Learning to budget to make future adventures happen

Comments

• Hope the move goes well
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    I’m still here! Still in the old house! The move hasn’t happened this weekend as planned - delayed until hopefully next week - for loads of reasons! Big sigh! There is nothing I can do about it but loads of things we can do to make progress. We are tackling the loft today and taking some car loads over to the new house.

On positive for the delay is that the closer we get to the end of the month the more likely it is our first mortgage payment will come out in December giving us £1k extra. That would be marvellous! Fingers crossed.

I’ve been busy organising the utility bills for the new place and so far it’s going to cost us an extra £60 roughly a month. This is just about doable in the new year budget. We shall see though.

I have also had a little chat with the husband who has developed a rather unnecessary duty free habit during his weekly commute up north for work. Recent purchases include fresh ground coffee for £12.60!!!! (Which lasted a week bye), a bottle of expensive gin for sloe gin for Christmas (£17.99), and two bottle of prosecco to celebrate the house move when it finally happens £10.99......each). I told him this has blown our monthly spending budget and of course all of it is completely unnecessary. I’m still waiting for him to have his proper light bulb moment. Perhaps when we are on one income he will.

He has been invited on a European stag do next year which will cost £250 for a friend of a friend. He said he would like to go if he can! My heart immediately started racing as I’d like him to have fun however it is money that will be taken away from the family holiday/family fun. I spelled out to him the new budget and how tight it is and suggested I stay in work until Easter to pay for all of this. He got cross with me telling me I’d be unhappy so no. Why does he totally contradict himself like this? Actions and words are so different. Perhaps this move will really change him.

Crunchy xx
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • Sorry the move was delayed but the extra £1k will come in very handy!:D. Also taking bits over to the new house will mean less work on the actual move day so all good,

Does sound like OH’s lightbulb is only flickering at the moment. As you say though, once the reduced income kicks until you are up and running again, his bulb should kick in!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • crunch_time
    Morning diary!

We still haven’t moved! It’s a sore spot indeed. We drowned our sorrows in over £20 worth of prossecco last night!!! It’s was delicious with not a hint of hangover today.

We had a chat about money and updated spreadsheets. It looks like we will have circa £2500 left after the move. The plan at the moment is to use £2k towards the hmrc bill and then pay off the rest in instalments.
    The other £500 will be the start of our emergency fund. We looked at my budget spreadsheet in more detail and I’m certain I saw a little light flicker above his head seasodegal!! He said he would of course like more money but he also wants me to give up teaching. He has asked me to use nicer language about money and I have asked him to stop using his credit card when he is away for throw away purchases. The general consensus was that it would stand us in good stead to be careful for the next 6 months and get on a good footing again. A frugal Christmas was mentioned as was cutting out clothes for us for a good few months.Hopefully this is progress. Date I say it - the stress of the move is bringing us close together!!

In other money news, I am picking up a second hand version for £20 of dd’s £100 new birthday present today! Found on the tree of gum! Husband was getting in the spirit and looking for a bike for ds for Christmas.

The bigger news is I already have interest in my services for my new venture I’m starting next year! I’m starting to imagine myself doing it and it feels great!

Crunchy xx
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • The interest in your new venture sounds amazing, I hope it takes off for you.

Do you have a new projected move date? How frustrating that you haven't moved yet.

Christmas looming really is making saving a lot more difficult and working through that isn't the best. I am awful at saving. I have about £400 in my emergency fund, but want to get that up to 2k. Once I have something in my bank, I seem to spend it. I need an account that I can't access at all.

I love prosseco. I got a couple of bottle for my birthday so we have been working our way through them this week!

Hope you move soon x

Starting afresh.

• crunch_time
    Nicnak wrote: »
    The interest in your new venture sounds amazing, I hope it takes off for you.

Do you have a new projected move date? How frustrating that you haven't moved yet.

Christmas looming really is making saving a lot more difficult and working through that isn't the best. I am awful at saving. I have about £400 in my emergency fund, but want to get that up to 2k. Once I have something in my bank, I seem to spend it. I need an account that I can't access at all.

I love prosseco. I got a couple of bottle for my birthday so we have been working our way through them this week!

Hope you move soon x

Not yet Niknak! Its annoying but out of our control. We are focussing today on picking up the puppy!!!

I'm also the same as you regarding saving. I always seem to have something I really NEED but that seems to be changing now.

Don't tell the husband but I'm seriously thinking about staying on in teaching until Easter. (Gah!)

It makes sense financially, it is only 5 weeks of actual teaching then half term then 6 weeks. I worked out my childcare for the whole 3 months and took it away from my prospective earnings and I should make around £2900 which will go along way. Particularly if we are as frugal as we plan to be. It will be really tough especially as I will have started my course by then which will be an additional strain but 3 months in the grand scheme of things is nothing. If we really get organised and focussed we can do it.

Crunchy x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • You have to do what is right both financially and emotionally.

I'm trying to last the year out in order to pay off the majority of my debts. At Easter, everything changes for me as I've got loads that needs to be changed and sorted. That will mean a huge amount of savings for us potentially.

I'm sure the thought of leaving will keep you happy!

X

Starting afresh.

• crunch_time
    Morning diary,

We survived our first night with the puppy! Hardly any whimpering and we went out to the toilet twice. He is adorable. The cat keeps giving him evils though (ha ha).

My stipulation for leaving at Christmas was that the house move was done and it isn’t so I’ve definately got to stay. I’ll jist think of the money and my next steps and try and have fun with the children and ignore all the bull.

I’m going to make a list of all the blockages to my thinking and ways to overcome them.

Still no new in house move. Husband will chase today x
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
  • Yep, keep thinking of the money.
    Glad you survived with the puppy. Hope you have a good day.
    Good luck with chasing the move. I'm not sure why they always manage to drag their feet, but it means you will be in a better financial position, which is what you want.

Starting afresh.

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,566 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I have been in your position crunch - 2 young children, a job I absolutely hated and a husband urging me to leave probably because I was so snappy when getting home from work and overeating due to being miserable. We did not have debt (a necessary consequence of my job as mortgage arrears counsellor) but I was sceptical if financially we could manage as my husband is a fritterer and any attempts to restrict his spending went down like a ton of bricks. I did leave and money was extremely tight but luckily I got on a free training course and eventually got the job I am in now (retiring in December). It was the best thing for me but I think ideally I would rather have found another job first. I do not regret changing jobs though so once your finances are in place and you can manage then I would leave and do something else. Life is too short.

Your husband sounds like mine though in that he was not interested in budgeting so for that 6 months we fought just as much over money rather than the job though. Eventually it all settled down.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure