send back to SC the next day, SC sent me all relevant letter templates to send to creditors and I started my token payments immediately. I think the more organised you can be the quicker things get moving.
    Sorry to hear about the driving test, keep trying tho.
    Best of luck
    LBM Dec 2012 total debt 33,889 :eek:dmp started March 2013 DFD Dec 2024
    Nov 2015 balance £22,679 going in the right direction!!
    Onwards n upwards!:T
  • mill1980 wrote: »
    not sure if i am posting in the right place spent ages looking for a thread but anyway here goes.

I have a property I stupidly bought a ex-council flat for £87k with a NR together mortgage (total £106,000 all in to pay off credit cards) in 2007 in a area I had moved to for work then the market went under, in 2009 I moved home (over 100 miles from where property is) due to new job and decided to rent out in the short term. fast forward to now and I had a few tenants none long term and last one moved out in May last year (rent never covered mortgage payment fully i made up shortfall) and up until september just there had no interest for renting. I maintained mortgage payments of £440 a month just about think im due about £150 which I didn't pay at xmas time, the unsecured already gone into my DMP with cccs or step change as they are now called, Decided to cut my losses and try to sell. Property valued at £54k :( (i paid £87k 4 years earlier). went on market offers over £48,500 (scotland property) no viewing decided to drop to £42k fixed last thursday 3 viewers next day with 2 offers being emailed over tomorrow. NRAM have been kept informed of all this (although not the offers as they won't be open till tomorrow) and I know they will need to agree the sale due to negative equity blah blah. I am already in rented property so my problem is I don't need nor want this property I owe and I am trying to get rid of it as quickly and by the best means possible, by selling it even if it will leave a £40k+ short fall I have accepted the fact I will deal with it when i arrive I have no assets so bankcruptcy would be feaslible or a trust deed which I would prefer any which way I am not bother all I want is rid of this flat.

If NRAM don't accept the offer of £42k then I will hand back the keys by letter by the end on the week and on their heads be it to deal with it at auction.

I feel I am making the right choice and it feels very good to have even just decided after much effort (and financial hardship, some months we couldn't even afford to by the kids clothes because I am paying so much money out on the property and rent for our current home) to let it go and allow myself to deal with the debt in a way that will help us start a fresh. I don't have any credit rating anyway so 6 years or whatever takes to get back on our feet seems reasonable to me to do our saving and get ourselves in a good financial position again to buy the things we want.

moral of the story for me...never borrow what the companies tell you you can afford :rotfl:

well offer came into today £42k phoned nram supposedly I have to wait 3 days for someone to phone me back from the shortfall team. This will not be happening as I will keep phoning tomorrow until I can speak to someone who will say yay or neigh and if its a neigh I will tell them to start repossession proceedings (them knowing they won't get any more for it then I have had a offer of) as I will not be paying any more towards the mortgage.

I still kick myself for buying the flat in the first place hindsight is a wonderful thing, still happy with the decision to get rid by whatever means possible though.
  • Mossop01 wrote: »
    Hiya, when I first contacted SC about my dmp I rang them and did everything over the phone, doing income and expenditure and giving a full list of all creditors, they started the ball rolling immediately giving me my DMP ref number advising me to just send token payments until plan was set up, which literally took a week, I was quite organised tho as I had all my info ready to send back to SC the next day, SC sent me all relevant letter templates to send to creditors and I started my token payments immediately. I think the more organised you can be the quicker things get moving.
    Sorry to hear about the driving test, keep trying tho.
    Best of luck

Ahh I wish doing it over the phone was an option, I work 9-5 week days though so finding enough time to do it is a nightmare. I've found all of my account numbers, and even done a spreadsheet after reading about how exciting everyone finds them! I'm just looking forward to being able to edit and reduce it...
    £11,673 :cry: finally owning up to my problems, battling to defeat my depression and my debt before it swallows me whole.
  • Good luck with DMP Cocoa1990, although it seems like a lot of things to take on board it isn't as painful or complicated as it may seem.

Just a really important thing to note as you haven't spoken with SC yet is to open a new bank account with someone you haven't got debts with before you contact them by letter to tell them you are entering into a DMP and make sure your wages are paid into that asap, especially if the loan is with whom you bank with as they are getting really good doing the right of offset procedure. Then just send off a token payment with a letter explaining the situation.

Good luck with it all and there are loads of people on where who give wonderful advice to any question so don't be afraid to ask.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure