Can my employer do this?

13»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Well if you aren't prepared to have your information on show, got either shouldn't say it or shouldn't post at all. Whether you like it or not, it is rude.

It really is about time this forum adopted the same rules as others and only allowed a short time for drafting amendments, and then stopped posts being deleted. This is not a free personal advice service.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dont see the point in deleting posts. Others might be interested in the situation and the posts might prove insightful. Confidential stuff shouldnt be posted in the 1st place on any public forum if that was an issue.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd be interested to know how undervalued used google to find the deleted original post. I just did it, and only found a link to the thread as it now stands, with all the OP's posts deleted.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    A0503 wrote: »
    thanks thread police. I deleted it because its my choice too - it was fairly outing and I'd rather it not be seen by someone who could identify and link it back to me in real life.

For those saying its rude - I have repeatedly thanked those who gave advice and individually thanked their posts.

well done on those detective skills undervalued :money: to be honest it was my further updates that I felt were more outing so my repeating my OP isn't a huge deal.

I don't think it IS your choice, TBH. Do you think you are so special that people will take the opportunity to help just you, without benefiting anyone who comes after you? And do you think people have the time to do this? This forum SHOULD provide an invaluable resource where people can search to see if their problem, or one similar, has already been answered.

You have CHOSEN to post on a public forum. If you reveal too much about yourself, that is your choice. (I do have sympathy with people who might reveal a couple of things too much when distressed. I don't think your post was one of those).

These are my opinions, BTW, not (necessarily) those of MSE, although I know some other board guides who are just as fed up as I am with people who delete their questions without realising that this can be seen as selfish!
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I don't think it IS your choice, TBH. Do you think you are so special that people will take the opportunity to help just you, without benefiting anyone who comes after you? And do you think people have the time to do this? This forum SHOULD provide an invaluable resource where people can search to see if their problem, or one similar, has already been answered.

You have CHOSEN to post on a public forum. If you reveal too much about yourself, that is your choice. (I do have sympathy with people who might reveal a couple of things too much when distressed. I don't think your post was one of those).

These are my opinions, BTW, not (necessarily) those of MSE, although I know some other board guides who are just as fed up as I am with people who delete their questions without realising that this can be seen as selfish!
    I agree. On other boards the guides have a role in helping people to edit out information they shouldn't have posted. Where someone has inadvertently given out too much information about themselves, there are better ways of dealing with this than giving them the right to entirely delete their posts.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    its_all_about_me_posters-r996e65bbad9a401abddf2a1f74fed694_aj2h_8byvr_512.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure