Meter Registration Service ???!!!

Comments

• Hi guys, I really really wish I had seen this thread last week!

It's exactly the same story, opened a new business. I had set up a contract with Scottish Power 3 weeks previously, but on the first day of trading I was inundated with calls from Meter REgistration, Commercial Energy etc- must have had about 20 calls a day for the first few days:(.

Eventually I contacted sCottish Power (at least I thought I did- am uncertain as to how what happened next happened!) who told me they couldn't supply me as the previous teneant had left owing money, but they would direct me to their "sister" company, EON.
    This was news to me, but I needed to make the calls stop, and I was assured that they would "sort it out" and the calls woul;d then stop. The rates they quoted were actualy cheaper, so I was happy enough to go ahead. Until I spoke to "Matthew" who contradicted himself several times, and told me that SCottish Power had "lied" to me! That he couldn't tell me how much I would be paying etc. He was so clueless that I asked to speak to someone else (not something I usually do) Someone else then came on and I DID agree to the change but ONLY because I thought I had no option.

Several phone calls from them later, I realised that something was not right. I was repeatedly lied to, told that they were phoning from EON, then trying to offer me NPower rates etc. At this point I phoned Scottish Power again, and told them the whole story, reset a contract with them, and hoped the thing was done and dusted.

Since then, I have still had phone calls - now they phone saying they are from scottish power, that there is a problem etc etc, and offering me rates from other people. I am shocked that they can lie so blatantly to try to get details from me- is this legal?? I have written to the Energy Ombudsman, but I see here that they are unlikely to be any help. Who else should I contact about these practices? The last guy who phoned actually told me that Scottish power were going into receivership that very day, and being taken over by EON!!! He hung up after I mentioned the flock of pigs flying past my window that very day, but it unsettles me that they can lie so blatantly. I will contact Scottish Power tomorrow, and insist that on no account do I want to move suppliers.

The whole experience has left me very unsettled and shaken. This is my first business, and I cant just not answer calls, as I am a vet and need to be available. Any prospective clients would have been unable to get through, however, as these guys were calling me up to 20 or 30 times a day initially :mad:. I think this is a totally reprehensible practice on their part, and I really want something done about these prats. the level of harrassment is unbelievable, and they are intimidating and bullying as well. I really didn't need this- things are stressful enough when you are starting a new business :(. They are scum, purely and simply, picking on people they know to be vulnerable. I have now told my staff to tell them I have been abducted by aliens when they next call- more believable than the stories they are telling me.

There must be some way to stop this.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi beaglegirl,

It sounds like one of the sales agencies who work on behalf of all the suppliers have been trying very hard to get you to change supplier.

It is very difficult for us, as a supplier to stop you transferring away if another company comes in to take your supply. However, if you wisht o e-mail me your details to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] I will do my best to prevent the transfer.

Kind regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • had a call from a guy called joseph saying he was calling from a company called utilities registration board got his direct line number and main switchboard number searched both but his direct line came up with a bank in manchester obviously a broker he was plugging a business name opus. i rang my landlord when i got off the phone with joseph as a suspected something not right he confirmed that it was a con as he had it when he started his business. so look out
    Danny
    Bricknells sweets
  • Have had exactly the same problem and am now trying to extricate myself.:mad:

Very naively believed the story of one MARIE ROBINSON 0844 555 3004 who registered me to two meters, both incorrect, and now Opus has sent me a welcome pack despite me cancelling the process when it was discovered that the meters were incorrectly registered to my office. I recorded that call after seeing this website so I have a record of that at my end.:D

Opus called last week and I said to them the meters are incorrect, and i have a recording of this woman confirming that the contract had not been sent through. However, this week IAN from Opus has denied that he would take a call/call through to MARIE, and MARIE surprise surprise is not taking calls at the moment.:angry:

I also made it clear to IAN that if they wanted to hold me to this contract I would take it through the courts if necessary.

Ofgem have said that the energy COMPANIES are regulated, but not the brokers, which seems ridiculous to me. I have since spoken to the Department of Energy, and they want me to email through the details and they will pass it on the to the minister concerned, as have left a message for my local MP who is very good at taking up these sorts of problems.

In the meantime, though, I am apparently still in a contract with Opus, for two meters that are not mine, despite having a recording (at my end...) of the woman confirming that it had not gone through...

Oh how I WISH I had seen this thread 3 weeks ago... any advice greatly received, I am considering taking it to the press as well...
  • UPDATE: Spoke to this MARIE woman, she said there was no contract in place and she had spoken to Craig at Opus, spoke to Ian at Opus and he said there was no Craig except the person next to him who does not deal with that side of things, and that there IS a contract in place!!!

Aaaargh!!!!!
  • :rotfl:
    marybishop wrote: »
    Has anyone else had a call from a company calling themselves the 'Meter Registration Service'?

Had a call just now from someone claiming to be from the above telling me that I had just come out of a contract with my current supplier and was now paying their emergency rates which were 30 - 40% higher than what I needed to be paying! :eek:

He was very insistent that he wasn't calling on behalf of one supplier and that the MRS work for all the suppliers! No, I wasn't falling for it either! :rolleyes:

So I told him I was with EON to which he replied 'I could have told you that before you told me' - cheek! So I told him if I had any concerns I would get in touch with EON, thank you and goodbye. He slammed the phone down before I did! :mad:

Phoned EON to ask if they'd ever heard of this outfit and the lady at the other end said she hadn't but it was obviously a cold call and not a very good one at that!! :rotfl:

So beware - if they ring, tell them where to go!!!

Basically with this outfit for them because they have not got competitive rates in domestic or commercial tarifs they have sales pitches to lie by calling them the meter registration service or you are on emergency rates i have heard 1000's of stories of these guys claims, all cons!!, basically what people need to do with these calls or any like them is to contact consumer direct or ofgem the more complaints they get the more they can arrange fines etc or even take their supply license from them!:T
  • ohhmmmm
    ohhmmmm Posts: 4 Newbie
    Can anyone help me?

I have unfortunately got into a verbally agreed contract with opus through the meter registration service. Wish I had read this sooner!

However I have managed to find when tring to find the current supplier that they seem to be trying to connect it to my neighbours business premises and not mine, I haven't been able to give a meter number as I couldn't find one.

I have asked my neighbour to call his supplier to get them to reject the change over.
    Will this work....?
    I can not believe how stressful this is, and how these people can lie and mislead.

I have complained to opus but have to wait for the appropriate team to listen to the recording :(
  • It unbelievable that these guys are still going.
    I've just moved into a new premises to start a business. I had sorted my electricity supplier out on the first day of moving in (with Opus direct). They said they would send me all the details and contract through the post, which is fine. But then:
    In the past 4 days I must have had at least 35 calls from various energy brokers; most of them are fine when you tell them you've already have a contract with your chosen energy supplier.
    However, Meter Registration Service pretend to be some sort of official body that want to 'register' your meter (and thus pinch away the contract you've already set up and earn a nice commission). A number of people and 'managers' at Meter Registration Service have phoned me at least 25 times in the past few days. They are VERY pushy and won't take "no" for an answer. They will try ANYTHING to get your details; they will even ask you to 'check' your meter number and if it is at the correct address.
    I got really fed up and told them it was harassment.
    Here's what you MUST do to stop these unscupulous people:
    1. Make a note of who you spoke to and what their number is and their address.
    2. After you hang up call 1471 to find out their number. (I had an Ipswich number)
    3. Phone BT to complain about them and get yourself blocked from marketing calls. It's free.
    4. Phone the police and tell them your problem and that you receive nuisance calls from a particular caller; they are very understanding and helpful.
    5. Phone Trading Standards and explain your problem with them and that they are misleading you into believing that they are some sort of an 'official' body.

If everyone complains, this will have to stop. Power to the people!
  • thecardog
    thecardog Posts: 10 Forumite
    Had the Meter Reg Service call my 2 new business premises about 40 times in 3 days. What a waste of time :mad:

I now ask for their name and address when they call and advise them that I am reporting them to Ofgem and the Police. For some reason, they put the phone down every time :j

If you've been conned try calling them on 01235 340535 and ask to speak to their Compliance Dept. They will take your complaint and then listen to the recording to see if they have done anything wrong, things like:
    • Did they tell you the correct prices you were paying now? They told me I was paying 17.1p per unit when I am actually paying 12.8p.
    • Did they speak to the right person who was actually authorised to enter a contract?
    • Did they threaten you in any way?
    Hope this helps, :beer:
  • smiggers
    smiggers Posts: 119 Forumite
    My wife opened a restaurant & we were bombarded with calls from this scam outfit for weeks. I really don't know why Ofgem haven't shut them down - a toothless regulator. It is a real boiler house operation that targets new businesses (presumably obtaining numbers from yell.com , google etc.)

They keep on pretending that a "trainee" called , a "manager" is dealing with your case etc. In reality , it is all the same person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure