Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Comments

• frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Aapri used to do a combination cleansing lotion + toner - it was fab stuff and I've really missed it. I'm pretty sure it got discontinued quite some time ago. Can anyone suggest an alternative?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Magicstar_2
    Magicstar_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Hi
    I second the St Ives facial scrub, I use it all the time and always buy it when its BOGOF. I also like Boots cucumber face wipes which are 2.29 but often on BOGOF or for sale at 99p. Collection 2000 are excellent, I bought a compact the other week with shine away powder in for £2.99, its black with bright pink flowers on and has a mirror in the lid, bargain. Also like Collection 2000 nail varnishes, the one coat quick drying ones are excellent, go on well and last well, I think they are £1.99 but last time I bought some I think they were 2 for £2.49.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The St Ives scrubs are far too harsh for my facial skin (even the sensitive) but make really good footscrubs. Much cheaper than propriatory footscrubs, and often on offer.

A big pot of aqueous cream is a couple of pounds. Decant a tablespoon into a wide-necked jar, and stir in a capsule of starflower, vitamin e, or evening primrose oil. The very best thing I've used on my very sensitive hands and safe to use on the body for dermatitis (me) and eczema (OH). I also use it on my face when I have a rosacea itch.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=646261&highlight=cheap+make+up

this is a long running thread that probably has some useful advice on it (i've not read it all!). i guess it's more about good value for money rather than just 'cheap'.

or head over to OS for lots of info on making them yourself:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=168255&highlight=homemade+cosmetics
    :happyhear
  • harryharp
    harryharp Posts: 1,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=646261&highlight=cheap+make+up

this is a long running thread that probably has some useful advice on it (i've not read it all!). i guess it's more about good value for money rather than just 'cheap'.

or head over to OS for lots of info on making them yourself:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=168255&highlight=homemade+cosmetics

Like I said in my original post, I am aware of the first thread you mention- 'post your outstanding make-up here'. On that thread, people have done exactly that, ie. recommend their favourite products regardless of cost. I have no argument with this. The whole point of THIS thread is for people to share their own experiences of gems they have discovered in the beauty world which are CHEAP, but not only that- but which also equal or out-perform the much more expensive 'premium' brands.
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    well i'm sorry that your toes feel stamped on - was only trying to help....:confused: i thought home made cosmetics might be useful to people really trying to save money.....
    :happyhear
  • harryharp
    Forumite
    well i'm sorry that your toes feel stamped on - was only trying to help....:confused: i thought home made cosmetics might be useful to people really trying to save money.....
    Aaaargh....didn't mean it sound the way it did, sorry!! :o Just wanted to clarify.

Yeah, the other thread you mention sounds interesting!
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Just been to Aldi for other things, and plenty of the face cream (both day and night versions) was in stock :j :j (that's Aldi in London SE15/Old Kent Road).

The cheapie I have heard about (on the other cosmetics thread) but not yet been able to find is the Aldi rip-off of Touch Eclat. I'm told it's under £4 when available.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • harryharp
    Forumite
    Wasn't that Aldi Touche Eclat thing just one of their temporary offers, along with the Lacura serums? Or is it something that's supposed to be part of their regular stock? Looks interesting, as the reviews on the other thread are pretty good.

btw- I haven't found anything yet that's good enough to cover my dark circles...even the famous Touche Eclat, which I find very 'chalky'.

Anyone know of any fantastic concealers which are not expensive?
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    I recommended Rimmel Hide the Blemish in my earlier post on this thread, but like you, I'd be very interested to hear of any cheap options for a more "highlightery" concealer. I have never bought Touche Eclat or anything similar but I have dark circles under my eyes and my complexion often looks tired and dull.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family