Can my creditor access my bank account history?

philly_001
philly_001 Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 7 February 2018 at 11:37AM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Can my creditor (a UK bank) access my account history in another UK bank to see who I sent the money to? I have made an international transfer out and I would not like the creditor bank to find out.

How long is the account history kept by the bank after the account has been closed?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi philly_001 and welcome to MSE,

One bank would not be able to see another banks account information, unless they were under the same banking group. However, the Official Receiver (OR) can request information from any bank account and if you have sent money internationally this would likely be questioned further. It will really depend how much you sent, where the funds came from originally, why the money was sent etc.

If there is a risk of this being considered a preference payment to family, the money may be requested back from whom ever it was sent to and you may be subject to a bankruptcy restriction undertaking/ order.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • philly_001
    philly_001 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 12:25PM
    Thank you for this very informative reply. How long do banks store the account history after it has been closed?

If I send it to my father as a gift, what powers does the OR have to claim it back from him? Can my father be prosecuted/subject to debt recovery? He lives in another country.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello again,

Unfortunately, the Data Protection Act doesn't give a clear outline for how long they will keep the data - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-5-retention/ . It could be anything up to 6 years or potentially longer if the bank were to archive the information.

With regard to sending the money to your father as a gift, I am afraid, it would again be difficult to say for certain how the OR would handle it. The OR has a duty to get as much money back for the creditors as possible, so I think a key thing would be how much you sent. If you have sent a nominal amount as a gift then it is unlikely to be an issue. However, if we are talking about a more substantial sum, then you may wish to discuss the details of this, one on one, with an independent advice agency to get more information. It will be more difficult for the OR to chase the money if the individual is abroad, but that doesn't mean they can't do it, if it is worth their while.

If the individual was in the UK then they could be sued for the return of money, and it would normally be a civil matter (not criminal). It could be a similar process, depending on where abouts your father lives, but I am afraid your dad would need some local advice. Hope that helps,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Unfortunately, the Data Protection Act doesn't give a clear outline for how long they will keep the data - https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-5-retention/ . It could be anything up to 6 years or potentially longer if the bank were to archive the information.

As them for a copy of their Data Retention Policy as that has to be specific. Though the legislation looks vague it is not. It just caters for different companies different requirements.

Also look at the "right to removal".
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure