PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

chipped crockery, possible to repair?

I don't like using chipped cups, bowls & plates but hate to throw them out. Is is possible to just file the chip down (if so, what with?) so it's not sharp & less visible?

Would be interested if anyone does this. Many thanks.
"Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”

Comments

• Mags_cat
    Mags_cat Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2010 at 8:22AM
    I don't see why not - except that you'd be leaving an exposed "rough" surface (i.e. not coated in ceramic/pottery glaze) which is a good home for a build up of bacteria.

I'm not a clean freak by any means, but chipped mugs/plates get thrown out here if I can't recycle them as utensil holders/plant stands.

It's up to you and your comfort with *dirt* :)
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I dispose of mine when chipped too.

I used to buy cheapish (up to £20) everyday crockery sets but have become so fed up with the fact that they chip so easily. I bought a set 2 years ago from Tesco, plain cream set and it chipped almost immediately, with chips coming off in big slices from the dinner plates. It really should've gone back:o.

After that I decided to reuse rather than buy new for everyday. I find older crockery far more resistant to chipping. I picked up a set of old plain white dinner plates in the charity shop 6 for £2 and lots of pretty glass dishes. All still perfectly intact 18 months on. I dug out my wedding present china teaset, used a handful of times in 25 years, and use the side plates everyday. The china cups and saucers are used sometimes for desserts and look really pretty as well as giving a smaller portion.;).
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The chips expose the very porous pottery which harbours bacteria and moisture and encourages growth.. mine go in he bin immediately they are chipped!

I got 2 dinner services from studio cards years ago and they've done really well.. I have broken a couple but none have chipped they are really chunky which is fabulous.. They were half price at £25 for a 16 pc set.. so I got 2 lots.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    I would recycle them into something else like plant pots...

I buy mix and match stuff so when anything gets damaged replacing it is easy as I don't have to match it IYSWIM. I just keep the same shape and colours.
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • It is possible to glue the chips back in with an epoxy adhesive if you have them, but the repair won't be dishwasher proof and even normal washing up in hot water will wash the adhesive out eventually. Best just use the item for decorative purposes after that.

Pottery /earthenware is fairly soft and chips quite easily. Porcelain is harder and more resistant to chipping. Try to find some porcelain crockery and you should get fewer chips (as long as you don't drop it on the floor or something!)
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • I have just invested in a Corelle dinner set. My main reason was because I wanted something that was very light to handle but they are also supposed to be chip resistant ( made from glass) Corelle is popular in the USA and folks there seem to find they last for decades.

As sold here in the UK.....

http://www.worldkitchen.co.uk/CategoryProduct.aspx?CatId=28
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    I too find older china more resistant to chipping! and i dont mind mismatched china - find it charming actually. but saying that I had to buy a dinner service as i was short of plates for a family meal at christmas a few years ago so bought that white under a tenner one from Asda - and i still have it! used everyday and still no chips!
    I wont used chipped china either as i think its unhygeinic so its always smashed up to use to crock up plant pots!
  • meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I chipped an ikea plate today grr, so I guess it should have to go. It is a side palte so would only ever hold sandwiches really. If it gots boiling water on it to clean shouldn't that kill the bacteria?
  • I throw chipped mugs, cups and milk jugs but have been using a few saucers/plates with chipped edges for years without ill effect.

My reasoning is that its easier for bacteria to contaminate liquids but the edges of plates are rarely in direct contact with the food.

I would agree that older crockery is longer lasting - I started married life with a modern breakfast/dinner set but it quickly got trashed and for the last twenty years have been using the stock of plates, cups and glasses left over when my grandparents house was sold - mismatched yes but still going strong :) Must be 50 years old if they are a day but sadly I don't think that they will be in demand on Antiques Roadshow!

I use a motley collection old, unchipped saucers for individual plate pies - work great and they go into the freezer too without any problems. Cheaper than buying baking tins or foil trays :) and just the right size for pack-ups.
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just a thought - if you are determined to keep a piece with a small chip, couldn't you paint over the porous bit with something like nail polish or some sort of craft varnish to seal it? You might even be able to find a matching colour or one that wouldn't stand out too much, or just use clear if it is only sealing it you are concerned about.

I don't personally worry about the odd chip, though if it is in the part of the mug I drink from I tend to recycle or chuck it away as I am worried about cuts!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport