Bank advice fee claiming

Options
Hi - I've made a claim for mis-selling PPI for a mortgage taken out with Barclays which has been successful. However Barclays also charged me over 600 pounds for their advice at the time of the mis-selling which I had flagged to them and had assumed would also be refunded with interest but it hasn't. Whilst not PPI I'm sure that they should also refund me for this fee which I think was added to my mortgage rather than taken as a one off payment. Before I dispute this has anyone else had a similar experience and could advise? Many thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    However Barclays also charged me over 600 pounds for their advice at the time of the mis-selling which I had flagged to them and had assumed would also be refunded with interest but it hasn't.

Advice charges were only made on investment class business and not insurance or mortgages.
    Whilst not PPI I'm sure that they should also refund me for this fee which I think was added to my mortgage rather than taken as a one off payment.
    The only charges that are added to the mortgage are mortgage product charges. Not an advice fee (as Barclays dont charge for mortgage advice)
    Before I dispute this has anyone else had a similar experience and could advise?

I think you need to clear up what fee it was for as there appears to be some confusion here.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    Highly unlikely it was an advice fee from a bank

a lot of mortgage products come with product fees - you get a lower rate and pay the product fee or you get a higher rate with no fee.

These are often added to the mortgage

chances are it was that and no it is not recoverable.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure