Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Comments

• wolvesfan18
    wolvesfan18 Posts: 419 Forumite
    Sy1 wrote: »
    I've just noticed this thread and have been reading people's comments with interest as I used to work for M&S up until about 3 years ago. I spent 4 years or so working there part-time and 2-3 years of this was spent on the Customer Services Desk dealing with Refunds & Exchanges.

My experience there was a real eye-opener, and for those of you criticising staff for being suspicious of everyone without a receipt, I can tell you several stories which would make you suspicious!

I have seen cases of people ripping labels out of M&S suits and stitching them into cheap non-M&S suits to return for refunds, people stealing left-over M&S green till rolls and printing their own receipts for stolen goods, and people trying to return stock from the 1960s! I've seen every scam and could not believe the lengths people will go to to make a bit of money with a fraudulent refund.

When I worked there the policy was still very open - a refund to the method of payment with a receipt, or a refund in credit vouchers with no receipt. If the item was reduced in the sale, we would ask when the item was purchased and provide a refund according to the price of the item at that time as shown on the till - we took the customer's word for it.

Obviously you are suspicious of people returning high-value items with no receipt - we regularly had emails about bulk quantities of suits and leather jackets etc being stolen from other stores in the area and had to be wary of people returning these items with no receipt in case they were stolen.

You also become suspicious when you see the same faces returning high-value items frequently with no receipts. There used to be notorious 'customers' who would only ever shop during sales and would intentionally look for sale items which were not 'red-dotted' do they could return them without the receipt, claiming they purchased them before the sale at full price, in order to make a quick profit.

When the refund policy was so loose and so open to abuse of these types, as a Sales Advisor you became very suspicious that some customers might be trying to get one over on you and the company. You have to ask yourself, if somebody genuinely purchased a high value item knowing that they may return it, then why wouldn't they keep the receipt?

Staff on the Refunds desk were generally more experienced staff and as such were allowed by management to make their own decisions and managers were usually only called to assist if a customer kicked off, and the manager would generally back-up what the Sales Advisor had said.

I personally think that it is great for M&S that they have tightened up on the refund policy as it used to be abused on such a massive scale. I also think that for the vast majority of people, 90 days is more than enough time to return an unwanted item. Why should people be allowed to return items months or years later? Usually, after 6 months or so all items have been reduced in the sale, and by allowing refunds after long periods of time old stock just hangs around for ages.

The other point I find really interesting is the fact that people have been discussing the fact that staff are able to look up transactions.

To clarify, based on my experience, the POS system does allow transaction searches up to roughly 12 months prior. The system can be searched by date/time, value of transaction, till number, sales advisor number, card number etc etc - it is very comprehensive.

However, this system was only accessible by management and senior sales advisors. It was not a fast process, and to locate a specific transaction you would really need to know a customer's card number and card type, which not all customers have to hand.

Because the transaction search is so slow and a manager would have to be called to do a search, it was rarely used and was generally used only in instances, for example, where a customer phoned in and said that they had asked for cashback and not received it. By doing a search a manager could find the sales advisor and ask them if they remembered giving cashback etc.

I have to say, I really don't understand why people think M&S have a duty to do such a search to prove that a customer purchased an item or what price they paid - surely if returning an item a customer must hold some responsibility to retain their receipt if they buy an item knowing there is a chance they may wish to return it. You wouldn't try returning an item without a receipt to many other high street stores so why should M&S be any different?

I think people generally expect the earth from M&S because in the past they have bent over backwards to help their customers. Unfortunately, a large volume of customers abused such open policies on a massive scale so the company has had to tighten things up. It's not unfair, if it was your business you'd do the same. And the policies M&S now use still seem to be very competitive in relation to the rest of the high street.

Anyway, rant over! This is just a summary of what I saw at M&S when I worked on Refunds & Exchanges. I'm glad I'm no longer there or in retail but it was a really interesting job at the time and did really open my eyes! Knowing the lengths people will go to to pull off a scam and make a few quid has made me much less naive, and I'm not necessarily suspicious of people, but I'm much more confident questioning things I'm not totally sure are right!

thankyou and here here to this person.

side note: we now have to get customers to sign reciepts if they have cashback as they are so crafty

they (customers) dont like me on the customer service desks becuase i dont take abuse :p , if a customer wants to go for it im more than happy to fire back. i back down to nobody and thats why the management like me to work there (though i dont want to be on the cs desk FT). fact it i hate m&s customers
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    My mum took some shoes back to M&S. Had lost receipt and had bought them a few months before and didnt try them on and were really big made. Went to counter and told girl that had them for a few months and asked if she could exchange them. She said just need to check with a manager. I was standing browsing and manger happended to be near me. Assistant came over and asked him if alright and he asked her what mum was like. Which she replied she is very well dressed, He told her let her have a full refund then. I thought it was really funny and told her if you had been scruffy she would have had to stick with her big shoes.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • Nicolefury
    Nicolefury Posts: 602 Forumite
    No, if somebody looks shifty, or if they are known to be a serial dodgy refunder, they ask that question to establish whether they need to come over or not.

You'll get a refund at M&S if you meet the criteria. If the items been worn or the receipt is out of date, you'll get very little. If you haven't a receipt, you have to take the last selling price as a credit voucher, full stop. Arguing won't get you any further.

People take the mickey about refunds, expecting us to take back used underwear because they decided against it after a few days of wearing, or somebody who tries to get shoes refunded which their cats have weed on. I have NEVER rejected a normal person for a refund, but sometimes you have to be more aware.
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • I recently ordered from M&S online, some items were smashed, went to local store, they refunded me AND replaced them all free of charge.

Just before I went to the local store I also complained online, again full refund + more replacements than I wanted, alot more for 1 type of item.

Result I ended up with approx £50 of items for the price of £20, M&S CS has improved alot I would say of late. Although I wonder how long that will last with all these sales, 24% loss in share price and invitable streamlining coming.
  • Nicolefury
    Nicolefury Posts: 602 Forumite
    The policy or standard of CS won't change. In times of difficult trading, we need to keep the customers we have happy.
    Dooyoo £10.40/40, TopCashBack £17.19/30, Valued Opinions 50p/£10, Swagbucks 0/£20, Ebay £15/£25
  • crispeater
    crispeater Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    hamish222 wrote: »
    Assistant came over and asked him if alright and he asked her what mum was like. Which she replied she is very well dressed, He told her let her have a full refund then.

i think thats so funny! so does that mean if i go in with my kids in tow looking a bit deshevelled and flustered after having told off a 2 yr old for about the 50th time that day and obviously getting really annoyed and inpatient and hot an sweaty i wont get a refund!? :D :rotfl:

i must remember to always keep a hairbrush in my bag! at least that might help :D
    It only seems kinky the first time.. :A
  • I took back an unused babygrow (cost £10), but had no receipt - the SA gave me a credit note of just £3!! Is this right/normal for M&S?
    Mrs Chaffinch was not amused when I got home!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I took back an unused babygrow (cost £10), but had no receipt - the SA gave me a credit note of just £3!! Is this right/normal for M&S?
    Mrs Chaffinch was not amused when I got home!
    maybe it had been in the sale
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • I used to work at Marks, when i was at Uni and i always gave a refund on a credit note, if the customer did not have a receipt, i never once backed down, mainly because in my training i was told to give customers who do not have receipts a refund on a credit note, plus i only ever have the current selling price!! I never once backed down to any customer, no matter how aggressive or affluent they were!!!!!

I always went by the rule that you treat every customer the same, if had to make an exception for one customer, i had to do it for every customer!!!!

I worked on the customer service desk and the were certain customers who saw me and walked back towards the stairs! :) i think i had quite a reputation from the "dodgy" customers!!!

I also agree with many other posters, why should M&S have to take stuff back, the law does not state that retailers must offer refunds if you change your mind!

I also has a incident with returned lingerie - however her reason for refunding was that it was stained.........im going to say no more and let your mind ponder what the stain was.......
    :beer:In My 'Permanant' Pre-Masters Gap Year :beer:
    'Married' Apple Fan and Proud
    With 16 Conversions
    I am not affiliated with any company except the one for whom I work!
  • I took a bra back a while ago and the snotty sales assistant smellt it and said it smelt worn. It did not as it did not fit and I had not worn it. People get annoyed when sales assistants treat the consumers with contempt. She gave me the refund but she was a right b****
    :beer: If I say something you like....Please hit the thanks button :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport