car hire overseas

Hi not sure if I am posting this in the right section. We are going to Malaga in a couple of weeks and need to hire a car. the hire companies need to take a large deposit on a credit card and don't accept debit cards, we don't have any credit cards would anyone be able to give any advice.Also the stand alone excess insurance would we take this out with a company
in the uk thanks for any help
20p savers club 2013#23 83.00 (2014 numer 6,70.00 pounds) 2036SPC No 6(2013) 182.34
2.00 savers club no 159
SPC No 7 2036(2014) 369.[2[ SPC No 8 197.45 (no 114)

Comments

• WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    https://www.malagacar.com

Haven't tried them myself
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    3431Anna wrote: »
    Hi not sure if I am posting this in the right section. We are going to Malaga in a couple of weeks and need to hire a car. the hire companies need to take a large deposit on a credit card and don't accept debit cards, we don't have any credit cards would anyone be able to give any advice.Also the stand alone excess insurance would we take this out with a company
    in the uk thanks for any help
    There's a thread or info on Excess insurance on this site.
    Worth a read but you can buy it much cheaper than you'll be offered by the car hirer.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Try Avis, they don't need a credit card but I don't know how competitive their rates are in Malaga.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you buy 'stand alone' excess cover, ie not from the hire firm, a credit card will be required by the hire firm to guarantee the excess amount. Paying them for full insurance without excess can remove the need for a credit card, which is probably the case with Malagacar - let us know how it goes if you use them.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • WAYT
    slinga wrote: »
    There's a thread or info on Excess insurance on this site.
    Worth a read but you can buy it much cheaper than you'll be offered by the car hirer.

But then they would need a credit card to pay the excess. Pay attention :)
  • WAYT
    Try Avis, they don't need a credit card but I don't know how competitive their rates are in Malaga.

AVIS would be my choice if they accept a debit card without needing to buy their supplementary insurance.
    MalagaCar have the usual Spanish rental car company caveats. Including a Half Full/Empty policy and having to purchase their supplementary policy in order to pay with debit card.

Of course one should buy standalone car hire excess if renting with AVIS.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    WAYT wrote: »
    AVIS would be my choice if they accept a debit card without needing to buy their supplementary insurance.

You don't need to buy their supplementary insurance to use a debit card.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure