Saving for a wedding

Options
So....I proposed to my girlfriend on Friday, now Fiance. And we're thinking about saving. We're thinking the wedding to be in two years so hoping to put away £500 a month into a savings/ISA account. We will most likely need access to this account to withdraw for deposits before the intended date.

We're just looking for advice on the best accounts or ways to save anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance,

Jay & Jenny

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congratulations!

The starter article is http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account but regular savers are likely to fit best and give the highest return....
  • jgeorge1983
    Options
    thanks, we'll take a look :)
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't get dragged into the 'must have this, must have that' production line wedding planner scenario where you feel you need to invite a zillion people and spend a zillion pounds.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    We're thinking the wedding to be in two years so hoping to put away £500 a month into a savings/ISA account.
    That's TWELVETHOUSANDPOUNDS.
    Think how you could better use this money rather than spend it on a party for other people. It could give you a terrific entry into a long and happy partnership.
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    If you manage to save £12000, use £2000 for the wedding, £2000 for a lovely honeymoon, and £8000 towards your future!!!
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • Sean473
    Sean473 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gambler101 wrote: »
    If you manage to save £12000, use £2000 for the wedding, £2000 for a lovely honeymoon, and £8000 towards your future!!!

Couldn't say it better... I know someone wasting tonnes of money on a wedding and it's mad... Your better off putting that money towards a house etc,,
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not each open a Flexdirect account with Nationwide and use the Flexclusive regular saver?
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 April 2017 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Congratulations!

Of course you are free to spend your money how you like, and you and your fiance should have the wedding you want...but I agree with all the posts about not spending so much on your wedding!

Don't forget that it's YOUR and your fiance's day first and foremost and a day for your families' second. Small and intimate is just as good as (if not better than) large and lavish!

Don't fall for the £50 (or more) a pop flower arragements for each table! About 10 years ago a couple of friends of my partner's from college got married. They are Indian and they had about 6 different celebrations (paid for by parents) across India (for the various cousins and friends of friends etc.). Then they had one in the UK for all their British friends. We went along, it was great! It was set up in some golf course on the edge of London and was catered by an Indian Restaraunt from Knightsbridge. There were about 300 guests. I believe that celebration alone cost £40,000! They are now divorced! My partner and I thought they didn't look too happy as they greeted the arriving guests and we were right!

Concentrate on your future not just the one day of your life.

Regular savings accounts seem your best bet though for any amount of cash you want to save for the short term.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So....I proposed to my girlfriend on Friday, now Fiance. And we're thinking about saving. We're thinking the wedding to be in two years

Just elope and get married now. Weddings are a humungous extravagance. Have a celebration party for family and friends on your return.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Get the parents/grand parents to pay for it, to reduce their assets.

Reducing the estate to cut down on 40% inheritance tax. So, if they contribute £10,000 , £4,000 is from the Treasury.

The council cannot claim this is deliberate deprivation of assets, for the purpose of avoiding care home costs. Or can they?

You can always pay them back or just support them in their old age.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure