Birthday celebrations - paying for own meal

Comments

• pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

No prepping or washing up :)

HBS x

Must admit prepping and washing up can be a pain in the...!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    NeilCr wrote: »
    In my experience if you contact the venue and explain you have an intolerance they are more than happy to accommodate you

It’s not that difficult
    Indeed they might (accommodate someone with an intolerance).
    And indeed it's not (that difficult)

But with this proviso:
    Jellyb wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the price doesn't include any drinks and any deviation from her chosen menu (ie regular chips instead of sweet potato fries) will cost extra.
    the £40 that some people find expensive may become even more expensive. with a menu variation.

I think the menu might demonstrate the OP's friend's lack of thought/consideration for her guests.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 3:28PM
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I agree.
    I don't think 2 pasta dishes out of 4 choices 'covers as many bases as possible'.

Unless they do gluten free pasta, it would rule out people with wheat intolerance.
    And possibly people with dairy intolerance - both pasta choices sound like creamy sauces rather than tomato based.
    In my experience if you contact the venue and explain you have an intolerance they are more than happy to accommodate you

It’s not that difficult
    Indeed they might (accommodate someone with an intolerance).
    And indeed it's not (that difficult)

But with this proviso:

the £40 that some people find expensive may become even more expensive. with a menu variation.

I think the menu might demonstrate the OP's friend's lack of thought/consideration for her guests.

Again, in my experience, a change for an intolerance is not charged for in instances like this. It actually happened at our last Xmas do. Substituting something for another thing as a choice (I.e chips) is different to having to have something else because of an intolerance.

And, of course, it may be (like our lot) they all know each other well enough to know if someone has an intolerance or not and it’s not an issue.

Very difficult to cater for everything on a set menu. As opposed to lots of different choices encompassing various intolerances/allergies I’d expect to see a catch all about being told about allergies/intolerances

I think the menu is a generic one which is quite usual for functions like this. From bitter experience of organising dos over the years menus are just not going please everyone/fit their needs. Trying to cater for everybody’s needs/wants/allergies/fads etc is the road to madness

ETA. I’d be very unimpressed with a restaurant that charged extra for a change because of an intolerance or allergy
  • NeilCr
    pearl123 wrote: »
    I eat fresh home cooked food and consquently it is very noticeable that many restaurants are mostly using frozen food. You really can tell the difference.

Gosh. Glad I don’t live where you live.

It’s certainly not true of the restaurants we use down here. Indeed 2 of our 3 favourites have open kitchens which is something most of us like
  • Pollycat
    Again, in my experience, a change for an intolerance is not charged for in instances like this. It actually happened at our last Xmas do. Substituting something for another thing as a choice (I.e chips) is different to having to have something else because of an intolerance.

And, of course, it may be (like our lot) they all know each other well enough to know if someone has an intolerance or not and it’s not an issue.

Very difficult to cater for everything on a set menu. As opposed to lots of different choices encompassing various intolerances/allergies I’d expect to see a catch all about being told about allergies/intolerances

I think the menu is a generic one which is quite usual for functions like this. From bitter experience of organising dos over the years menus are just not going please everyone/fit their needs. Trying to cater for everybody’s needs/wants/allergies/fads etc is the road to madness

ETA. I’d be very unimpressed with a restaurant that charged extra for a change because of an intolerance or allergy
    I'd be quite surprised if it is (generic and usual).

You yourself posted
    I must admit I’m surprised there is no fish option

I suspect the OP has it right here:
    It feels like the staff at the hotel have done a very good job at flattering her by telling her it's her day and all the menu choices should be her personal favourites.
    That's the only reason I can think of for having 2 creamy pasta dishes on such a limited menu choice.
  • NeilCr
    I didn’t say it was a good generic one! :):)

Look, in the end we can go round and round on this. Bottom line, I think, is that some of us (including me) want to go along and help our friends celebrate their big days. If that means an overpriced, not great menu then that’s not a problem because it’s about our friends, not us. We’ve always been able to find something to eat

Others take a different view. Not one I agree with but that’s what makes the world go round
  • Pollycat
    I didn’t say it was a good generic one! :):)
    At last! :j

We have found some common ground. :T ;)
  • NeilCr
    At last! :j

We have found some common ground. :T ;)

Took us a while!

:j:j:beer:
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Any deviation from her chosen menu (ie regular chips instead of sweet potato fries) will cost extra.

Wow, sounds like a classy joint.
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    Food may be amazing. I didn’t get there was a stipulation you had to give a present. And, even if there is, we aren’t talking huge amounts.

But, secondary to the point. For us it’s about the other person - not us. For others it is clearly different. Which is fine. As you say don’t expect me to feel the same as you

Maybe the other person isn't that important to the OP? There are friends I would bother for and friends I wouldn't. I wouldn't fancy the menu much and would probably prefer to spend the £40 on something else and of course some people just don't have the money to spend £40 on a not very inspiring meal and perhaps not a very close friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure