Do Banks care how many times you open a new account?

Just wondered if banks are likely to frown upon you opening new accounts just as dummy accounts for switching purposes.

I recently did a switch with a "spare" account but i'd like to start another before I can move the new "spare"

So it looks like it would be easy to open another "spare" account with my existing bank, but are they likely to cause problems if I open an account and then switch it soon and therefore cause it to close?

If I do this a few times will they stop me opening new ones or even worse close my main account?

Just wondered if anyone knew or had experience of this.
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• If you do it online nobody at the bank will care.
    If you do it in branch they will twig before long that you are wasting their time and find ways to cancel your appointments.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you do it in branch they will twig before long that you are wasting their time and find ways to cancel your appointments.
    I see what you did there - perhaps they'll let you leaf through some of the brochures though (or maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree....) ;)
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I see what you did there - perhaps they'll let you leaf through some of the brochures though (or maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree....)

I think if we root about on the board we might find the answer. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • mapk
    mapk Posts: 157 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I think if we root about on the board we might find the answer. ;)

Oh, just leaf it out! ;)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    eaglesrjh wrote: »
    Just wondered if banks are likely to frown upon you opening new accounts just as dummy accounts for switching purposes.

I recently did a switch with a "spare" account but i'd like to start another before I can move the new "spare"

So it looks like it would be easy to open another "spare" account with my existing bank, but are they likely to cause problems if I open an account and then switch it soon and therefore cause it to close?

If I do this a few times will they stop me opening new ones or even worse close my main account?

Just wondered if anyone knew or had experience of this.

Trying to keep on topic:)

I don't know if they would go so far as to close your account, but if I wanted to maintain a long standing relationship with the bank, then I wouldn't open more than one or two 'donor' accounts with them. There are plenty to choose from;).
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you switch to a new provider what is to stop you opening a second new account with them (eventually) and making that a donor account?
    You might be able to do that each time you switch rather than keep opening and switching at the very same bank each time.

Do it too many times and that might drive them 'nuts'... (sorry)
    As we know money doesn't grow on trees, or in the branches......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure