any guinea pig money saving tips?

Comments

• icklejulez
    icklejulez Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Hi spudnik yes i live in Blackpool I would feel better rehoming a guinea pig if you have any advice.
    Saving needed to emigrate to Oz
    *September 2015*

£11,860.00 needed = £1,106 in savings

• Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooooo yes definitely go for a guinea pig that needs a new home. We did this for our two rabbits. It was well worth it and the lady we got them from was able to give so much information to us. Our rabbits stayed outside 24/7 and were as snug as a bug in a rug in the winter. They had a large hutch with a very large pen attached to it. All covered in the polycarbonate (?) stuff you can make a lean-to roof from. Very warm, we made sure of that and they could also go in and out of their hutch whenever they wanted all the time.

One thing I would say is NEVER put a rabbit and guinea pig together. They just do not live together. A rabbit can be very nasty to a guinea pig - and we know that first hand!

I am sure your children will love them but please make sure they are old enough to realise they are not toys and do need to be treated well. You'll have great fun :j .
  • Spudnik_2
    Spudnik_2 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Try www.guineapigrehome.org.uk.

Also here:
    RSPCA Longview Animal Home
    Division Lane, Marton, Blackpool, FY4 5EB
    Tel: 01253 763991

I don't have much time now, but I'll try to have a better look tomorrow. Good luck! :)

I second the above - never keep a rabbit and a guinea pig together. http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm
  • bunnymad
    bunnymad Posts: 73 Forumite
    Yep a bun and a piggy is a definite nono.
  • LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    The grids have been spotted on ebay.
  • stimpo
    stimpo Posts: 74 Forumite
    Get rats instead.

That way you know whether youve got boys or girls!
  • ive 2 (rescue) guinea pigs, both male that came together. i think they were together since they were tiny and get on well with eachother. they live happily with a rabbit (male but neutered). i have a female rabbit that would love to beat them up given half the chance. i used to have a male (un-neutered)rabbit and a male guinea pig together but the rabbit got a bit frisky and harassed the pig. ive kept rabbits and pigs together but find that neutered male rabbits are best with the pigs. maybe i just got lucky tho? have you thought of a house bunny? they are brilliant, amazing little characters, a bit like a puppy that follows you about. mine used to sit on the sofa with me, just hide the tv wires tho!
  • Spudnik_2
    Spudnik_2 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Rats can make equally good pets, but I'm not sure that I'd get them solely on that basis :p

It's true that some people do keep rabbits and guinea pigs together without any problem, but it is risky (as detailed in the link that I posted before) and as such it isn't something that I'd recommend. I agree with your comments on keeping house rabbits, though - I currently have a foster girl and she's lovely, and I used to have one of my own. Unfortunately, the foster isn't spayed yet and as such has an awful habit of leaving me presents. As many as possible!

Any luck with finding cubes/piggies yet? Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner - hadn't had chance to even look at the computer yet this week!
  • Spudnik wrote: »
    Rats can make equally good pets, but I'm not sure that I'd get them solely on that basis :p

It's true that some people do keep rabbits and guinea pigs together without any problem, but it is risky (as detailed in the link that I posted before) and as such it isn't something that I'd recommend. I agree with your comments on keeping house rabbits, though - I currently have a foster girl and she's lovely, and I used to have one of my ow n. Unfortunately, the foster isn't spayed yet and as such has an awful habit of leaving me presents. As many as possible!

Any luck with finding cubes/piggies yet? Sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner - hadn't had chance to even look at the computer yet this week!

just read the link about pigs and bunnies together. ive just been lucky with them all i think. the rabbit grooms the pigs and they all snuggle up together. my last guinea pig used to sleep ontop of the rabbit when he was sprawled out. just wish i'd got some photos.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you want to keep housing costs low how about placing an ad on Freecycle asking for an old wardrobe/kitchen larder unit, or similar, which when laid on their back make an ideal home/run for guinea pigs ;)

You don't really need a lid on it as guinea pigs don't jump or climb like rabbits, so anything that's 18"-24" deep should be sufficient to keep them enclosed. You could then place a smaller cardboard box filled with hay to provide a private bedroom inside the run, which can easily (and freely) be replaced if it becomes chewed and/or dirty.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure