PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Affordable / social housing - avoid or a does it just have a bad reputation?

Options

Comments

• adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    State owned council houses eh? Well, the state also owns Buck House:

Stone me, whatever happened to good old British attitudes of decent, fair-play & tolerance.

I believe the op is concerned that the potential neighbours wont have those values.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    adonis wrote: »
    I believe the op is concerned that the potential neighbours wont have those values.

But those potential neighbours may also be owner occupiers.

When we bought our first house many moons ago, the valuation report referred to the fact that the house had been built amongst council housing and that it could affect the resale value.

Reality was you couldn't have wished for nicer neighbours (and are lucky that our neighbours in our subsequent home are equally as nice)

I think the general advice is to go and see what the neighbourhood is like at different times & different days of the week - though I would imagine if its an estate with lots of families, school holidays could show the estate in a different light during the holidays than in term time.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    This is why councils prefer developers to "pepper" affordable housing throughout the development, and build it in a similar style, to avoid the "them and us" problems and remove the perceived problem of "the house next to the affordable housing".
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Not sure what this has to do with the tenure of the housing?

I was wondering the same thing. My kids are 2 and 4 and, when we buy next year I imagine there'll be a lot of football kicking going on! Yes, even though we'll be owner-occupiers :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rosyw wrote: »
    Good grief! Children actually PLAYING and OUTSIDE IN THE STREET no less!

Whatever next!????

Yes, this is the unacceptable face of poverty in the UK today.

Social housing parents, unable to afford iPads for virtual football, send kids outside with a real one.

I never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After living in a housing association house which started off nice. Then some people moved out and the neighbours from hell moved in and it wasn't just one lot of neighbours it was a few houses. I would avoid living near any social housing.
    Married 09/09/09
  • kimbyanne
    kimbyanne Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We live on a new development in shared ownership which on the plans is classed as "affordable housing" so the same as the housing association properties which are the other side of the development.

I would probably ask if they were shared ownership or housing association. From the experience of living here, "our" end with the private and shared ownership is much quieter than the side of the development with housing association properties. That doesn't mean the housing association side is bad/rough just that there is a larger amount of families and children on that side so it's busier.

as others have said, you can get bad neighbours in private owner occupier housing as well. There is a family down the road from us who cause more problems than anyone else and they own!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    it's down to people not places. Bad neighbours are living in owner-occupied houses whilst good neighbours are out there too.

I recall seeing an episode of something like 'can't pay, won't pay' or similar when a nasty foul mouthed aggressive debtor was a well known (and still in the papers) actor from a BBC soap! Another equally horrid debtor was a well known rugby player. They both behaved like neighbours from hell outside their beautiful detached homes.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:32AM
    Options
    After living in a housing association house which started off nice. Then some people moved out and the neighbours from hell moved in and it wasn't just one lot of neighbours it was a few houses. I would avoid living near any social housing.
    The problem with this sort of anecdotal evidence is that it on its own it means nothing.

I had a whole row of social housing properties built behind a bungalow I later inherited, separated only by a wildlife strip with a few trees. I can't honestly say it made any difference at all over the 5 years or so before I sold, but who knows, maybe 6 months after that, some hellish families might have moved in.......so my anecdote is no good either.

The only bother I had with that place was caused by the 90 year old owner-occupier next door, who had her telly permanently turned up to 11.....till I lost a sale and complained, when her family finally put in a hearing loop.

I bet if she'd been a social housing tenant, I'd have complained sooner.....:o
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The problem with this sort of anecdotal evidence is that it on its own it means nothing.

I had a whole row of social housing properties built behind a bungalow I later inherited, separated only by a wildlife strip with a few trees. I can't honestly say it made any difference at all over the 5 years or so before I sold, but who knows, maybe 6 months after that, some hellish families might have moved in.......so my anecdote is no good either.

The only bother I had with that place was caused by the 90 year old owner-occupier next door, who had her telly permanently turned up to 11.....till I lost a sale and complained, when her family finally put in a hearing loop.

I bet if she'd been a social housing tenant, I'd have complained sooner.....:o[/QUOTE

I grew up on a council estate from the age of 5 and the street I lived on had neighbours from hell too. Made my parents lives hell. In the town i live there is three council estates that are nice. Rest are awful.

The neighbours were that bad it made my mental health much worse. I didn't want to be at home. In the end I moved for the sake of my health in to private renting. Having lived in 4 different private rented houses in four different areas in the town I live. I had no problems with neighbours. Now having been able to buy our house. We have nice neighbours.
    Married 09/09/09
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport