Do I get to keep the TV?

Now I know that if you're sent goods by mistake you have to contact the seller, tell them and then return them or you can be done for theft but...

On the 28 SEPT I was sent a TV I had cancelled and then been refunded for (£650). I went through the moral soul searching and, completely our of character, decided I should let them know.

I called the day it arrived and they said they'd call me back (I record my calls with an app...is that even legal?), they didn't, so the next day I called again, They said they'd call back again but didn't.

I read you should contact them in writing so I used "Resolver" and sent an email from a template essentially saying:
Me: 'you have 14 days or I'm keeping it'.
Them: "since you're at work during the day can you leave it with a neighbor?"
Me: "I'm not comfortable leaving it with a neighbor but I'm willing to take a half day if you tell me when you can pick it up."
...Then nothing for the last week days.

Now tomorrow it will be 15 days since they first delivered it. I'm thinking if they take another 10 days I've shown that I've tried to give it back and I'm keeping the bloody thing.

Legally am I treading a thin line? I don't think I should have to chase them anymore.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You can't keep it after only 14 days, neither can you charge them storage fees.

Why aren't you "comfortable" leaving the item (which does not belong to you) with a neighbour for collection?

I very much doubt this firm will be willing to write off a £650 television set..
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    Lydo wrote: »
    Now I know that if you're sent goods by mistake you have to contact the seller, tell them and then return them or you can be done for theft but...

On the 28 SEPT I was sent a TV I had cancelled and then been refunded for (£650). I went through the moral soul searching and, completely our of character, decided I should let them know.

I called the day it arrived and they said they'd call me back (I record my calls with an app...is that even legal?), they didn't, so the next day I called again, They said they'd call back again but didn't.

I read you should contact them in writing so I used "Resolver" and sent an email from a template essentially saying:
    Them: "since you're at work during the day can you leave it with a neighbor?"
    Me: "I'm not comfortable leaving it with a neighbor but I'm willing to take a half day if you tell me when you can pick it up."
    ...Then nothing for the last week days.

Now tomorrow it will be 15 days since they first delivered it. I'm thinking if they take another 10 days I've shown that I've tried to give it back and I'm keeping the bloody thing.

Legally am I treading a thin line? I don't think I should have to chase them anymore.

Legally the have six years to chase you for payment. Do you have that long to !!!! about?
  • I told them I'd take time off, I just need to know when. I don't really get on with my neighbor (I live in the middle of nowhere).

I should clarify I wasn't saying after 14 days I'd keep it, I'm just curious about:

a) whether I have made "a reasonable effort" in getting them their TV back.
    b) How long people would wait before just keeping them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    a) whether I have made "a reasonable effort" in getting them their TV back.
    No.
    b) How long people would wait before just keeping them.
    Six years.

You will be charged if you attempt to keep this item.
  • Ahh well, I'll stick it in the shed until they sort out picking it up.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't think its your job to keep chasing them. Let them chase if they want it back.

Offering to take half a day's leave for their screw-up is more than enough.

Frankly if you are at work during the week they should pay the extra charge to have it collected at a weekend.
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Ahh well, I'll stick it in the shed until they sort out picking it up.
    Just be aware that you can be held responsible for any damage, so a shed may not be a good idea even if it is clean, dry and locked.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I should clarify I wasn't saying after 14 days I'd keep it,

But that's what you say you told them?
    sent an email from a template essentially saying:
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Does the television count as "unsolicited goods"?

EDIT: Probably not. https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/can-i-keep-goods-delivered-to-me-by-mistake
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    RHemmings wrote: »
    No it is not unsolicited goods.

The OP ordered the goods. I.e. they were solicited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure