PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Don't want to sell my house

My partner had an affair, left me and moved out 6 months ago and we have a joint property with a mortgage. I live here with my children (they are not his). I can afford to stay here and I want to but he rejected the figure that I offered him to buy him out. The offer was very good and he would have made a very good profit in the short time we have had the mortgage but he went to see a solicitor and threatened to take me to court to force an order of sale if I didn’t put the house on the market.
So, I put the house on the market and we have now had an offer which I do not want to accept as I don’t want to move. I was hoping that there would be no interest and he would get bored and take my original offer.
Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stay at the property?
Thanks

Comments

• aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Let him take you to court.

As you have offered a good price the court will look at that, as long as it is a good offer he will be made to accept that rather than put the house on the market.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    How does your offer compare to the offer you've received (remember EA's costs, etc).
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How good was the offer? 50% of equity?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Unless the offer you've received is considerably better than what you previously offered your ex, turn it down (calculate te EA fees, legal costs etc).

Repeat your offer to your ex. Or if the offer you've received is less, then reduce your own offer to your ex.

Taking you to court will cost your ex in both time and money, and tthe court will look at both the value of the offer you've received and the offer you made your ex before eciding what to do.
  • He would be making more money on this offer
  • It was 50% of what we thought it was worth but we put the house on the market for a lot more to give it a go and now someone has offered just under the asking price which will make him a lot more money than what I was originally going to offer him.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Match the offer minus the EA commission
  • why can't you put an offer in that is better than the offer on the table?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,913
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Are you sure this offer is genuine and not somebody set up by your husband?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Slinky wrote: »
    Are you sure this offer is genuine and not somebody set up by your husband?
    Interesting thought.

Not sure how OP can find out.......

But if it IS genuine, then I can understand ex not wanting to accept a lower than market value offer from the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure