Tooth extraction question

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Have you tried lactofree milk?

Yes, if you look on the carton, it explains the milk is not suitable for lactose intolerants which is what I also found to be the case as it didn't stop my symptoms, the issue with dairy intolerance is that the proteins which affect people are not just found in the lactose, this means that you need to avoid not just lactose but dairy as well. It's a long story I found out the hard way through many years of bad digestive issues, but it's safe to say the lacto-free milk didn't work for me. (Soya, almond, oat...etc are all suitable alternatives but I've not found a soup which uses an alternative milk for their soup, hence sticking with miso, consume and so on to avoid the need to chew).

Thanks though.
  • jenniewb
    Forumite
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Jennie - I would say to anyone in a similar position, listen carefully to the post-extraction advice given by the dentist, and ask for a written-down version of it if you don't feel you'll remember it.

I haven't jumped in here with the advice I usually give to my patients - because advice can sometimes be specific to specific patients, and I don't know any special circumstances for you - or anyone else who might be reading these pages.

But not being able to eat normally for several days is not what I tell my patients to usually expect. Most would probably be eating pretty normally the day after.

As I said - individual circumstances might be different - so the advice given by the dentist at the time is the most important thing to take note of.

Thanks- I wish I had been able to take notes- fact was I was a bit shakey (as in actually shaking) I'd also not left home for the appointment with a pen or paper and my phone was off. I'd not expected to have the tooth out at all let alone that morning so it was all a bit of a shock and I am still years later affected by the injections enough to put me in a bit of a daze afterwards. It didn't help that the area around the tooth where the injection needed to be was so swollen and infected that it hurt a lot lot more than it usually does to have the injection in the first place.

I do remember my dentist telling me a lot of stuff and I was trying to note it down mentally, but I don't remember anything beyond the cotton wool swab and I vaguely remember her saying it wouldn't heal for 1-2 weeks and something about 3-4 weeks...it's a huge blur in my mind but I was pretty wary of ending up with another infection so it was important to err on the side of caution; I don't have the strongest immune system at the moment!

I think I can chew OK now- it's been a few days. I have not tried crunchy things which could get caught anywhere, but things like steamed vegetables, porridge oats, soups with steamed vegetables...etc all seem to be OK. I'm hoping the area will be OK as it seems to be miles better in only a few days which is not what I'd expected given the reading up I'd tried on Google!

Thank you for your replies- I think I'm OK, still a bit sore and it feels odd enough that I can't use both sides of my mouth atm, but I don't think I'm looking at an infection, it's just healing.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Yes, if you look on the carton, it explains the milk is not suitable for lactose intolerants which is what I also found to be the case as it didn't stop my symptoms, the issue with dairy intolerance is that the proteins which affect people are not just found in the lactose, this means that you need to avoid not just lactose but dairy as well. It's a long story I found out the hard way through many years of bad digestive issues, but it's safe to say the lacto-free milk didn't work for me. (Soya, almond, oat...etc are all suitable alternatives but I've not found a soup which uses an alternative milk for their soup, hence sticking with miso, consume and so on to avoid the need to chew).

Thanks though.
    There are no proteins in lactose. It's purely a sugar.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    LABMAN wrote: »
    There are no proteins in lactose. It's purely a sugar.

They mean lactase.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,829
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Yes, if you look on the carton, it explains the milk is not suitable for lactose dairy ?
    intolerants which is what I also found to be the case as it didn't stop my symptoms, the issue with dairy intolerance is that the proteins which affect people are not just found in the lactose, this means that you need to avoid not just lactose but dairy as well. ....

Thanks though.

Think you are confusing lactose intolerance and dairy intolerance in what you wrote.

I get your point though. Lactofree milk is great for anyone lactose intolerant but useless for anyone dairy intolerant as its main ingredient is milk.

Lactase is an enzyme.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You're not a smoker are you?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Lactase is the enzyme that digests lactose, so lactose intolerance is caused by an inability to produce lactase. Some lacto-free milk, is where the lactase is added.

Finding what you are intolerant to, can be a voyage of ( often unpleasant ) discovery.
  • jenniewb
    Forumite
    Pennylane wrote: »
    You're not a smoker are you?

Noooo! Very very definitely not! I can't even do passive smoking without feeling like I want to vomit!
  • jenniewb
    Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 2:20AM
    Turns out I have a dry socket now and an infection (literally) the other side of my mouth....I thought I did everything right! Maybe I jumped the gun in terms of chewing things again, I thought I was good to go after 2 days of various types of miso soup, soya based hot drinks and salt water rinses, but I guess I got that wrong :/ Though I think the infection was happening before the tooth came out.

Not sure if the dry socket is my fault or not, my dentist seems to think they can happen to anyone randomly sometimes.

Which means I am now unsure if I need to change anything or if there really wasn't anything I could have done- I wasn't even at the point where I was eating things that 'crunched', steamed vegetables and cherry tomatoes were about as "crunchy" as I had gotten.

Hoping things work out better after the antibiotics. At least I remember what I was told after this appointment!

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for the lactose/lactase dairy confusion, I know what I mean even if I make no sense to anyone else!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,070
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 June 2017 at 9:39AM
    Turns out I have a dry socket now and an infection (literally) the other side of my mouth....I thought I did everything right! Maybe I jumped the gun in terms of chewing things again, I thought I was good to go after 2 days of various types of miso soup, soya based hot drinks and salt water rinses, but I guess I got that wrong :/ Though I think the infection was happening before the tooth came out.

Not sure if the dry socket is my fault or not, my dentist seems to think they can happen to anyone randomly sometimes.

Which means I am now unsure if I need to change anything or if there really wasn't anything I could have done- I wasn't even at the point where I was eating things that 'crunched', steamed vegetables and cherry tomatoes were about as "crunchy" as I had gotten.

Hoping things work out better after the antibiotics. At least I remember what I was told after this appointment!

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for the lactose/lactase dairy confusion, I know what I mean even if I make no sense to anyone else!

They do occur quite randomly, although they are a lot more common in smokers (so you're doubly unlucky) Antibiotics aren't really that much help - but although they can be very painful - they do get better themselves after a few days.

NOT eating for longer would not have helped! There is a bit of an argument that eating SOONER might have! If the socket had been disrupted a bit more and fresh bleeding had been gently stimulated by chewing normal food - the washing action of the fresh bleeding MIGHT have helped. This is not scientific though - just my thoughts on it. That's why my GENERAL advice to my patients is to eat pretty normally from the next day. And my patients still get infected sockets every now and again.

As always though - go on the advice of your own dentist and ask questions of your own dentist rather than goodness knows who on an internet forum.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure