PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Comments

• Great thanks - I definitely think some new photos are in order! Good idea about the pans as there is plenty of cupboard space. We actually now have bedside tables in the bedroom rather than just a lamp (which the EA actually moved there for the photo!) but the updated photo the EA took was so blurry I asked for it to be taken down.

I'm not sure what to do about the 'big' bedroom in picture 6. Do you think it would be OK to take some furniture out and stage it for a photo (but then it look different if someone came round to look?). It probably has too much furniture in with a king size bed, cot bed, 2 x chest of drawers, shelving unit etc. It's actually a lovely big room!
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is a nice looking house although having lived in a three storey once I would never do it again but the description is a bit confusing. It says split over 3 floors and the hallway, cloakroom and garage are the ground floor and then says the kitchen diner is on the first floor implying that the kitchen and lounge are above the garage/hallway. But, the photo shows the kitchen doors as being on the ground floor.

The kitchen is described as kitchen diner but the photos don't show a dining area. I think the kitchen could be photographed from a different angle perhaps showing the units and window wall rather than the pan hanging wall.

The main bedroom could be photographed from a better angle as it looks like the bed overpowers the room. It looks like there are wardrobes to the left as you walk in? but the room looks small from the angle the photo is taken.

Removing the rug in the lounge would make it appear more spacious. I do like the rug but it gives an 'over busy' look to the room.

I would de clutter the garden to make it look a more restful area.

If I was looking for a house then the 120 to 130 would put me off. I would prefer it to say either 120 or 130 as then I would have a better idea of what to offer.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Given £120k could also buy you this, I think you're being optimistic even with the figure at the bottom end of your price range. I don't know what the 2 areas are like, but this place is far better presented, and with a more conventional layout than yours - townhouses are a slightly harder sell. The only downside is lack of a car parking space/garage, but many people would probably settle for onstreet parking in this case.

Therefore the reason is the same reason as it always is. Price. It's too expensive. Suggest you market it at £117,500 and take anything north of £115k. Even at that price, this is your competition.
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Great thanks - I definitely think some new photos are in order! Good idea about the pans as there is plenty of cupboard space. We actually now have bedside tables in the bedroom rather than just a lamp (which the EA actually moved there for the photo!) but the updated photo the EA took was so blurry I asked for it to be taken down.

I'm not sure what to do about the 'big' bedroom in picture 6. Do you think it would be OK to take some furniture out and stage it for a photo (but then it look different if someone came round to look?). It probably has too much furniture in with a king size bed, cot bed, 2 x chest of drawers, shelving unit etc. It's actually a lovely big room!
    Sorry - mistyped the number, I actually meant picture 5 as numbered by Rightmove (6 as numbered in the picture titles) (the one with the purple bed). I think a lot of the problem with that picture is the thing in the bottom left of frame - taking the picture so that that's not included (e.g. it looks like you could position the camera above it) would make some significant difference!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Make the colours neutral in bedrooms and sitting room, and hide the guitar, that is YOUR personal space, they need to be able to visualise it being their space.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I made the mistake of putting my first place on with a guide price... all it means is that you end up hoping for the top end, while no one wants to offer above the low end. When I did that, I got one offer of below the lowest price, and some people thought I should have accepted that. Put it back on with a different agent for 'offers above x', and accepted an offer 12% above X in the end. That was in a busier market than now, but at any rate, it was a better way of putting the pricing.
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    £120k seems reasonable based on other comparable recent sales, although the market certainly appears to be slowing with buyers and lenders being a lot more cautious.
    So recent sales may well prove to be the high point of this particular phase of the property market and prices might, erm, do something other than inexorably rise in the short to medium term (I'm trying to phrase it as delicately as possible to avoid incurring the wrath of the resident house price rampers and HPI happy clappers).

I'd definitely lose the ''guide price'' tag... at best it's just irritating marketing speak and at worst it might make people think it's an auction property and dismiss it completely
  • I'd definitely say that you would benefit from some better photos. Before having them taken I personally would suggest that you:

1) Remove the frying pans and aprons from the rack on the kitchen wall and the papers on the side of the fridge freezer for new photos. This will help to make the space seem less cluttered.

2) Make your beds more neatly for photos and viewings - although they're not exactly "unmade" they could be a lot neater for the photographs and viewings.

3) I'd turn around the bed in the "green" room so that it was under the picture on the wall and not right under the window. I think this would "open up" the room.

4) If you're calling a room a kitchen/diner you really ought to be showing as a space you can cook and also eat in. Consider putting in a table and chairs even if it's only the green set you currently have in the garden. At least you're then selling the idea that two people could enjoy meals in the kitchen diner.

5) Put away some of your garden chairs for photos and viewings to de clutter the garden a little.

6) Borrow or rent a power washer to clean off the green moss from your garden decking and patio slabs. This will help it look brighter and more attractive to buyers.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tiners wrote: »
    I'd definitely lose the ''guide price'' tag... at best it's just irritating marketing speak and at worst it might make people think it's an auction property and dismiss it completely

The £1k buyers' incentive sounds a bit fishy too.... why not simply knock a grand off the price?!?
  • Swingaloo - Yes slightly confusingly, the lounge is above the garage and the garden is out the back of the kitchen. I assume the house is built on a hill (if that makes sense). The kitchen definitely needs new photos and your other suggestions all sound sensible and I will take them all on board.

ReadingTim - the first house you link for £120k is comparable- the one on for £115k is in a less desirable area and I wouldn't consider comparable. Our house is in the catchment of a better (and very sought after) primary school. We do have a garage and a drive to park on (as well as on street parking)- perhaps the description could be clearer on that. My gut feeling is that it always comes down to price in the end!

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport