PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tinned mushrooms...

I bought about ten tins when they were cheap in Lidl ages ago. I haven't used any of them.
How can you use tinned mushrooms :confused:...I'm thinking if I add them to stew or chilli or something they'll be soggy??
They were so cheap and seemed such a good buy at the time.

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Add them to any stew/casserole and they'll help stretch the meat. Bolognese, chilli, anywhere you'd use fresh.

Personally I don't really like them on their own with cooked breakfast for example but I've stayed in lots of hotels that do use them.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I cant often get good fresh mushrooms in our village shop so I use the Lidl tinned ones quite often in casseroles, pasta dishes, pies etc. I prefer to get a few fresh ones for breakfast though ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • exup
    exup Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    could chop em up and cook with phildelphia (or similar) cheese . . makes a good topping for turkey/chicken breast steaks .
    Don't try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig
  • nikflo
    nikflo Posts: 504 Forumite
    what about a curry, or mushroom rice??
  • i tend to use them in spag bol or wherever id use fresh cus they are so much cheaper than fresh ones. i find them to be pretty much the same in a sauce anyway
    Money paid out from Topcashback so far= £105.89 :j
    No buying magazines in 2011 Challenge- Number bought to date= 0 :)

• penny_less
    penny_less Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I use them in stir fries, mushroom omelettes,casseroles-cheap really easy and you don't have to chop them!
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    They're nice in a white/garlicky sauce with pasta. I used to live on this when I was first pregnant with my DS2 it was the only thing that didn't make me feel sick lol!
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    My French neighbour, who once was a chef (but French-conservative), always uses Lidl tinned mushrooms very successfully in the sauce that goes with his roast beef or roast leg of lamb - he simply adds a little water to the juices in the roasting pan, scraping the baked-on bits off the bottom and sides, adds the tinned mushrooms (drained) and leaves the sauce to simmer for a little before adjusting the seasoning and serving it with the meat. No thickening or anything, and it always tastes very good that way.

The other thing tinned mushrooms are handy for, is when you want to thicken something without using anything starchy such as flour or cornstarch etc. - for example if you are on a low or no carb diet. You just whizz the drained tinned mushrooms in a blender and add it to the soup or sauce you want to thicken. Works really well.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • JoolzS
    JoolzS Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HH62 wrote: »
    I bought about ten tins when they were cheap in Lidl ages ago. I haven't used any of them.
    How can you use tinned mushrooms :confused:...I'm thinking if I add them to stew or chilli or something they'll be soggy??
    They were so cheap and seemed such a good buy at the time.
    They are "soggy" to begin with so add them to anything where you like mushrooms.

Julie
  • What about a beef and mushroom stroganoff or puree them and add cream to make a soup - yummy!;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure