PDSA and neutering

Comments

• little_evo
    little_evo Posts: 384 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2009 at 5:59PM
    First of all I didn't "tell someone to get rid of their pet" - I simply stated the truth regarding the facilities the PDSA can offer, and why. If that comes across as harsh then so be it, nothing in this life is free!

I respectfully suggest you actually read what I wrote before just firing off an emotive response.

I did read your post and yes you did tell her she should not have a animal if she couldn't afford one as I quoted your post word for word. You posting that had nothing whatsoever to do with what the PDSA can offer but was your own personal opinion. And yes we all are entitled to our own opinions even if they are not necessarily correct.

Your first post in this thread to homeworkgirl just seemed to come across as very personal against her and why I questioned it that's all. :)

Good luck homework girl to getting a mate for the rabbit!
  • supersaver66
    supersaver66 Posts: 110 Forumite
    I know the PDSA is a charity but I can't believe they they could not lower their fees a bit if they really want to get the message across to pet owners to neuter their pets.

Yeah I have to agree with you there, alot of places do free neutering to help with the problem but it depends on where you live unfortunately.

I think my local PDSA has "neuter weeks" and "microchipping weeks" on offer to encourage people to neuter.
  • homeworkgirl
    homeworkgirl Posts: 373 Forumite
    Well I have to say thank you Chameleon for the info on the charity which do cover my area so I will contact them tomorrow. I would still prefer to have the rabbit from my neighbour if possible because I know that if it doesn't work out and the rabbits don't get on, she is willing to take him back again.
  • lazza_w
    lazza_w Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you knew exactly what was involved in neutering a rabbit you certainly wouldn't consider £45 to be expensive!

The combination of drugs used are more expensive too, so taking everything into consideration it actually costs the practice more to neuter a rabbit than it does a cat!

To put the drug costs into perspective, for one commonly used drug combination the amount of anaesthetic required to anaesthetise a 2.5kg rabbit is similar to the amount that would be required to sedate a 50kg Rottweiller. The operation is more complicated (or at least more fiddly) so takes longer and requires the same amount of surgical equiptment and suture material that a dog castration does.

Generally the cost of rabbit neutering is artificially low purely because of the perception that rabbits are 'cheap' pets. Mind you, that doesn't help you if you can't afford £45 either!
    Originally Posted by homeworkgirl viewpost.gif
    I know the PDSA is a charity but I can't believe they they could not lower their fees a bit if they really want to get the message across to pet owners to neuter their pets.
    There aren't the same issues of population control with rabbits that there are with cats and dogs though - if you have an un-neutered queen that goes outside it WILL be pregnant are least once each year. Irresponsible dog owners allow their pets to roam resulting in unwanted pups. It's up to you to choose whether you want to put to un-neutered rabbits together.

£45 sounds like they've lowered the fee anyway, given the additional costs and surgery time involved.
    "To be is to do" - Socrates. "To do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra. "Scooby Dooby Doooo" - Scooby Doo. "Boop de Doop de Boo" - Betty Boo.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

Mrcol, of course I would use a private vet if they were cheaper. I am just trying to get the point across that if the PDSA charges that much to neuter animals, particularly a small rabbit, then they are not going to have much success with their campaign to get owners to neuter their pets are they.

No, PDSA exist to treat sick and injured animals who otherwise would go without care. They are not there to promote neutering animals. Stop expecting everything to be paid for you.
    If you choose to get an animal that is not netued then you have to pay for it. The RSPCA and some other organisations do offer this service as a way of promoting good pet ownership but the PDSA is there to treat sick animals not to fund unemployed people who can't afford the animals they are buying.
  • Binbun
    Binbun Posts: 20 Forumite
    Hi Homeworkgirl

I understand your situation as I have been there too when my house rabbits mate died and she was pining too.

It might be worth considering a rabbit rescue in your area, this is what I did at the time. They have their bunnies neutered before they let them to a new home, you are more likely to get a bun nearer the mates age, as putting young bun with an older one can sometimes have its problems. Rescue I use did a bunny speed dating session for my girl, (put her in a pen with a grill between her and potential mates and if there interested in each other they will be friendly... if they're not they will turn there back etc)
    If things dont work out with the new bun, they will always take them back, and the cost for buying would be a donation of what ever you can afford. Rescues are so overrun with bunny from irresponsible pet owners, I am sure they will be more than helpful and grateful of an obvious caring owner like yourself. :A

There shouldnt really be any problems, if you need help with bonding your bun, let me know, Ive got lots of experience of this and (touch wood) so far havent had any failures.

Try the Rabbitrehome website for contact details of rescues in your area.... If you are anywhere near Warwick I know the perfect rescue owner for you to contact!

https://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

Best of luck with your bun...

Bb
  • f1re_cr4cker
    f1re_cr4cker Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    No, PDSA exist to treat sick and injured animals who otherwise would go without care. They are not there to promote neutering animals. Stop expecting everything to be paid for you.
    If you choose to get an animal that is not netued then you have to pay for it. The RSPCA and some other organisations do offer this service as a way of promoting good pet ownership but the PDSA is there to treat sick animals not to fund unemployed people who can't afford the animals they are buying.

i have some friends that are unemployed and have 2 rats a cat and a dog all under the pdsa scheme. The only time the dog ever gets flea'd is when they make an occasional trip there. i do often think people should have to pay for a license to have a cat or dog as that might help prevent people keeping animals when they can't really afford them
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    i have some friends that are unemployed and have 2 rats a cat and a dog all under the pdsa scheme. The only time the dog ever gets flea'd is when they make an occasional trip there. i do often think people should have to pay for a license to have a cat or dog as that might help prevent people keeping animals when they can't really afford them

Well, for those of us old enough to remember, you did have to buy a dog licence if you owned a dog but it was abolished about 20 years ago.

Also, something else that has just sprung to mind is that the PDSA will only allow you to register three (3) animals with them for treatment, or at least that was the case when I last did any work for them.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • f1re_cr4cker
    f1re_cr4cker Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    yeh i have a feeling they just take whichever rat is ill though as they are pretty similar...
  • mrcol1000 wrote: »

I really object to your insinuation that I "expect everything to be paid for me". If you had read my previous post you would see that I have ALWAYS willingly paid for all my pets' treatment at a private vet until very recently when through no fault of my own I hit upon hard times.

If I can't afford to have the rabbit in question neutered, then I won't be having him.....end of! All my pets are neutered which has always been done AT MY OWN EXPENSE! I have not expected anyone else to pay for it!

And the PDSA DO PROMOTE NEUTERING so get your facts straight before you start criticising.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure