Brand-new Wickes hob top shatters in weeks

Comments

• zoob
    zoob Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 6 February 2018 at 10:33PM
    Unless its shattered or an obvious crack in hob when you took it out of its packing the hob was more than lightly fine when you got it and didnt have a fault.
    A lot of times when glass shatters very early in life is due to hob not being installed correctly, most common being the hob being clamped down to tightly at one edge from underneath, this puts a tension on the surface and it can be shattered very easily and thats sounds like the issue here.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jimmypick wrote: »
    Thanks for this. If it gets that far, would it be through the small claims and if I were to lose would I be at any risks for costs liability?

I don't think the complaint route is exhausted yet. We've only spoken to the store, not Wickes centrally.

I think my problem (and on this thread too) may be the use of the word "shattering" which conjures an image of broken glass everywhere, which implies we were extremely careless. The damage is very small but the hob is impaired.

Unlikely you’d have costs awarded against you, but the court does have discretion even on the small claims track. There are court fees to pay, and you would only get them back if successful. Plus the expert fee, which would be several hundred pounds.

I wouldn’t recommend going to court. There are risks, and the offer you have received is quite good. If you issue proceedings I assume they’ll withdraw that offer.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 10:19AM
    Thanks for this reply. I have student houses and have never had any sort of crack in a ceramic hob top - and judging by the mess they're left in, they're not exactly looked after!

My wife says she was very careful - she's hardly dropped something heavy! the problem appears to be that it hit the very edge. It's made a small chip and there's a crack gone along one of the hobs. I can't believe that something can be sold that's so flimsy and not fit for purpose and that the customer isn't entitled to a like-for-like replacement.

I offered Wickes pictures but they weren't interested.

Dropping something on the edge of a ceramic hob will cause a large crack across the face , I learned this the hard way when I broke 2 in the space of 3 months. The first one I bought a replacement for, the second I claimed for on my insurance.

It's not a fault, it's what happens when you drop something on the weakest part of the hob, i.e the very edge where it's at its thinest.

I would take the money offered any use it to replace it with one with a metal surround.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    OK, thanks for this. This is quite helpful.

Of course, my intention wasn't to drop saucepan lids, but I would have thought that would come under some sort of expected wear and tear. Lids sit on pans and sometimes at an angle to allow steam to escape. They must come off onto the hop quite often. I'm amazed that it was able to crack the glass top.
    'wear and tear' is general usage.

When you drop something onto something else, that's called 'accidental damage'.

I'd take Wickes' offer,
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The actual legislation in the consumer rights act states that goods must be of satisfactory quality. This is defined to include (among others) "fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied" and "durability". See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9/enacted and ignore the made-up rubbish from Greta Sharbo.

Now I would suggest that small bumps from pans are a common occurrence when cooking, and any hob that cannot cope with that is not fit for normal cooking, nor is it suitably durable. In the first instance I'd write back to the retailer, quoting the law and asking them to reconsider. Then follow-up with a letter before action and small claims court proceedings.

I can't see why you'd need some sort of independent report. Within the first six months after buying the product, any fault is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase unless the retailer proves otherwise. They've not even attempted this. Therefore either there is a fault, which is it the retailers job to fix, or the hob does this by design in which case it's not of satisfactory quality for normal cooking, and is also the retailers responsibility.

By the way, it's not surprising that you got a whole host of posters saying how it's all your own fault. Unfortunately these boards are populated by a lot of people who don't understand the law (you'll note no-one actually quoted anything relevant) and whose only reason for posting it to blame the consumer. It's sad that MSE don't do anything about it to be honest.
  • Pollycat
    The actual legislation in the consumer rights act states that goods must be of satisfactory quality. This is defined to include (among others) "fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied" and "durability". See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9/enacted and ignore the made-up rubbish from Greta Sharbo.

Now I would suggest that small bumps from pans are a common occurrence when cooking, and any hob that cannot cope with that is not fit for normal cooking, nor is it suitably durable. In the first instance I'd write back to the retailer, quoting the law and asking them to reconsider. Then follow-up with a letter before action and small claims court proceedings.

I can't see why you'd need some sort of independent report. Within the first six months after buying the product, any fault is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase unless the retailer proves otherwise. They've not even attempted this. Therefore either there is a fault, which is it the retailers job to fix, or the hob does this by design in which case it's not of satisfactory quality for normal cooking, and is also the retailers responsibility.

By the way, it's not surprising that you got a whole host of posters saying how it's all your own fault. Unfortunately these boards are populated by a lot of people who don't understand the law (you'll note no-one actually quoted anything relevant) and whose only reason for posting it to blame the consumer. It's sad that MSE don't do anything about it to be honest.
    I've had my ceramic hob for 25 years.
    I can't recall ever dropping a saucepan lid onto it.
  • ThumbRemote
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've had my ceramic hob for 25 years.
    I can't recall ever dropping a saucepan lid onto it.

No, of course you can't. Perhaps you're perfect. Perhaps it's such a mundane event that no-one would recall something so trivial. Or perhaps you're just looking for a reason to blame the consumer.
  • Pollycat
    No, of course you can't. Perhaps you're perfect. Perhaps it's such a mundane event that no-one would recall something so trivial. Or perhaps you're just looking for a reason to blame the consumer.
    Or perhaps I just have a good memory. :p

You see the hob as 'not fit for normal cooking, nor is it suitably durable'.
    I see it as 'accidental damage'.
  • ThumbRemote
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Or perhaps I just have a good memory. :p

You see the hob as 'not fit for normal cooking, nor is it suitably durable'.
    I see it as 'accidental damage'.

Lets face it, you'll claim anything if it allows you to blame the consumer.
  • Lets face it, you'll claim anything if it allows you to blame the consumer.

No one has to blame the consumer for anything seeing as they have freely admitted that something was dropped onto the hob surface and it was this that caused the damage.
    It's made of glass. Glass shatters or cracks if impacted by a hard object hence the warning in the user manual which was posted by someone yesterday.

Personally, I think the offer of a new hob for £126 when the original cost around £500 is a very good offer which the OP should take before it gets withdrawn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure