identity for 16 year old

My son went shopping on his own and then went to a restaurant with some friends. They asked him his age and asked him to prove he was 16'
We don't want to send him out with his passport or birth certificate.
His friends could show a driving licence as it they are over 17.

Any ideas? Our local council don't run a scheme

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Photocopy of his passport.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • What about this - https://validateuk.co.uk/
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Get him a tractor or scooter licence.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why did he need to prove he was 16 in a restaurant? Was it because he was ordering alcohol with a meal?

My 17yo hasn't sent for his provisional licence yet, but he has a student travel card that entitles him to child fares on public transport in our town/county. It is photo ID. We apply to the local transport department for it. You don't pay for the first one but do if it needs replacing. You get one for 11-16 then 16-18. Does your area do anything like this?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Spendless wrote: »
    Why did he need to prove he was 16 in a restaurant? Was it because he was ordering alcohol with a meal?
    My thoughts too.

OP:
    When you say 'restaurant' - is it part of chain or a stand-alone?

A friend's daughter and a couple of her friends went into a local pub chain and ordered food and non-alcohol drinks and were served without any issue or request for ID.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Spendless wrote: »

My 17yo hasn't sent for his provisional licence yet, but he has a student travel card that entitles him to child fares on public transport in our town/county. It is photo ID. We apply to the local transport department for it. You don't pay for the first one but do if it needs replacing. You get one for 11-16 then 16-18. Does your area do anything like this?

our bus service does this too, its photo ID and has the date of birth on it.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can well believe it.

In Tesco yesterday my daughter was asked for ID for an alcohol free
    bottle of Kopperberg!!
  • Finst
    Finst Posts: 146 Forumite
    As qwert yuiop says, apply for a provisional driving licence - you can do that at 15 years 9 months.

It'll only let him ride 50cc mopeds until he's 17, but it'll do the job
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I can well believe it.

In Tesco yesterday my daughter was asked for ID for an alcohol free
    bottle of Kopperberg!!

That's correct and she would have had to have been 18 to buy it. It's classed the same as alcohol because of how it's made.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    A 16 year old can apply for their provisional driving license. I know they can because my daughter did it because she wanted to have a driving lesson on the day of her 17th birthday, so she had her license for around 3 or 4 months before she even turned 17.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure