Your Bangernomics successes

Comments

• MOT failure time.
    02 Picasso hdi 2.0
    Recent new battery, auxiliary belt and clutch.
    Failed on drop link, welding, rear brake pipes, orange bulbs too faded, headlight too dim, wiper blades.
    :(

Quoted £243 to repair and pass.

I'll sleep on it. Any thoughts?
  • For dim headlights use sanding lotion followed by glass Polish. For orange bulbs use same procedure....

Wiper blades is easy.

For the welding try autosol with a metal brush, but it may be too late.

Rear break lines can look quite bad, but sometimes a simple clean is probably all they need.

Drop links, are easy to do yourself bit the problem is rusted nuts. If you do change them it may be a good time to change the rear suspension.

Then maybe try another mot centre.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • lazer-zxr wrote: »
    MOT failure time.
    02 Picasso hdi 2.0
    Recent new battery, auxiliary belt and clutch.
    Failed on drop link, welding, rear brake pipes, orange bulbs too faded, headlight too dim, wiper blades.
    :(

Quoted £243 to repair and pass.

I'll sleep on it. Any thoughts?
    Seems very reasonable to get another 12 months of motoring.
  • Seems very reasonable to get another 12 months of motoring.

i agree, the bulbs wipers and headlights are easy DIY so possibly some dosh can be saved there, but i too would be having another year from it then see what it fails on next time.
  • i agree, the bulbs wipers and headlights are easy DIY so possibly some dosh can be saved there, but i too would be having another year from it then see what it fails on next time.

Thanks guys, I've obtained a breakdown from the garage £50 brake pipes; £11 drop links; £80 weld; £4 bulbs; £12 wipers ; £20 labour, +VAT.
    Ive instructed them to go ahead with the repairs, seems reasonable, and I do have a lot of faith in the car itself, even though it's not the most entertaining car, it is our second car, and ideal for DIY, my hobbies, and short journeys round the town. You are right, its a reasonable amount for another year of motoring.

Thanks for the opinions though, much appreciated.
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    I like the term Bangernomics!
    My car cost far too much to qualify, I spent just over £2k on my vectra 55 plate. Mind you it is going on 5 yrs since I bought it so I think it counts!
    Had a real tough decision just before xmas, £500 repair or not. I went with the repair for two reasons really, 1 there is every possibility that whatever I replaced it with would need some work, 2 I am sentimental!.
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
  • Farzackerly
    Farzackerly Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Frudd wrote: »
    My car cost far too much to qualify, I spent just over £2k on my vectra 55 plate. Mind you it is going on 5 yrs since I bought it so I think it counts!
    Had a real tough decision just before xmas, £500 repair or not. I went with the repair for two reasons really, 1 there is every possibility that whatever I replaced it with would need some work, 2 I am sentimental!.
    Well, if it was 2K five years ago, it would be right in Bangernomics territory now, anyway.
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2017 at 11:35AM
    £600, previous owner had this since 2005, and was a garage owner.
    needs some welding on the exhaust, and a service. 19 years old, 140k, and next year becomes a classic for insurance.

I've still got the other also. Which is now 20 years old so goes on a £190 classic policy.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS05MzExAC1mOGE3LTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA8RIWyKS2wZNrOqMnRFntQAHAKmbZXbqQn9NjtpV8oS49YUAAAIBDAAAAKmbZXbqQn9NjtpV8oS49YUAAQahSKEAAAABEgAQALuKcy9xwpdFoqksb5jz4lY%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=edkyLGffOE2iuvNavpamhjAiAlYgbdQYLiWXukhStL5CqlImSwnpfZZCqO4lx9LvEdwKTuB5Tnk.&token=cf1b7ffd-73e0-4e1e-99a2-fba90192db23&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 12:13PM
    Frudd wrote: »

Mine lasted 12 years, 8 years in my ownership. Only got rid when it's 2nd gearbox exploded. It already had issues with the rear wheel camber causing excessive tyre wear, wasn't worth fixing for the cost v extra tyre costs and the radiator had a minor intermittent leak, so when the GB went I figured it was probably time to scrap it.

I looked around for a newer one, but they stopped in 2009 and phased in the Insignia. I won't buy a car that doesn't have a proper handbrake though, so I got a Mondeo.

Vectra was a damn good car though, MUCH better built than my newer Mondeo.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • markelock wrote: »
    £600, previous owner had this since 2005, and was a garage owner.
    needs some welding on the exhaust, and a service. 19 years old, 140k, and next year becomes a classic for insurance.

I've still got the other also. Which is now 20 years old so goes on a £190 classic policy.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS05MzExAC1mOGE3LTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA8RIWyKS2wZNrOqMnRFntQAHAKmbZXbqQn9NjtpV8oS49YUAAAIBDAAAAKmbZXbqQn9NjtpV8oS49YUAAQahSKEAAAABEgAQALuKcy9xwpdFoqksb5jz4lY%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=edkyLGffOE2iuvNavpamhjAiAlYgbdQYLiWXukhStL5CqlImSwnpfZZCqO4lx9LvEdwKTuB5Tnk.&token=cf1b7ffd-73e0-4e1e-99a2-fba90192db23&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

And what is it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure