Crisp 10 pound note's to enter turkey

Comments

• I have only been to Turkey once, in about 1996, and it was £10 to get in then. It is a complete racket, but in a way it prepares you for the constant hassles and scams that you will encounter during your stay.

It is impossible to walk past a restaurant in a tourist resort without fending off their touts. Don't fall for them as these places offer mediocre food at inflated prices. You are far better eating at the simple little places used by the locals. And there is always someone trying to part you from your money. Even the shoeshine kids were a constant pain.

Turkey is also a very unhygienic place and you are likely to get food poisoning - we were both off work for a week after our trip. All these factors mean that we would never consider Turkey again.
    You obviously went to the wrong place. not all Turkey is like that in fact some places are nothing at all like that.
    travelover
  • notakid
    notakid Posts: 10,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    markccfc wrote: »
    Not having been to Turkey, what happens if you don't have it ?

I'm pretty sure that they will take the equivalent amount in Turkish Lira as one year I forgot (even thou I'd been there the last 3 years running!) and I paid with my holiday money.

If you haven't the visa you don't get in.

Turkey is one of the cleanest places I've ever been to, thats way we kept on returning, saying that I've only ever been to one place. Beautiful country and people.
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    what if i gave them a slightly used £10 note? don't they like that.. ;)
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have only been to Turkey once, in about 1996, and it was £10 to get in then. It is a complete racket, but in a way it prepares you for the constant hassles and scams that you will encounter during your stay.

Turkey is also a very unhygienic place and you are likely to get food poisoning - we were both off work for a week after our trip. All these factors mean that we would never consider Turkey again.

Hardly a racket! Most countries charge a fee for issuing a visa: the UK charges more like sixty pounds, so the tenner is a bargain. And it is convenient that visas are issued on arrival at the airport there, saving you the trouble and expense of visiting the embassy to obtain your visa in advance.

Your comments about hygiene are really unfair. Restaurants that mainly serve tourists often let standards drop because they don't need to worry about maintaining their reputation and getting repeat business, and that is just as true of London as it is of Turkey. The only solution is to make sure that you eat in places where most of the customers are locals: that way you have a more interesting and authentic dining experience, as well as a healthy one. My experience is that Turkish families, and the places that serve them, maintain very high standards of hygiene and quality.
  • whu
    whu Posts: 23,461 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to have £10 each for entry visa - I have been twice and did not feel over hassled (despite the impression that is sometimes given ) and did not have any problems with hygiene/food except one night in Istanbul - but that could happen anywhere - i know of people who have been to fairly pricey restaurants in London and have ben sick because of the food - enjoy your trip
    Keep the Faith:cool:
  • I live in Istanbul and travel back and forth to the UK and throughout Turkey...so hopefully I can add some useful info!
    You will need a £10 note for your 90 day holiday visa. It does not need to be crisp but must be an Emglish not and not Scottish. If you don't have a tenner you can pay in YTL but it will work out more expensive. If you don't buy a visa...you won't get in! If you go to any other non EU country you will have to purchase a visa wither once you arrive or through your travel agency. People must do the same to enter the UK...and the cost for our visa is higher than a tenner...I think a we get the bargain!
    In my opinion all airports are expensive for food and drink!
    As for the hassle experienced....in some places I agree with this and others not at all. Some people view it as the locals being friendly. But if you don't like it either try and head away from the touristy areas (so talk to the locals and find out where they tend to go) or get used to it! The turkish mentality is that this is not hassle and its them just being friendly (aswell as wanting you to buy or eat from their place!). Relax and try and enjoy it!
    Turkey is not unhygienic...and you cannot generalise. Travel or look around your area and you will find this is not true. Istanbul particularly has the same standards are places in the EU and the UK. There are places in the UK I would class as unhygienic (and at risk or getting food poisioning from) but I wouldnt say the UK was.
    Last but not least...enjoy your holiday!
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    You obviously went to the wrong place. not all Turkey is like that in fact some places are nothing at all like that.

Maybe we did! It was the Bodrum area. But it's pretty consistent with what others we know have said about Turkey. So we shall not be returning any time soon.;)
    Hardly a racket! Most countries charge a fee for issuing a visa: the UK charges more like sixty pounds, so the tenner is a bargain. And it is convenient that visas are issued on arrival at the airport there, saving you the trouble and expense of visiting the embassy to obtain your visa in advance.

Your comments about hygiene are really unfair. Restaurants that mainly serve tourists often let standards drop because they don't need to worry about maintaining their reputation and getting repeat business, and that is just as true of London as it is of Turkey. The only solution is to make sure that you eat in places where most of the customers are locals: that way you have a more interesting and authentic dining experience, as well as a healthy one. My experience is that Turkish families, and the places that serve them, maintain very high standards of hygiene and quality.

Well, it is a racket. It is not a proper visa at all, it is simply a tax. Visas have an element of selectivity about them. Is there another European country that blags you like this, as I haven't been to one? (Russia, possibly!) Turkey have their sights on EU membership which would end this scam once and for all, not that I think they will be admitted in the forseeable future.:o

As for hygeine, it is the filthiest country I've been to. Even standards in India were better than Turkey. As a former TSO I worked with EHOs for years so I've seen plenty of horror stories too. I did say the 'locals' places were much better - the tourist places were just vile. Their cavalier attitude to food, cleanliness, service and even honesty were despicable. And the constant badgering by slimy waiters in the street was cringeworthy.
  • sevlow
    sevlow Posts: 227 Forumite
    I have a home in Turkey and am therefore a regular visitor both in & out of the tourist season. I have several Turkish friends who run businesses - one a restaurant owner and one a chief.

I have found the general atitude to hygeine and food standards to be first rate so its unfortunate that a bad experiance many years ago has left such an impression on you. Of course we all tend to shout about our holiday horror stories but it is a shame that this has prevented you from enjoying what is on the whole a warm, friendly and beatiful part of the world.
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have been twice and their hospitality is great as you say friendly and the food is so fresh and the fish is superb.

My only complaint is that their mozzies love me and bite me to death.
  • We managed to pay the £10 on a card... they have one machine and it was a little nerve racking - wouldn't risk it (if I'd been prepared enough in advance...)
    DFW Nerd #131
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport