Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017.

Options

Comments

• bigbulldog
    Options
    Here's another great deal.....

Citroen Space Tourer 1.6 Blue HDI 115 Business M 9 Seat Manual

Cheap Lease deal for a 9 seat MPV
    Ideal for a large family or even needing the space of a van.

£59.98 per month over 18 month lease
    £2400 initial deposit

Total £3479.64

Motability costs...

Advance payment £2995

Monthly cost £248.95

Total £7476.10

Double the price if Motability DID 18 month contracts.

also the mileage is low,but again with the amount that's being saved financially this would cover the access mileage,insurance and maintenance.

Shall I preempt the excuses....

I don't need 9 seats or 9 seats are not enough etc etc.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    In all of this applying for a private lease instead of going through Motability is always down to the applicant having an excellent credit reference. Motability aren't interested in your financial position.
    Someone with a CCJ and a couple of late payments would generally not be able to get any private leasing deal. I could get finance over 4 years at a very low rate of APR to buy a £14000 car with no deposit costing under £300 a month. With a dodgy credit rating I would be shown the door.

This is where Motability come into their own - you are guaranteed a new car with no questions asked about your previous financial transactions.
    In fact Motability used to fund cars via HP. It used to be about £11,000 borrowed over 4 years with no credit check for a car that was under 3 years old.. Is it any wonder why they stopped that scheme.
  • bigbulldog
    Options

This is where Motability come into their own - you are guaranteed a new car with no questions asked about your previous financial transactions.
    In fact Motability used to fund cars via HP. It used to be about £11,000 borrowed over 4 years with no credit check for a car that was under 3 years old.. Is it any wonder why they stopped that scheme.

I agree with the above apart from PIP as as far as I am aware you can no longer get an indefinite award anymore as there time limited and in that respect I'm not sure that if your in your last year or two left on your PIP Motability would accept you for a new car.

In all honesty someone with CCJs,defaults etc would they really apply for car finance or a loan for that matter.???
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    I agree with the above apart from PIP as as far as I am aware you can no longer get an indefinite award anymore as there time limited and in that respect I'm not sure that if your in your last year or two left on your PIP Motability would accept you for a new car.

In all honesty someone with CCJs,defaults etc would they really apply for car finance or a loan for that matter.???
    I doubt that they would. So when people compare the Motability deal and the private lease on here, they must also factor in if they would get a private lease in the first place - Motability will be their only option. Much like the credit cards that were given to undischarged bankrupts - you would not get a good deal.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Indefinite was taken to mean unlimited when GOV wanted to 'barrack' legions of unemployed under the 'pendulum economics' era. The same word in the Blair / IDS era was interpreted as meaning unstated till DWP state it means now!
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Optimum_
    Options
    I think people have missed a point.

On a Motability scheme, literally all stresses have been taken from you. No need to worry about the car, all services are done by the car company. Smallest problem, take them to your dealers garage and it's sorted. Tires are taken care of by Kwik fit. Insurance is sorted. What more can we want?

We have a Qashqai and it's perfect. The only thing I've had to do is put the windscreen liquid in and some good old diesel. Everything else for the past couple of years have been taken care of by either Nissan or Kwik fit.

Now I know its annoying plenty of cars are no longer available and the prices have shot up (Qashqai model I have has had it's equivalent 2018 model advanced payment almost doubled, £450 > £800), but the variety is huge. There is something for everyone.

I would say, Nissan Qashqai N-connecta 1.5 diesel has been a blast. Perfect small SUV, that model comes with all the bits and bobs that folks here seem to be complaining about. Electric side mirrors, keyless entry and stop start button. 360 view camera + sensors. Auto braking, hill brake assist, auto lights, auto windscreen wipers, so many more things I can't even remember. Come on guys, all of this for little under £60 a week + £800 advance (that £450 I paid seems quite cheap thinking about it). You could probably get it cheaper going private but thats without insurance, without breakdown cover, without Kwik fit changing your punctured tire etc.

Like I said, new changes are a bummer, but we still have a great list of cars and we pay peanuts for the amount of service we get.

I'm also new here, hello all and have a great weekend :beer:
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Optimum_ wrote: »

On a Motability scheme, literally all stresses have been taken from you. No need to worry about the car, all services are done by the car company. Smallest problem, take them to your dealers garage and it's sorted. Tires are taken care of by Kwik fit. Insurance is sorted. What more can we want?

We have a Qashqai and it's perfect. The only thing I've had to do is put the windscreen liquid in and some good old diesel. Everything else for the past couple of years have been taken care of by either Nissan or Kwik fit.

Now I know its annoying plenty of cars are no longer available and the prices have shot up (Qashqai model I have has had it's equivalent 2018 model advanced payment almost doubled, £450 > £800), but the variety is huge. There is something for everyone.

I would say, Nissan Qashqai N-connecta 1.5 diesel has been a blast. Perfect small SUV, that model comes with all the bits and bobs that folks here seem to be complaining about. Electric side mirrors, keyless entry and stop start button. 360 view camera + sensors. Auto braking, hill brake assist, auto lights, auto windscreen wipers, so many more things I can't even remember. Come on guys, all of this for little under £60 a week + £800 advance (that £450 I paid seems quite cheap thinking about it). You could probably get it cheaper going private but thats without insurance, without breakdown cover, without Kwik fit changing your punctured tire etc.

Like I said, new changes are a bummer, but we still have a great list of cars and we pay peanuts for the amount of service we get.

Not sure why you decided to comment on a thread that's a year old, you must have searched well for this one.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Optimum_ wrote: »

Optimum I absolutely agree. As one who needs an automatic, I find reasonably priced private leases are like hen's teeth, and as soon as you need to do proper annual mileage (10,000 to 15,0000 miles per year as I do), then it becomes impossible. Add to that the fact that motability includes all insurance, tyres, maintenance and this really is a pretty good deal.

Yes, you can go out and finance buying a recent second-hand car, and some people feel that represents good value for them. Personally I find the motability scheme suits me down to the ground. We even bought one of my previous motability cars at the end of the lease for my husband to run (7 1/2 years ago). We knew the vehicle and all it's history, and the price Motability asked seemed to be very good value. It's still going now.

The choice has been restricted over the last couple of years, but that hasn't been as detrimental as I first feared. I'm currently using my 7th Motability car. The scheme has been great for me, long may it continue. :T
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    Another Automatic driver here.

I couldn't afford the advanced payments for all the extra's, they only quibble i had was i have had a Nissan Note for 9 years ( I felt comfortable in them that i stayed with the make and model) first 2 cars as standard had the roll bar, this is great for when i need the wheelchair, i can roll the seats back when i don't.

I had to pay £100 for the privileged this time, even though i feel the standard of make has gone down hill this time, the car feels cheap.

no electric heated windows, would love that, having to scrape ice off the inside of the car yes inside on a frosty morning, making me tried and in pain before I've driven to work :(
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • Optimum_
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Not sure why you decided to comment on a thread that's a year old, you must have searched well for this one.

Yep took me several weeks, it a was a difficult thread to find.

(Note: If you google 'Motability price rise' this is on the first page).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure