Disabled

2»

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Aldo68 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your time or thoughts although I don't really think I need a dictionary definition. Unemployed & illness are not the same thing!!
    Yes I told them the information, problem ia as said there is nowhere to say you are ill or disabled & I think this should be changed.
    Cheers

Take the chip off your shoulder.
    Do you have a job? No,then you are not employed.
    If its better,Do as my mother in law does. Calls herself medically retired.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It also has me as having little chance of credit because I'm ' unemployed '. I am not, I'm disabled due to damage caused by cancer.

Are you employed, yes or no ? Plenty of "disabled" people are in employment, and plenty of "able-bodied" people are unemployed.

Sorry, I'm not wishing to sound harsh. Look at it in cold blood from the lender's point of view. Do you have a regular income from stable employment ? Yes - let's talk, we'd be happy to give you credit. No - hang on, how are you going to repay whatever debts you run up ?

The "disability" ( in whatever form that may take ) is largely irrelevant ( and, I would suggest, open to many forms of interpretation ). Being "Employed" is a straightforward yes-or-no answer.

The bottom line is, any lender is looking to make sure they've got an odds-on chance of their borrowers repaying what they owe. Perhaps understandably, Employed=Good, Unemployed=Bad. When it comes down to hard cold facts, the reason why a person is unemployed is irrelevant.

Like I say, I'm not meaning to preach, or cast judgement - just explaining how it works.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Since when have lenders recorded a customers employment status ???

Never seen that box !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone for your time or thoughts although I don't really think I need a dictionary definition. Unemployed & illness are not the same thing!!
    Yes I told them the information, problem ia as said there is nowhere to say you are ill or disabled & I think this should be changed.
    Cheers

I think this is perhaps as much as about the stigma our society places on umemployment as anything. Disabled does not have the same connotations as unemployed (although the current government seems to want to portray both as workshy). I do not work due to long term ill health. If there is an option on a form I put myself down as retired as I receive a workplace ill health pension.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Since when have lenders recorded a customers employment status ???

Never seen that box !!

Nor have I
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you have any form of Disability benefit? - DLA, PIP, for example? Have you applied for anything of that nature? The Problem being, that such Benefits cannot, by their nature, be counted as Income.

If not, I would ask your local Council, CAB, etc, for advice about possible Benefits. If you have a Social Housing landlord, they can also advise you.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Nor have I

Nor have I, never seen a question about employment status on the credit reference agencies.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Prudent wrote: »
    I think this is perhaps as much as about the stigma our society places on umemployment as anything. Disabled does not have the same connotations as unemployed (although the current government seems to want to portray both as workshy). I do not work due to long term ill health.

I didnt work for 6 years I wasn't disabled nor was I claiming any kind of benefits. It was my choice to be a stay at home mum my partner earned enough to support us, this was not a unique situation lots of people choose to so the same.

I was still unemployed.
  • I think the OP is getting confused between lenders asking for employment status (which is fine) and a CCA (which I have never seen on any of the 3 agency reports).
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    I would suggest that the OP ceases to respond 'unemployed' and perhaps should consider saying retired (if necessary clarified as 'medically retired').
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure