Add your feedback on energy supplier So Energy

Comments

• I switched to SO Energy Hippo in April 2017. They were not the absolute cheapest, but seemed the best value for a company with decent customer service ratings. The switch process was highly automated and efficient with good communication at each stage Everything was in place by the scheduled date. I did have to chase up my previous supplier who managed to close my account but continue taking direct debits(!), but this was not the fault of SO Energy.

Having suffered through a couple of suppliers with lousy billing systems, SO appear to have their act together in that regard with a modern look to their web site and their systems actually work. The first statement was exactly on time and correct, something that my previous supplier took 6 months to achieve.

Since the online and billing systems work fine, I've had no need to call customer service. I did ask a question by email and received a rapid response written by a friendly human.

So far,so good!
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Where has the past year gone? My contract with So (So Falcon) is ending soon and I received a helpful email showing their projections for next year (25% lower gas usage across the year with my new boiler and Hive!) which I checked against my spreadsheets and found to be spot on. Using these kWh consumption totals I went to MSE's Cheap Energy Club and ran the comparison. One or two suppliers with lower figures (and poor ratings), but only £1/month cheaper, so I opted to enjoy So for another year on their So Jaguar tariff. I've just emailed So to say how pleased I am to be their customer. After many, many years of toil and trouble with energy suppliers, they're great! I'm glad that most others are finding the experience equally painless.

One thing to add, So Energy give notice in their t&cs that they expect your account to hold at least one month's payment in credit. But on the other hand, they equally expect to manage your payments so that there isn't a large credit at the end of your contract (this statement made to me in a telephone call). It does look like this is happening because my payments are tapering down now.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Happy to report a smooth switch to the So Impala tariff. My SoEnergy account is now active and no contact with customer services has been required at all.

EDF have already returned my balance credit too. I thought they might take their time with that but I have been pleasantly surprised.
  • I've been with So Energy for a year. The introduction/transfer was painless (as it should be) and the service is second to none. I had cause to ring them for small issue and they picked up the phone quickly and resolved the issue promptly. I tend to switch every year to get the best deal but have had some horrors in the past by switching to certain companies (big and small) so was a little hesitant to try out this new company. The website is a joy to use. My tariff is due up in Sept 2017 and a quick glance at the other options shows several that are cheaper but they have terrible reviews. Some of the bigger companies like E.On (been impressed with them in the past) and NPower (meh!) are about the same price. I'm therefore going to sign up for a further 12 months as more than happy with the service. Would recommend.
  • Switched to So a year ago from one of the Big 6. Happy to say I am re contracting with them for another year.

Their customer service is good - I contacted them about a revised Direct Debit (an increase which they review every 6 months) which would mean that in the summer I would be in credit, but I didn't agree with the increase so they happily kept it the same - I still ended up in credit at the end of the year anyway!

Their bills are clear and entering your meter readings are easy, and they offer you their better tariff at the end of the year. I did a comparison and wouldn't really have saved much switching to another supplier with terrible customer service reviews.

They are also happy to bill you at standard rate electricity on an old economy 7 meter, which some suppliers will tell you that you'd need a new meter installing (at a cost of course).

Overall, great, small supplier.
  • abbeyscruffy
    abbeyscruffy Posts: 11
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2017 at 10:19AM
    I already use So Energy for my gas tariff. I have just commenced the switch for electricity from GB Energy to So Energy. As with my Gas switch last November, the switch procedure has gone without a hitch so far & I don't expect any problems based on my nearly 1 year experience with them.

They are by far the best energy supplier I have ever used to date. Bills are produced every month like clockwork. The few telephone contacts I've had with them have been excellent & the phone is answered immediately. They aren't the cheapest out there, but for me, they are the cheapest combined with good customer service.

I expect to remain with them for gas when the fixed tariff ends in November. They have one of the lowest exit fees out there, £5 per fuel including vat, just in case their fixed tariffs should become less competitive during the year.

For customer Service, I'd place them up there with First Direct. :j
  • Chop-D
    Chop-D Posts: 96
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have been impressed with So Energy and would highly recommend as a great company to deal with. I've come to the end of my fix and the prices are not as competitive me now so I am switching. Hopefully I can return in the future with a good deal!
  • db3745
    db3745 Posts: 448
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In December 2016 it was really good to have a simple transfer from my previous supplier, without the seeming avalanche of paperwork of previous switches. Through this year meter readings and reporting, and online statements were trouble-free.

My only reservations have come as I neared renewal time, and my only concrete complaint would be that having needed clarification on two occasions in the last 3 weeks I've had poor response to my web/email queries. In the first instance I obtained the answer by going on the Facebook page after 48 hours; today I am now 48 hours and counting. I would recommend phoning if you need a quicker response than that, but bear in mind the phone line is manned only 9 - 5 Monday to Friday. Other options are Twitter and Facebook, but there is no info as to which hours these are manned.

This fairly minor issue apart, I would definitely recommend So Energy.

One important warning for a new or prospective customer is that though the tariff you sign up to gives you a fixed price for a year these tariffs can be withdrawn and a new one introduced at any time. I've found that So changed their tariffs 9 times since I joined with the Gecko tariff last December. When I reported my readings in mid-November the plan on offer was So Kangaroo with a unit cost for gas of 2.64p. against my Gecko cost of 2.45p. I jotted that down, thought I'd renew when I had more time, and when I went back on a few day later found that So Kangaroo had been superceded by So Koala, so now I'm having to pay 2.78p for gas, a 13.5% increase instead of the 7.7% rise I could have got. Admittedly electricity has gone down by a small amount, but the advice is if you're happy with the rate on offer sign up before it goes.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 December 2017 at 9:44PM
    db3745 wrote: »
    In December 2016 it was really good to have a simple transfer from my previous supplier, without the seeming avalanche of paperwork of previous switches. Through this year meter readings and reporting, and online statements were trouble-free.

My only reservations have come as I neared renewal time, and my only concrete complaint would be that having needed clarification on two occasions in the last 3 weeks I've had poor response to my web/email queries. In the first instance I obtained the answer by going on the Facebook page after 48 hours; today I am now 48 hours and counting. I would recommend phoning if you need a quicker response than that, but bear in mind the phone line is manned only 9 - 5 Monday to Friday. Other options are Twitter and Facebook, but there is no info as to which hours these are manned.

One important warning for a new or prospective customer is that though the tariff you sign up to gives you a fixed price for a year these tariffs can be withdrawn and a new one introduced at any time. I've found that So changed their tariffs 9 times since I joined with the Gecko tariff last December. When I reported my readings in mid-November the plan on offer was So Kangaroo with a unit cost for gas of 2.64p. against my Gecko cost of 2.45p. I jotted that down, thought I'd renew when I had more time, and when I went back on a few day later found that So Kangaroo had been superceded by So Koala, so now I'm having to pay 2.78p for gas, a 13.5% increase instead of the 7.7% rise I could have got. Admittedly electricity has gone down by a small amount, but the advice is if you're happy with the rate on offer sign up before it goes.

I'm not sure what you really mean here.

Surely you don't expect that once a supplier sets a fixed tariff, it remains available ad infinitum?

All suppliers offering fixed tariffs withdraw tariffs and replace them from time to time - this is not unique to So Energy.

But you are correct in saying if you see a tariff you like, grab it as it may not be available tomorrow. If you choose a fixed tariff, the prices will remain unchanged (for you) for the entire duration of the fixed term agreed. If you choose a variable tariff, the supplier can change your rates at any time (upon notice)

As for contacting your supplier, then they offer many options.
    Some such as email allow you to quickly note down your query, send it off and await a response. You can do this any tiem you like, but similarly the supplier will respond when they like.

If the matter requires an urgent response, I would suggest you would be best calling them ... and hopefully they will give you the answer there and then :)

Their phone lines are open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
    (Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Years Day)
  • So_Energy
    So_Energy Posts: 47
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Organisation Representative
    db3745 wrote: »

Hello db3745,

I am pleased to hear that you have had a trouble free first year, the way we believe energy should be, simple and straightforward!

I am sorry that the responses you received by email were not satisfactory, could you please email myself at complaints@so.energy so I can investigate what happened and ensure this doesn't happen again.

We have made changes to our Facebook page recently. Any customer who private messages us will receive an automated response advising when the inbox in monitored. On the Facebook page under the 'About' section our opening times are published.

In response to tariffs being withdrawn and a new one introduced. We aim to keep our prices as low as possible and do have a low-price commitment. We look at the average annual cost of gas and electricity for an Ofgem ‘medium user’, across all regions of the UK, and make sure our fixed tariff is within the cheapest 10%. More information can be found on our website: https://www.so.energy/policy

There are times when our tariffs increase, there are also times when our tariffs decrease, this simply depends on the wholesale price of energy. As the cost of buying energy fluctuates so do our tariffs.

Thank you for your feedback, we hope your 2nd year is equally as trouble-free as the first.

Regards
    Nilesh
    So Energy Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback