Hargreaves Lansdowne - foreign dividend withholding tax recovery

I have a Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP & hold a large value in dividend yielding Swiss stocks. Swiss tax authorities require Swiss companies to withhold 35% of dividends payable resulting in a significant loss of income. It is possible to recover this withholding – I do it with the help of an accountant in a share fund I have. HL already provide this service for US stocks but decline to get involved with Swiss withholding tax – the process is paper based & a little complicated.
Is anyone else in this situation? Has anyone found a workaround? Are there any other providers who do recover foreign withholding taxes on dividend receipts?

Comments

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 5:58PM
    The treaty puts the max dividend tax at 15%. If 35% has been withheld by the Swiss you should claim 20% back. Then you can use the 15% payable to Switzerland by treaty as a foreign tax credit on your UK taxes. I don't know anything about Swiss taxes, but other countries have forms where you can claim the treaty tax rate and get a refund.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Thanks Bostonerimus - but the problem is that your individual SIPP is the tax payer & would be the claimant. As a consequence Hargreaves Lansdowne needs to put the claim in since it is effectively the trustee of the individual SIPP - & it won't act.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Jimbo53 wrote: »
    Thanks Bostonerimus - but the problem is that your individual SIPP is the tax payer & would be the claimant. As a consequence Hargreaves Lansdowne needs to put the claim in since it is effectively the trustee of the individual SIPP - & it won't act.

Oops sorry, I missed the SIPP bit which is vital. The treaty rate for dividends held in a pension fund is 0%. As you say you need to get the pension administrator to sort this out.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure