Aldi Family Tent - 9th June - Any Good?

Options

Comments

• bluckaneyr
    bluckaneyr Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I bought the same Aldi 6 man tent here in Ireland at 99.99 Euro last weekend..
    It is much, MUCH bigger than the picture indicates.

Although a fine tent, I have mixed feelings about it because there's no way I could put it up myself.
    You see, there are times when I would need a tent just for myself and other times when I would have one or two of the family with me.

Another point is that you would need to be a magician to get the outer tent, inner tent, groundsheet, poles and pegs back into the carrying bag it originally comes in, especially if you are packing up in any kind of breeze on a camp site.. So have an extra bag ready.

Now this is not a criticism of the 6 man tent.
    It's actually very impressive and is as it claims, a fine family tent.

I have decided to keep the 6 man tent rather than return it. It will do very nicely when I have more than myself.
    I have however decided to buy the smaller 3 man tent from LIDL - it's far more suited to a lone camper, being Size: 210 + 130cm x 210 x 130cm
    It's 40 Euro -
    See
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050616.p.Tent

Perhaps someone can advise me how "waterproof" the LIDL tent might be given that it is described as - Water proof 2cm "water column"
  • dfarry
    dfarry Posts: 939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hehe yeah you are not wrong about the Aldi tent... still haven't been able to get ours up yet to check it over.... maybe this weekend.... in the bag though it looks very small.

I reckon the Lidl one would be perfect for one/two people. :)
  • rolpaula
    rolpaula Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We bought the Aldi tent last week as well and yes it is much bigger than in the picture.
    We erected it in our garden the day we bought it and all slept in it that night for a laugh. Me and my partner in one bedroom the youngest in the other and the middle one he slept in the front area, plenty of room. We all used the airbeds as well that we bought from Aldi at the same time and they are brilliant too.
    We went away last Saturday with our tent, erected it quickly as the garden experience had taught us all we needed to know. Easy to put up but does need two of you or one adult and one child could manage it.
    Each bedroom compartment has room for a double airbed and a single airbed as we found it more comfortable sleeping head on double bed and feet on single bed.
    We had a fantastic time and can't wait to do it again.
    :whistle:Make Hay While The Sun Shines:think:
  • bluckaneyr
    Options
    I put the outer tent up this evening. It was dry, but windy and I had my 16 year old son with me.
    Feeding the two black poles through lengthwise plus the blue pole widthwise is tricky enough.
    And it takes time and patience. Especially the first time or two, until you get the hang of it. (at least that was my experience)
    I fear that several people might rush that job as rain approached (or worse, iin rain) only to shove the poles through the fabric!
    another point is to make sure you have soft shoes on because to work the poles through, you will probably need to walk on the tent, especially where the blue pole crosses the two black ones (and this is where the poles have to curve most also, to give the domed effect)
    It was windy here this afternoon, so the whole tent was rocking around until the guy ropes went on.

I didn't hang the inner tent, (hadn't time, to be honest) but that seemed to be more straight-forward.
    You will be astounded at the sheer space inside the outer tent, though!

If you manage to get everything back inside that carrier bag, you will have done well and you must let me know how?

The Aldi tent is not for "overnight and move on" use, it's not the kind of tent to put up and take down every morning!!

As for the Lidl tent, it seems very similar to one on offer from Argos.
    See their Kestrel 3 Person Tent. Argos are charging £40 Sterling (60 Euro) whereas Lidl are just 40 Euro.
    The Argos one states clearly that it has an "inner" tent - I'm not sure from the "blurb" if the Lidl one has an inner tent or if it's just one skin.
    If it has only one skin, then the Argos might be more waterproof and worth the extra money.

Any idea how waterproof the 3 man Lidl is with it's "Water proof 2cm "water column"??
    What is regarded as a reasonable rating?
    How does this "2cm water column" rate??
  • dfarry
    Options
    I can't wait to get mine up this weekend then just to see how cavenous it really is :)

The plan was also for our family... me, mum and our two young daughters to try it out in the garden.... also with the excellently comfy air beds from Aldi. :)

The 2cm/2000mm water coumn or Hydrostatic Head as I believe it is also know is the same on the Aldi one... in the UK/Ireland I think 1500mm is generally considered minimum and 2000mm or more is fine for the usual weather we get... I'm by no means totally clued up on all this though... so it may be better asking the question over here.... http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=3
  • bluckaneyr
    Options
    There will be lots of space for your mum, yourself and the two girls.
    Have a great weekend, dfarry!

I bought the Aldi inflatable mattresses too, but they are still in their boxes.
    Plus some camping chairs at under 10 Euro each.
    And the Aldi inflater (I've noticed, however, that it's only for 240V mains power and cannot run from the car, a pity)

I then dropped into LIDL where I picked up a very nice two burner gas stove plus a gas lamp which came with TWO gas cartridges. That offer was in their Irish branches a few weeks back, but some shops may still have them in stock. Very good value.

Many thanks for your explanation of the 2cm water column reference. I now see that the Aldi instructions booklet that comes with the 6 man tent also explains a little about this unit of measurement (see Page 4)

Well then, since you say 1,500mm is considered adequate and the LIDL tent offers 2,000mm, then it looks a better buy than the Argos one.
    I'll pick one up on Thursday morning, I can't imagine there being any rush after the spate of tent offers of recent weeks.

If the "summer" rain rises beyond the 2cm water column level in Ireland or the Isle of Man this "summer", I can always escape into the back of my Fiat Marea Weekender and drop the back seats for the night.
  • jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    there are some good tents at halfords here,
    http://www.halfords.com/opd_category.asp?root=1&id=296
    and this one and some others include free sleeping bags and airbeds too

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
  • rolpaula
    rolpaula Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And the Aldi inflater (I've noticed, however, that it's only for 240V mains power and cannot run from the car, a pity)

We bought the inflater for the air beds from Aldi there was two versions one for car battery and one for mains..............
    We also got a one ring gas cooker from The Range for £12.99 and four small gas bottles for a fiver.........have been told each gas bottle lasts 3hours....
    We also seen an electric barbecue for £14.99 at The Range which had been reduced by 25% but they had no stock left..........we left our name and number and they said they will ring us when stock comes in........
    Also bought electric cable from camping shop was expensive at £55 but a worthy investment we felt as it has a trip switch on it, it only had one socket on the end but we shoved a four-way extension in for our lighting,mini fridge and tele.......
    Admittedly we now have the camping bug!!! :D
    :whistle:Make Hay While The Sun Shines:think:
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Woohooo! I'm off camping on Friday! Just bought one of these :) (Salewa Khamsin 2 person, from camping shop)......lets hope I can put it up without a trial run :D

SALEWA_KHAMSINII2004.jpg
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• dfarry
    Options
    Theres been alot of discussion about the latest Aldi family tent now... in threads such as..
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=38614
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=37939
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=37535

Well I finally got around to putting my one up in the garden today and also took some pictures http://homepage.ntlworld.com/daniel.farry/tent/

I am very happy... it was easy to put up and there is stacks of room.... we are all going to sleep in it tonight.
    Now I have put it up once I could do it much quicker...as it was I was messing about trying to stretch it out exactly... but the outer tent could be erect and be guyed out in 20 minutes perhaps.
    One of my guy ropes were frayed but I just knotted it...there is a spare in the repair kit.
    My only criticism really is that the ground sheet and inner tent could be better secured together...as it is I think I will place some extra brass eye's in the ground sheet just to stop it gathering or lifting up as the kids run in and out of the tent.

There are three lengths of pegs... I assume you use whatever length is suitable for the ground conditions as there are more than you need... the pegs are OK... one of the long ones bent as I banged it down... but then my back garden is pretty stoney under the top soil and grass.

So if you see these other the weekend... hopefully these messages and pictures will help you make up your mind either way. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure