PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Maisonettes - more desireable / worth more than a flat???

In general are maisonettes more desireable or worth more than a flat? I'm trying to see what a rough value for a property might be. I've looked on rightmove for the area the property is in but there are no maisonettes for sale, only flats. Have also looked on nethouseprices and the only recent sale was this property back in 2003 (£148,000 back then).

It's basically a block of 4 properties, one shared main front door with 2 x downstairs one bedroom flats and the stairs leading to 2 x two bed maisonettes. It's purpose built and looks like an attractive large house from the outside. The property has an en suite, a garage & driveway and also a garden (albeit as it is first floor you obviously can't get to the garden without going out the front door and round).

Does anyone know what sort of value being a maisonette over a flat would add (if any) and also whether the garage and the garden are likely to add much value?

Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• devotee
    devotee Posts: 881 Forumite
    Maisonette is a flat, but you get your own entrance. I don't think own entrance adds more value, but the garden and garage adds value and it's probably priced accordingly. So on rightmove/land registry no such thing as maisonette, only flats or houses.
  • devotee
    Btw, it's not a maisonette if you have to share the main entrance!
  • maisonette
    maisonette Posts: 73 Forumite
    Aah, maybe this isn't classed as a maisonette then as it shares an entrance with three other properties. I called it a maisonette as it's over two levels ie there's an upstairs and a downstairs
  • devotee
    maisonette wrote: »
    Aah, maybe this isn't classed as a maisonette then as it shares an entrance with three other properties. I called it a maisonette as it's over two levels ie there's an upstairs and a downstairs

No it's a split level flat then. Some people like them, some don't. Some people think it feels more like a house to have two levels, while some prefer the all on one level. So, no real value in being a split level flat more than one level flat of similar sq ft that also has a garden and a garage.
  • holly_hobby
    holly_hobby Posts: 5,363 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Value is really influenced by area, no of rooms,total sq footage and especially for a flat, if there is a dedicated parking bay (as it makes it more desirable and servicable to those who have a car).

If its apples for apples, then as already stated, its really down to preference - a split level in my opinion would be more desirable than a traditional flat, but thats because it would suit me and my requirements ......

Holly
  • devotee
    Value is really influenced by area, no of rooms,total sq footage and especially for a flat, if there is a dedicated parking bay (as it makes it more desirable and servicable to those who have a car).

If its apples for apples, then as already stated, its really down to preference - a split level in my opinion would be more desirable than a traditional flat, but thats because it would suit me and my requirements ......

Holly

True, parking does make the difference too.
    I prefer one level, not too keen on losing sq on stairs.... ok not too keen on hoovering the stairs! :D
  • I know it doesn't effect OP in this instance, but I do think in general that having your own street level entrance is a plus feature for a property especially if it's ex-council - so you're not sharing any possibly undesirable communal areas.

But if we're talking split level versus one floor flats then I don't think there's much in it as others have said. My OH is from Scandinavia and even thinks it's strange that houses in the UK are usually on more than one level - it's all down to taste.
  • Mind_the_Gap
    Mind_the_Gap Posts: 355 Forumite
    My OH is from Scandinavia and even thinks it's strange that houses in the UK are usually on more than one level - it's all down to taste.

He's obviously not spotted the fact that the UK is far more densely populated than Scandinavia! If we all lived in one-storey homes, there would be no countryside left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure