CEX/WEBUY Refusing to Refund

2»

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CEX are truly dreadful.

I bought a computer chip from them and it turned out to be defective. I returned it to the shop where I had bought it and was told a lot of nonsense, so I left it with them, sent an email, and also contacted my credit card provider. The card processed a refund before I even got a reply to my email to CEX, although they did later reply agreeing to a refund.

In this situation you are protected by distance selling regulations: you did not accept the item and so are entitled to a full refund. That is really all that you need to say to your card issuer. You should also inform CEX that you are arranging a refund. A separate matter: they allege that you were negligent in the way that you treated and packed their laptop, and so you should invite them to make a separate claim for this. They would need to demonstrate that the computer was in working order at the time you received it in order to get anywhere with this.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP you said you sent it back using a CEX returns label....who paid for & arranged the courier? Them or you?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • jamesmd
    jamesmd Posts: 10 Forumite
    Cex did via royal mail 28 tracked
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jamesmd wrote: »
    Cex did via royal mail 28 tracked

Then inform them if their agent (the courier) has damaged the parcel in transit, it is their responsibility not yours and that you cannot be held liable for the negligence of their third party.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jamesmd wrote: »
    Payment was made by Debit Card (Natwest Visa).

In that case contact your bank and ask them to do a chargeback with the reason "item not as described".

However I would also try and contact someone in the bank to give them the full background so that the bank are able to respond if CEX dispute the chargeback.

If the bank either refuse or reverse the chargeback then ask for a copy of their complaint procedure and complain that the bank have denied you a chargeback unfairly. If the bank don't resolve your complaint to your satisfaction then complain to the Ombudsman.

See the following for more details:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback
  • jamesmd
    jamesmd Posts: 10 Forumite
    I ended up resolving this matter by threatening to take them to a small claims court. They were sent a letter before action and refunded within two days. Thanks for everyones help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure