PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    It's back to wild and windy again and the wind is baltic. I only went to the bin and my hands were frozen.
    Toast with crab paste and tomato for breakfast, I seem to be back to being hungry in the morning! I've some LO stew and carrots so will have those for lunch. Tonight is from the freezer- spiced chicken & lentils, pepper stew and pitta so no cooking today just heating up.
    It's "pay day" for me today and finally my tax code has been sorted out. Once I've updated my finances and various virtual budget pots I need to have a wrestle with Henry hoover as I've spilt some bird seed and my light hoover struggles with this. The kitchen floor needs a good mopping as well so will do that after lunch so it can dry while I'm putting my feet up this afternoon :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I was down to the last two spoons of instant coffee, so had to go out ... bought two jars, loaf of bread, 2x tinned tomatoes, 3 bananas, pack of sausage rolls, bar of chocolate, so spent about £4.30.

I'll probably do one, or two, of those wraps as pizza bases today/tomorrow as I've still got cherry tomatoes to use up and a whole bag of onions to get through. But the sausage rolls are there as backup in case I CBA.

Forgot to look for/buy chips while out, in fact, only JUST remembered. I used the last of the chips the other night when I nuked a felafel with chips and grated cheese as a late night foodfest.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 January 2018 at 11:37AM
    I am so glad you will be back on the straight and narrow re tax caronc, it has been a long time

All of you be careful underfoot outside, I only went to the shed and the decking is treacherous, I made sure to put weight vertically over foot when coming back. Looks nice out, sunny but will be too dangerous for a bike ride, even bt lunchtime, drat I am even changed for it but there will be icy bits under trees

I have been through a drawer of dried goods and am cooking some quinoa to keep cold in the fridge for 2 days, its a good protein food and will bulk up my soup nicely as well as giving the berries and stewed apple a bit of body. 6 minutes cooking, then 20 minutes standing with the lid on and fluff with a fork

Looks like it will be a cosy home day today, reading and relaxing

ooh PN, that just made me want to make some pizza dough for the freezer. I loved the pizzas from the pre-frozen dough. Was so easy to jusy spread it by hand and then top and I also have frozen tomatoes and frozen feta cheese and shallots in a pot.
  • I didnt know that trick re quinoa - I thought it was just "solid cooking" so to say.

I'd learnt that couscous just means = put in boiling water/lid on and heat off and then leave 4 minutes.

But I didnt know that one.

Any other such tips that might have passed me by?
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    it took another 2 minutes money, so 8 was good then it was ready 20 minutes later. I just had some in soup, was nice, the rest will go in the fridge for 2 days, if it lasts that long. Its a good standbye for cba days. I have cooked pasta similar in the past, just into boiling water, bring back to boil and switch off. It worked fine but times are different to normal cooking ie longer. Saves a bit of energy

Pizza dough is in process, I just checked the consistency and it will be ready to take out and divide in 1 hour. I will wrap individual portions and freeze, probably 5 portions. Tbh, those pizzas are favourite meals and I can top with nice things
  • PasturesNew
    I tossed some stuff at a wrap and shoved it in the oven.

Just 3 more in the pack to go. Hadn't had these ones before, Tesco packs of 8 small ones ... they weren't chewy like the L1dl/4ldi ones.

So far I've had: 2 wraps .... 2 with choc spread .... and one pizza topped.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,204 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bright but frosty, none on paths though

Lild was buying everything beginning with B this morning, quite by chance. Bread, baguettes, baking spuds & batteries. Avoided Biscuits, trying to lose a bit of weight

Zero YS to tempt me, but the bakers I chose are greedy guts huge and one is destined for tonight

Lunch was baguette, with last of cheese and started into the new not cheap piccalilli. I think it was Kittie who mentioned it. Very nice and not as vinegary as my usual stuff. Would buy again, but I now want to try some other brands once this pot is gone

Dinner will be one of the jumbo baked pots, with 1950s style salad and also back to the 50s, corned beef

Not got any but tinned fruit with evaporated milk would complete my retro meal

I noticed Lild have their veg seeds out now, another sign of spring. Didn't have time to look but a job to be done
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Toast and a smoothie for breakfast. I'm not sure the frozen spinach is really working in the smoothies so I may switch back to fresh when I've used this up.

A Quorn cutlet with lots of salad for lunch and I'm making spaghetti for dinner.

Farway wrote: »

Not got any but tinned fruit with evaporated milk would complete my retro meal

Funny, I was just thinking when I read that that it reminded me of my Grandmother, she would sometimes make that for pudding when we went round for dinner.:)

In the days when people said pudding, now people say dessert!:p
  • PasturesNew
    I'm having a binge-fest today .... so far I've got through:

1x wrap pizza.
    1x hot/toasted cheese/onion wrap.
    2 hot sausage rolls.
    12 squares of chocolate (50g).
    2 hot sausage rolls.

:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gin and tonic and frozen lemon slice just now, I felt the need, so I imbibed but owning up to never using a lot of gin, I measure 25ml

A rm is almost finished cooking and that is it for the day. I cannot knit at the moment due to a finger joint but am getting into a book about whitechapel long ago, it starts with a ho-are living on gin and that made me think of gin. I intend to watch tv tonight and if nothing good then I will watch something recorded, got to get engrossed as it is always knitting that keeps me awake to bedtime. I nod off very easily
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback