White gloss that doesn't yellow

I will soon be doing a complete redecoration of a 3 storey house and need to buy ALOT of paint.

Therefore, to save some money, i'm happy to buy a shops own brand of paint rather than the big name brands BUT I don't want to waste my money if the paint is rubbish. I repainted my kitchen 12 months ago and the white gloss is already a disgusting yellow colour.

Can anyone recommend a white gloss that DOESN'T yellow?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Don't use gloss. Use satinwood as this doesn't yellow at all. It also has a duller finish than gloss and doesn't shop all the imperfections in the woodwork.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • manda1205
    manda1205 Posts: 2,366
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When we moved in 5 years ago we did pretty much everywhere(doors and archatrave, sp? and skirts) in dulux once white gloss. None of ours has gone yellow. We dont smoke though, I know that affected my mum and dads majorly.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    phill99 wrote: »
    Don't use gloss. Use satinwood as this doesn't yellow at all. It also has a duller finish than gloss and doesn't shop all the imperfections in the woodwork.

solvent based paints yellow - gloss or satinwood fade with age, where as water based paints stay white, i can recommend dulux diamond satinwood , although it is quite pricey.also being w/based it dries quickly and doesn't smell as much as a solvent based paint

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC10318&submit.x=36&submit.y=12
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    nickj wrote: »
    solvent based paints yellow - gloss or satinwood fade with age, where as water based paints stay white,
    I have never had white gloss go yellow. Brolac when it was a good paint was fine and Leyland/Johnstone since.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • madmish00
    madmish00 Posts: 315 Forumite
    The best white wood paint I have found is Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood. It dries in 2 hours instead of 16 hours, doesn't smell half as much as gloss and doesn't yellow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure