Cat Flap in a cavity wall

Options
Doozergirl
Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
At the monent I can only find tunnel extensions that are tiny and clip together, meaning I need to pay £50 odd for enough plastic to go through a cavity wall. None of it is even going to be seen.

Any other solutions, please?

Put one in a brand new composite door?
Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.

Comments

• jrrowleyws
    Options
    These aren't that expensive http://www.catflaps.co.uk/White-Staywell-Tunnel-Extension-For-Walls-REL310 probably about 20 quid to go through a cavity.

I'd wonder if a cat would be happy using a flap with such a long tunnel?

I'd just use an appropriate diameter waste pipe to line it.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 December 2017 at 6:05PM
    Options
    I've certainly had one in a cavity wall, but it was there before I moved in. Reason not to do it; it, and the wall, got filthy, and it was extra-difficult to keep clean.

When I put one in a new glass door, I replaced a pane with wood, and fitted it there. Much easier to keep clean, and elderly (very) and infirm (you try telling him that!) found the shorter passage much easier to use.

I'm not sure, but I imagine it might be much more difficult to convince a cat not used to a flap already that a long-tunnel one wasn't the work of Beelzepup, leading to certain maceration.

Having said that, I'm also sure that I have seen cheap extensions for some catflaps. Have you tried Zooplus, where I get a lot of pet stuff from. Mind you, my wife might have got it herself, and she's a vet, so would have gone straight to the wholesale suppliers. Handy one to have about, she is.

Edit: just browsed Zooplus, and they don't sell the extensions alone. jrr above seems to have found something.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    jrrowleyws wrote: »
    These aren't that expensive http://www.catflaps.co.uk/White-Staywell-Tunnel-Extension-For-Walls-REL310 probably about 20 quid to go through a cavity.

I'd wonder if a cat would be happy using a flap with such a long tunnel?

I'd just use an appropriate diameter waste pipe to line it.

I was thinking both of those things. Waste pipe is cheaper but might freak the cat out!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I cut the hole myself then lined it with large cheap ceramic tiles
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    It’s about £50 more to out it into a new french door, so I think that’s the best idea. I can’t imagine going to the effort of a tunnel and then the cat turning its nose up at it!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    It’s about £50 more to out it into a new french door, so I think that’s the best idea. I can’t imagine going to the effort of a tunnel and then the cat turning its nose up at it!

Probably the best bet, you can never please cats ;)

If it absolutely had to go through a cavity wall I'd suggest a much larger diameter than 4 inch would be needed. Personally I'd be on the look out for some offcuts of 6 or more likely 9 inch rigid polypipe as I pass any conveniently located construction sites - obviously seeking permission from the foreman, and hoping they are an animal lover. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »

Whatever you spend £50 on, the cat will turn its nose up at it.

It'll love the wrapping it came in, though! :D
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A friend put one in where there had previously been a warm air heating duct venting into the house. They'd got a square hole about a foot square, lined it with wood through the wall then the cat flap set into a piece of wood on the outside.

We've just had a new patio door fitted in our new house and have had upvc panel as part of a side panel where we will eventually fit a catflap when we move into that house. A side panel with upvc at the bottom, a glass panel above plus a fan light window was £140 inc vat extra than the ordinary sliding doors that were there before.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    I cut the hole myself then lined it with large cheap ceramic tiles

That is what I did.
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We also made a wooden ‘tunnel’ I think from conti board. We then screwed the cat flap itself to the wood - flush to the brickwork.
    The cat didn’t have any problem using the ‘tunnel’, but if you have a cat that is used to a ‘normal’ cat flap it may need some re-training!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure