PAYG for kids

Options
1Khal
1Khal Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi folks,
first time post
So I got 2 PAYG phones with ee for my kids to give me a missed call and I'd call them back. Found today all the credit is gone as ee charge 30p even if you ring and hang up for 1, 2 or 3 seconds etc.(you get the jist)
I have raised a complaint but now need to consider if there is any other network out there with whom you can call and hang up and not get charged, any ideas?
I have 4 teens so don't want to start putting them on contracts or offer data usage while I can get away with it.
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's ASDA. (on EE network)

8p per minute
    4p per txt

Comes will free credit, so you can test to see if it disapears.

or there is sim only deals from plusnet or virgin, from £5 or £6 a month.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they have basic 2G phones then 1p mobile, O2 Classic and giffgaff will offer texts for 1p or 5p each.

If they have smartphones then you have the option of 3 too.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    1Khal wrote: »
    I have raised a complaint but now need to consider if there is any other network out there with whom you can call and hang up and not get charged, any ideas?

Not AFAIK not just call, let it ring but not answered then hang up without charge. there is a connection charge even if no one answers

Used to work fine with landlines, three rings then hang up;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks,
    first time post
    So I got 2 PAYG phones with ee for my kids to give me a missed call and I'd call them back. Found today all the credit is gone as ee charge 30p even if you ring and hang up for 1, 2 or 3 seconds etc.(you get the jist)
    I have 4 teens so don't want to start putting them on contracts or offer data usage while I can get away with it.
    Thanks in advance :)

Methinks that if you've got a poor PAYG plan the last thing you should ever do is get them contracts; you'll be back on here in no time talking about how you have bills for hundreds - if not thousands - of pounds and making complaints based purely on your own lack of understanding of what you contracted to.
  • teleaddict
    teleaddict Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the phones are unlocked and are 3g compatable, I would suggest threes 321PAYG.
    I have these sims for my 2 kids. At 3p/min, 2p/txt & 1p/Mb data, they don't cost much to run.
    Providing you can get signal coverage where you live, it would be a good option, because the credit doesn't run out providing they make (chargable) use of the phone within 6 months
    My £2 savings total for 2007 = £92, for 2008 = £124
    My savings from money off coupons for 2007 = £67.97, for 2008 = £194.79
    My £2 savings for 2009 (so far) = £130
    My savings from money off coupons for 2009 = £593.08
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi folks,
    first time post

I've just tested your statement using an EE PAYG sim and you are incorrect.

Simply phoning another phone and allowing it to ring does NOT take credit. I made 5 outgoing calls using the EE PAYG sim to another EE number, a Three number and a landline, I allowed it to ring from 2 seconds to 20 seconds of ringing and none of the "calls" used any credit.

I have a suspicion that your children are using the credit for other purposes and lying to you or you are actually answering the calls...
    ====
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you considered capped contracts with Tesco Mobile?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    I've just tested your statement using an EE PAYG sim and you are incorrect.

Simply phoning another phone and allowing it to ring does NOT take credit. I made 5 outgoing calls using the EE PAYG sim to another EE number, a Three number and a landline, I allowed it to ring from 2 seconds to 20 seconds of ringing and none of the "calls" used any credit.

I have a suspicion that your children are using the credit for other purposes and lying to you or you are actually answering the calls...

Agreed or going to Voicemail.
  • Patrick_Stewart
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    If they have basic 2G phones then 1p mobile, O2 Classic and giffgaff will offer texts for 1p or 5p each.

If they have smartphones then you have the option of 3 too.

Not sure about the others but 1pMobile give you the option to turn off mobile data altogether, which would be good for stopping children's overspend there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure