lack of statements

Options
i have been on a dmp with stepchange since 2004 , during this time I have not had a statement from Tesco , capital one , and sainsburys . I have wrote to them requesting statement but have not had any acknowledgement, are they obliged to provide me a statement of money paid and balance . what would my next step be to obtain statements ?

Comments

• Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    boozers5 wrote: »
    i have been on a dmp with stepchange since 2004 , during this time I have not had a statement from Tesco , capital one , and sainsburys . I have wrote to them requesting statement but have not had any acknowledgement, are they obliged to provide me a statement of money paid and balance . what would my next step be to obtain statements ?

Are these for CCs or loans? Are you sure the debts are still with the original companies and have not been transferred to a DCA?
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • charmed1318
    Options
    I'm doing a self DMP, and have recently emailed the companies asking for balances. A couple have got back to me. Have you tried phoning the right departments as they would tell you if they have been sold on, or spoke to stepchange preferably by email/phone.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

As suggested by Time to face the music, it is possible the debt may have been sold on. Whether the debts are with the original creditors or have been sold on, you certainly have the right to receive information such as statements of accounts if you are making the request to the correct company.

You can make a formal written complaint and threaten to escalate the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) if you still have issues.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Should statements be automatic? Or only by request?

I'm on a self managed DMP, some debts have been sold, some not but in nearly two years, I've not had any statement at all
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • Lips_and_Lashes
    Options
    I am also on a DMP with Step Change and I have never received a statement. Most of my debts are with DCA's but one or two are with the original creditor.

I recently wrote to them all requesting the outstanding balance and a break down of the debt. Some took a bit of a nudge and a little longer to reply but eventually I received them all. Thankfully, everything is in order.

I believe Step Change that balances are updated regularly, so writing to your creditors every 6 months might be a good way to stay on top of it.
    I AM DEBT FREE!
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Time_to_face_the_music Posts: 5,454 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 January 2015 at 6:24PM
    Options
    I really cannot emphasise enough the importance of regularly checking your balances against statements provided by creditors or DCAs. There have been several really sad stories on here about people who thought their DMP was almost over, only to discover that interest/charges had been added and they still had months or even years to pay.

Any balance shown on Stepchange or Payplan will always assume that no interest is charged and is therefore an estimate. If you are being charged interest, it is up to you to amend the balance to an accurate figure regularly and to fight the interest, also trying to get any already paid refunded.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    I keep getting statements every 6 months from quite a few despite not paying anything/much. State that required under CCA etc blah.

Look on your credit report, see who owns them. Write complaining about no statements.

Or,send to whoever you are paying.

You should be getting regular statements and definitely on request.

HB
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family