myreading.net

Options
foofi22
foofi22 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi

I've received a voicemail message asking me to submit my electricity meter reading via phone or online.

The instructions also said I had to include my postcode and house number.

For an online reading the address given was "myreading.net"

Is this legitimate?!

I'm currently with Co-op Energy (smart move there!) however I can apparently submit readings online anyway...

Thanks

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a card through the door some months back asking for the same. Assumed a meter reader had been round and missed me. Ignored it anyway as I was giving readings online. Think a meter reader did eventually come round when I was in. Even though you can give readings online, a meter reader is still supposed to visit the premises at least once every two years I believe.
    I assumed it was legitimate, but didn't feel like putting my details into another website...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    foofi22 wrote: »
    Hi

I've received a voicemail message asking me to submit my electricity meter reading via phone or online.

The instructions also said I had to include my postcode and house number.

For an online reading the address given was "myreading.net"

Is this legitimate?!

I'm currently with Co-op Energy (smart move there!) however I can apparently submit readings online anyway...

Thanks

If in doubt, call your supplier and ask :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LowriBeck. It does seem somewhat bizarre for a meter reader to leave a card asking for a customer read that most customers are providing already on a regular basis. Presumably, it is proof that a meter reader did actually visit the property.
  • foofi22
    foofi22 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    If in doubt, call your supplier and ask :)

Logical suggestion, however Co-ops recent service levels may suggest otherwise! :)

ps there was no card through the door, just a voicemail message. Also, electric meter has been checked within the last year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    LowriBeck. It does seem somewhat bizarre for a meter reader to leave a card asking for a customer read that most customers are providing already on a regular basis. Presumably, it is proof that a meter reader did actually visit the property.
    Bizarre is it ? two fiddlers caught only yesterday, one whos had free gas for over 2 years, two more so suspicious in their ridiculous refusal excuse its blindingly obvious they re on free energy.Pity its useless EDF as supplier who refuse to act in implementing their Revenue Protection duties...so we carry on paying for this because EDF won t spend on RPU. Only BG will implement proper RPU so that is the reason energy theft will always continue on an upward spiral. Greedy suppliers and a backward Regulator who won t stop these suppliers putting the balance sheet first.
  • Vicarious
    Vicarious Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Googled the thread as just been called and asked to leave my meter readings on myreading.net

I'm with IRESA Limited and it never happened to me in the past, I always give them my meter readings online and was working fine.

Anyone had similar experience ?
  • H4w35side
    H4w35side Posts: 5 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just confirmed with my supplier ExtraEnergy is that this request for additional readings is NOT ligitimate. It seems that the link to the legitimate meter reading company Lowri Beck, is diverted to a .eu address and not.co.uk as it should be. I will not be submitting my readings to myreading.net. Hope that helps.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 1:20PM
    Options
    H4w35side wrote: »
    Just confirmed with my supplier ExtraEnergy is that this request for additional readings is NOT ligitimate. It seems that the link to the legitimate meter reading company Lowri Beck, is diverted to a .eu address and not.co.uk as it should be. I will not be submitting my readings to myreading.net. Hope that helps.

Why didn't you simply provide the meter redaings directly to your supplier when you were in contact with them? :huh:

The Lowri Beck website is here
    https://www.lowribeck.co.uk/

If clicking on 'My Reading' on their website takes you to a .eu address, then something would appear wrong with your computer.
  • rocketlauncher
    Options
    I have had 2 voicemail messages asking me to leave reading s on this website ,. I have ignored them as only a week ago did an on line reading. I haven't checked the website .. My worry is that with the reading they can transfer me elsewhere and no doubt pick up commission for the introduction?
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Vicarious wrote: »
    Hi,

Googled the thread as just been called and asked to leave my meter readings on myreading.net

I'm with IRESA Limited and it never happened to me in the past, I always give them my meter readings online and was working fine.

Anyone had similar experience ?

I've been with Iresa all year, like you I always submit directly via their own site, in fact Iresa send a monthly request to their customers to do just that, so you were right to be suspicious.
    footyguy wrote: »
    Why didn't you simply provide the meter redaings directly to your supplier when you were in contact with them? :huh:

The Lowri Beck website is here
    https://www.lowribeck.co.uk/

If clicking on 'My Reading' on their website takes you to a .eu address, then something would appear wrong with your computer.

Who says they didn't? H4w35side simply stated that they'd confirmed with their own supplier that the request didn't come from them. Just as 'someone' suggested earlier in this very thread.

They also acknowledge that Lowri Beck is a legitimate company, but the link they have doesn't lead to their site. I can't comment further on that without knowing the exact link H4w35side used.
    myreading.net itself does appear to be a legitimate site. looking at the source all off-site links appear to point only to lowribeck.com or thawte.com (the certificate signing authority).

May be something mistyped, you could be right that there's malware causing a redirect, or it could be a scammer has set up a similar site. Would be interesting to find out which.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure