PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i have a bob ready to go ...but it would be last resort as i have supplies of water and lots of tins of salmon/ham/corn beef ( thanks dad) who supplies me every week.....just had a phone consultation with doctor sometimes if i twist to the right...i get a sharp pain about 3 inches down from my right armpit.....dr thinks its a trapped nerve and basically i have to put up with it unless it happens often enough to affect my quality of life....hope it doesn't... take care
  • I guess no one could envisage how difficult life would be if you were caught away from home in an event that then stood between you and the safety of home base. I never leave home without my survival tin and all its useful contents it comes with me everywhere even in the bottom of a handbag if we go out for a meal. It's small, discreet and no one but me knows it's there and is my tiny insurance policy that would give me at least a chance of making it through problems and difficulties until I COULD get home again.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)Karmakat, you'll have to ask NewShadow, I literally didn't think to save a copy.

NewShadow, would you mind forwarding that PM from GQ over to me, please? GQ seems to be okay with it?

The scenario is really interesting - in my present state of health (and age!) and given the population density around here, I don't see me out-competing anyone for scarce resources. The only advantage I might have is that as an older woman (who's let her hair go grey :) ) I might be a bit invisible to the dodgier types of folk around ...
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone watching this evening?

OMG, they've given Rochelle another tin to butcher with that old fashioned tin opener again! :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As a retired caver, I'd be in a couple of minds about a nice cave. The somewhat fallen in cottage has far more charm and is easier to weatehr proof in the short term, but caves tend to be cold. Now, I don't mind that overmuch but if the rain starts then both a fire routing the smoke up and out of sight becoems harder to achieve and the odds of flooding increase. Which when you're even a bit underground can mean you're suddenly using less space & wondering a bit about what the weather's up to out there, uphill. To be fair the competition is from other troglodytes and we're usually pretty sociable folk. Share food & drink & before you know it, you'll be learning folk songs & nifty knots in minutes.

Thanks to various holidays I know where assorted holiday cottages are that seem to be used only in summer - naturally In Some Event I expect their owners might head there, but frankly those are potentially emergency larders. Bothies are more honest about their limitations, but knowing where they are could prevent hypothermia long enough for you to figure what next.

Escape safe. Who'd have thought grey hairs could be a defence mechanism?!
  • Well - you know grey/white hairs have to come in handy for something - considering how one can even make a noticeable change in appearance once the hair has changed colour and not even friends comment on it:(.

Mygawd - are we that invisible when hair changes colour?

Am beginning to understand why some women start dressing very colourfully/eccentrically come "old-er" age. Maybe time to get in practice at that before "old" age hits...
  • Invisibility usually means safety!!! being the 'grey' little old lady on the outside doesn't necessarily reflect the prepper and absolute rebel on the inside it just leads folks to assume that you're safe to ignore and won't be a threat, they can happily pass you over and if as I know many of us do you dress 'down' then it's not just invisibility but camouflage too. I like to blend into the background because by doing that I can keep a good eye going around me to assess what other people are doing and exit if I feel it's unsafe after all who would stop a little old lady from hurrying for the bus???
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    You're making me laugh. There was no more a stereotypical old lady than my grandma. Sadly she died at the age of 74 but she didn't have one grey hair. Jet black was my grandma's hair colour and she hated it because she would receive comments about dying her hair and very affronted that she didn't. If we're bothered about what other people think or say then they will always get to us I reckon.

I have grey increasingly peppered throughout so I followed my granddad's white before the age of 50 gene by the looks of it but that's ok. I've given up being bothered about my appearance in terms of what others think. I'm happy in my own skin... being ashen and unable to breathe kinda gives me a sense of what's important.

Saying that though money. I haven't worn purple... and fancy it of late. Given I'm a brown/black/blue kinda girl I wonder if I'm hitting 'old age' before my time because I saw a cardi on an older lady not long back and admired it, along with her Doc Martin's :D Throw caution to the wind. Who cares who's watching or judging... the last laugh is on them as they just don't know eh? ;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) A few months ago, I was walking through my city one morning when my eye was caught by a vintage coach, a proper old charabanc, beautifully restored.

In each and every seat was a lady d'une certain age wearing purple with a red hat and roaring with laughter.

And I was as jealous as all-come-out and really wished I was on their outing as I bet they were a riot and having a lovely time.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Let outrageousness rule! To celebrate my weight loss last year, my DIL insisted that I should buy some jeggings. I fought a swift rearguard action and lost. I am now the proud owner of a pair of bright pink jeggings.
    I wore said jeggings when I visited a friend of mine who was very jealous of my weight loss. I had stepped out of my role as her fat friend, you see. "All I can say is, thank goodness you are wearing a long coat," was her only comment.

All my life I have tried to melt into the background, well, no longer.
    Does it make me conspicuous? I jolly well hope so.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business