Mouse

My mouse cursor has suddenly started to jump up & down.

What causes this and how do I correct it?

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    wireless?

remove & install again batteries, take out receiver and insert again
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    ballyblack wrote: »
    wireless?

remove & install again batteries, take out receiver and insert again

No wired..............
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:46AM
    It surely can't be an old rollerball model can it?

Another probably unlikely one - if this is on a laptop and not a desktop is the trackpad turned off?
  • aardvaak
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    It surely can't be an old rollerball model can it?

Another probably unlikely one - if this is on a laptop and not a desktop is the trackpad turned off?

No it is not a rollerball it is optical it is a Logitech M90

Where do I find if trackpad is off it has been ok but just started this problem
  • kwikbreaks
    It depends on your laptop. Usually it's a function key.

Try moving your finger over the pad - if the mouse moves it's on. If it has just started playing up maybe you had it turned off but have inadvertently turned it back on.
  • aardvaak
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    It depends on your laptop. Usually it's a function key.

Try moving your finger over the pad - if the mouse moves it's on. If it has just started playing up maybe you had it turned off but have inadvertently turned it back on.

The laptop mouse works when I use my finger on it - it appears the problem is only with the plugged in mouse
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Turn the mouse upside down and look at the sensor (preferably with it disconnected from the computer, or the computer off*).

Occasionally with optical mice you can get a hair or similar stuck on the underside of the mouse or trapped in such a way that it is protuding into the optical sensor area with the result the mouse will get confused because it's picking up the hair/dust moving as well as the surface the mouse is on.

I've had it a couple of times in the last 15 years, usually gently blowing onto the sensor is enough to dislodge whatever it is.

*This bit is to cover my backside if it turns out you get blinded laser/light source.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    aardvaak wrote: »
    The laptop mouse works when I use my finger on it - it appears the problem is only with the plugged in mouse

Not if something is touching the trackpad while you use it, that is a major cause.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had problems with my wired mouse where the pages would scroll down further than my intention when using the wheel. So I opened it up, took it apart, reset everything and now it's fine.
  • kwikbreaks
    The usual issue with trackpads is that you can accidentally touch them when typing and that will obviously move the mouse. If it is on and always has been it's unlikely to be the problem but if you don't use the pad then turning it off is worthwhile imo. I always turn the things off and use a mouse as I can't get on with them and don't have the patience to learn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure