Scanned receipts v Actual receipts

Comments

• sweep9
    sweep9 Posts: 407 Forumite
    With the system we use at work, I'd be happy accepting a scanned receipt.

As soon as a refund is done on that receipt, it automatically electronically marks the item as being refunded and will not allow another refund to be performed on it. Even works across different branches!
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    sweep9 wrote: »
    With the system we use at work, I'd be happy accepting a scanned receipt.

As soon as a refund is done on that receipt, it automatically electronically marks the item as being refunded and will not allow another refund to be performed on it. Even works across different branches!

Sounds like a sensible system! Out of interest, how do you identify the transaction if they don't have the actual receipt (ie using alternative form of proof) - do you just 'search' for it?
  • rjr1
    rjr1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I run a small business and photocopy a lot of the receipts for larger purchases. Modern receipts seem to fade quickly (especially the ones you get at the self serve filling stations) and I wonder what the tax man would think if I couldn't produce a receipt!
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    rjr1 wrote: »
    Modern receipts seem to fade quickly (especially the ones you get at the self serve filling stations) and I wonder what the tax man would think if I couldn't produce a receipt!
    Beat me to it...
    I bought a Halfords socket set with lifetime guarantee (provided I keep the receipt)... I have kept the receipt, but it is now literally blank. I did notice and managed to copy down most of the details by hand (scanning did not pick it up as it was so faded) and I am hoping they accept that when I next need to claim...

I would definitely scan in receipts now.
  • This raises an interesting question - how long should customers keep receipts for after purchase?

The tax man recommends keeping records for 6 years.
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    I guess it depends what it is for, and your reason for keeping it for.

eg, a till receipt for a pack of envelopes for personal use isn't going to have much use after a few months / they've all been used. But a printer you bought for your business you'd probably want to keep as long as possible 1) in case of a fault 2) For tax purposes 3) For insurance purposes.

I've only really started keeping receipts properly for a couple of years, but have no intention of getting rid of any yet - it's things like furniture etc mostly (from when we moved house)
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    aldredd wrote: »
    Sounds like a sensible system! Out of interest, how do you identify the transaction if they don't have the actual receipt (ie using alternative form of proof) - do you just 'search' for it?

Our system does the same. Without the actual receipt, we can search for sales of the product on a certain date (much easier with a bank statement!), or even via customer details if it's a larger sale.

The ones that I hate are when people don't have any proof of purchase and I have to search through three months of receipts, which take ages.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • Legally no lesser protection as Retailers don't even have to legally issue a receipt for goods/services paid.

Thats true, but generally receipts issued have watermarks and/or UV markings to allow the retailer to verify purchases (proof of purchase).

Rather than a copy of something/ photo-shoped/ scanned/ altered (not proof of purchase).
    ⚠ 2014 - COUNTDOWN TO INDEPENDENCE ⚠
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    aldredd wrote: »
    Interesting angle - as you're right - they usually cross off the item and mark it as 'returned'. Whether the retailers interests (loss prevention) come before consumer rights though... not too sure. I don't think they would like it - but not convinced (yet) that they can refuse to accept it.

this is true but they thay can just print off another copy of the scanned receipt and present with a stolen item.
    in our store we will only take the original recipt and never accept a scanned copy.
  • texranger wrote: »
    this is true but they thay can just print off another copy of the scanned receipt and present with a stolen item.
    in our store we will only take the original recipt and never accept a scanned copy.

Even if the item is faulty?

Do you accept bank statements or other forms of "proof of purchase?" Cant legally see how you can refuse to accept a scanned copy of the receipt if the persons item is faulty and they want an exchange.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure