MoneySaving Poll: What have you taken from a hotel room?

Poll started 11 August 2014

What have you taken from a hotel room?

Many see a hotel room as a free-for-all. They don’t just use things while they’re there – once they leave, they take all they can, sometimes crossing the border of legality.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    also breakfast items for later in the day (if breakfast is included)
  • I can't believe that 15 people have nicked the TV from the hotel room!
    Mark
  • OMG I am so shocked to see how many people steal things and so much. I had no idea things had got this bad. Quite shameful in fact.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If the hotel supplies shampoo etc in the small tubes,,it's hardly worth leaving an opened tube.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • I wonder what the responses would be like if it was broken down further by whether or not people were more likely to take stuff from hotels abroad. I tend not to stay in the type of hotels that supply toiletries etc in the UK, but when my OH and I went travelling I'm ashamed to admit to taking the toiletries and toilet roll from some of the nicer hotels we stayed in with tour groups...
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • BabyBoots
    BabyBoots Posts: 544 Forumite
    I agree with pollypenny - taking the remains of the shampoo/soap with you is on a par with half eating your breakfast toast and taking the rest with you to finish later- the hotel is hardly going to put it out again for the next guest. The same is true for single use slippers - they're not intended for more than one person to use. The hotel doesn't care whether you snack on the biscuits while you're in the room, or once you've gone out.

However, pillows, TVs etc - that's stealing part of the hotel furnishings - they're not consumable items. The hotel would expect to launder the sheets,towels bathrobe and reuse them.
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always take the toiletry samples. If I have used it at all, they can't pass it onto the next guest, so I view it as avoiding waste. However if I really like the scent, I will stick a part used bottle in my bag after the first use in the hopes that the hotel will replenish when they come to clean the room. Single use slippers are also fair game, they'll just end up in the bin otherwise!

I couldn't take anything that could be re-used, as that would feel like stealing to me, and I don't know why anyone thinks it's ok to take the TV, bed linen, pillows...
  • I hope the people voting TV were joking :-D (I considered voting for it for the hell of it, even though I never would and know you wouldn't get away with it!)

The biscuits, shampoo, tea/coffee and single use slippers are provided to you as part of the price, saying that is stealing is like saying taking a free breakfast included in the price is stealing food, it isn't.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If I like the toiletries provided then I will take any unfinished bottles (assuming they are a mini size) - once opened they are only going to be thrown out, they are provided as part of the room rate.

Similarly, the hotel doesn't know, or care, whether I ate the biscuits while I was in their room, or if I save them to eat on the train home. I wouldn't consider either to be stealing.

I've taken pens on occasions when I've realised I don;t have a (working) pen on me, and sometimes by mistake when I have put one in my handbag instead of back on the desk, but I don;t think that is stealing as mostly the pens are for advertising anyway, as they are quite happy for you to take one and be displaying their logos etc.

I once accidentally stole a towel - I'd borrowed it as I was staying over at a friend's part way through my 10 day, prepaid hotel stay, and took a towel with me, didn't need it and totally forgot about it until I got home.

Seeing that some people admit to stealing duvets and pillows I am torn between wondering how anyone would thank that was OK, and wondering how, in practical terms, you would do it... maybe I travel too light, I can't imagine being able to smuggle a pillow, duvet or TV out. (although I do regret not having asked one hotel I stayed in what brand of mattress they used - If I knew, I'd buy myself one!)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Mark_Beech wrote: »
    I can't believe that 15 people have nicked the TV from the hotel room!

In the hotel I worked in last we lost 3 king sized mattresses!!!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport