Tooth extraction question

OK so I've just had my tooth (a molar) extracted (long story following a fracture and several infections)

I was given a whole load of information following the extraction, but it was a bit of a big deal for me and I didn't take much in beyond "if it keeps bleeding use these swabs"...
I do know there were no stitches and the wisom tooth behind the removed molar was removed several years ago already.

I so far have managed to read bits and peices on Google saying don't brush, or brush but avoiding the area, rinse with salt water but only 24 hours after the extraction, take pain killers and to eat a very soft diet-nothing that crunches or has small particles involved (eg rice).

What I am not so sure on is how long until it's OK to eat foods which need to be chewed again without risking any damage, how long until I can brush the area properly (I normally brush my teeth thoroughly and worry/feel uncomfortable about not being able to brush half my mouth).

It feels bruised but it's nothing compared to the pain I was in when it had become infected!

Comments

• I have heard about the caldental team that helps in recovery of the tooth. They do provide dental services too. They can help you.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I have heard about the caldental team that helps in recovery of the tooth. They do provide dental services too. They can help you.

New member, post building.

Jennie, you would be best to ask your dentist, ring them. A dentist on here will probably come along soon and answer your questions. I suggest you don't brush the exact spot where the tooth came out, but you can brush gently the teeth close by, and the rest of your mouth.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,070
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Did they not give you a bit of paper with the instructions written down/printed on as well?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Avoid hot and cold food for upto 3 days, but certainly first 24 hours.

Chew on other side. Rinse with luke warm water and avoid poking around
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Did they not give you a bit of paper with the instructions written down/printed on as well?

Yes I got the cotton swabs, but was told I wouldn't need it as it was only if I was bleeding and the bleeding wouldn't stop so I've not used the cotton swabs at all. I've had a few times yesterday been needing to spit blood (sorry that sounds really gross!) but that stopped after 24 hours.

I was verbally told a lot of stuff, most of which went through me as I wasn't picking much in (I didn't expect to have the tooth extracted and the whole thing took me a bit by suprize).

I read about rinsing with salt water, not brushing and the cotton swabs but don't remember anything on when I can start brushing all of my mouth or chew on food again without rising a problem.

I didn't think of calling my dentist- I wish I'd had the time to read the thread before I left this morning! I can't believe I didn't think of that!
    I've noticed already a lot is less painful so I think I'm doing the right thing with the salt washes and so on, but I'm just worried about causing another infection- I'm not on antibiotics and was told to wait to see if there is an infection rather than take anything in precaution. If I split the part the tooth came from I risk it being infected again and this is what caused a lot of the agony in the first place!

I'm sure my dentist did explain this to me but TBH I wasn't taking much in. I know this is probably the sort of thing that happens regularly in a dental surgery but for me it was a bit stressful and it didn't help that due to the pain I'd not managed more than 2 hours sleep for the three days before the appointment.

I think it feels a lot more healed already- just don't want to jump the gun and mess the healing process up. I just don't want another infection!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 5:43AM
    I found that my "fear of it opening/bleeding again" and my fear of it becoming infected simply made me be super careful/not brush and eat carefully ... and I was easily lead by the gap's behaviour. In short ... having been "petrified something bad will happen" and not brushing for 1-2 days and rinsing often .... the whole thing had just sealed up and nothing felt odd/wrong and I soon completely forgot it'd ever happened.

The only problem I had was not being tempted to "poke it with my tongue as it all feels a bit strange there now".

You should find it just "fixes itself by magic" and one day you'll think "you know I'd completely forgotten about that - it all seems fine now".

In short: if you just don't brush - and rinse often/well - it'll just slide into your past memory. If you're getting problems, then call the dentist soonest so they can "fix" anything soonest.

I found: tooth was gone, it was a "novelty" so had to not poke it to see how it felt with my tongue ... and apart from that "nothing else/much happened and it was soon forgotten by me". So eating "normally" will just come naturally to you.

I will add: I've had 3 removed over the years.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,466
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I had very similar two years ago and while the area was tender (don't remember this being so when my wisdom teeth were taken out as a child ) automatically avoided eating that side, but one day I forgot ( no tenderness to remind me),then carried on as normal.

I bled very little, though taking daily aspirin and eventually the hole partially filled with gum.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you for the help- I've managed to eat something which isn't soup! (I had been living off soup, milky coffee/tea and boiled egg whites which is tricky enough anyway because my body can't seem to tolerate lactose and I have a long history of an eating disorder so cutting back on food is a bit of a risk because it's not so easy to put it back once it's gone).

I am really relieved I can eat things- not everything I was eating yet, and it feels very odd because two teeth which were next to each other (upper wisdom tooth was taken out a few years ago and upper molar next to it was taken out this time), but I'm hoping I get used to it, it hurts a bit still but doesn't feel anything like the intensity or ...just total PAIN it was for most of the last week/fortnight.

So to sum up and incase anyone lurking is in a similar position (and perhaps to keep for myself to Google for if it happens again!) it has take just under 3 days to progress beyond lattes and miso soup to things I can chew, but not yet on things that might create dry crumbs (I'll leave that for next week!)

Thank you again for your replies- I must have looked a bit neurotic and stupid :/ I will say in my defence I hadn't been sleeping properly if at all and I'd not been eating normally either!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,829
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Have you tried lactofree milk?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,070
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    So to sum up and incase anyone lurking is in a similar position (and perhaps to keep for myself to Google for if it happens again!) it has take just under 3 days to progress beyond lattes and miso soup to things I can chew, but not yet on things that might create dry crumbs (I'll leave that for next week!)

Jennie - I would say to anyone in a similar position, listen carefully to the post-extraction advice given by the dentist, and ask for a written-down version of it if you don't feel you'll remember it.

I haven't jumped in here with the advice I usually give to my patients - because advice can sometimes be specific to specific patients, and I don't know any special circumstances for you - or anyone else who might be reading these pages.

But not being able to eat normally for several days is not what I tell my patients to usually expect. Most would probably be eating pretty normally the day after.

As I said - individual circumstances might be different - so the advice given by the dentist at the time is the most important thing to take note of.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure