PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Things you should not do...

man_of_faith
man_of_faith Posts: 194 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 26 August 2014 at 5:41PM in Old style MoneySaving
Attempt to do to drying up by putting things in a warm oven to dry them.

Forgetting about them and lighting the oven to heat it up and wandering what the burning smell is.

Buying new crockery and:money things as they have been ruined.

:T:T:T

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2014 at 7:37PM
    Oh dear ................. :( - better luck next time, m-o-f :p.

Had a few 'disasters' myself in the past - my mother constantly reminds us - at every family gathering - about the time I exploded a pan of hard-boiled eggs all over the kitchen wall by leaving them to completely boil dry.

............... not to mention me burning a pan - the one from the pressure cooker - with a full 5lbs of potatoes in it ............... again by letting it boil dry :o:(:o
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Selecting grill instead of oven when cooking a pizza...came out like a black frisbee..

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• PenguinOfDeath
    PenguinOfDeath Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Selecting grill instead of oven when cooking a pizza...came out like a black frisbee..

Yep, been there! Mine was just about rescuable as I noticed a few mins later :o
  • Mine was putting the pot of my slow cooker in the oven with the lid on to try to speed up the heating up of the contents, but I completely forgot that lid had a plastic handle!
  • hoglet121
    hoglet121 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    We've all had some pretty shocking kitchen disasters along the way...

Do not put a baking potato in the microwave on high for 15 minutes - copious amounts of black smoke and a lingering smell for months

Do not allow food to drip on to an exposed bottom element in an oven, so that it catches fire as you're cooking dinner for guests

Do not put popping corn into a dry pan on the highest heat and leave it there for an eternity, and don't check it until you can smell burning

All part of life's rich tapestry....!
  • My disaster today was running the washing machine for almost a complete cycle before realising I hadn't put the washing powder in! :mad:
  • Rainsey
    Rainsey Posts: 23 Forumite
    My disaster today was running the washing machine for almost a complete cycle before realising I hadn't put the washing powder in! :mad:

I did this last week and I hadn't put the clothes in!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I had an electric steamer and wanted to cook lots of cabbage. The lid would not stay on tight. I figured if I put a heavy object on the lid it would stay on. The nearest heavy object was a big green candle, that melted on the lid, the cabbage, the other veg, the steamer and the work surfaces. Oh dear.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lol, I love you lot, thanks for the giggle! :D

My list includes:

Don't turn your back on a wok with 1 tbsp of oil in it on a gas hob - thank heavens I bought a fire blanket from Ikea the week before, best £10 I ever spent!

Check your jumpers don't have a wool blend in them to make sure they are machine washable - I have a reputation with the MIL for shrinking all of my bf's jumpers as I've never bought a wool jumper in my life and *ahem* I don't do hand washing, dahling, life's too darn short for that nonsense!

Don't leave a tube of expanding foam on the stairs where the cat can get it otherwise you will wake up to a sea of hardened foam all down the stairs and up the hallway wall (and one very confused cat with blobs of foam stuck to her whiskers!) the next morning (thankfully that was my Dad, not me!)

When making curtains, don't try to save time double-lining by folding the fabric in half and ending up with the pattern the right way up on one side and upside down on the other (again, my Dad, but huge kudos for using his sister's sewing machine to make a pair of curtains which were otherwise pretty good!)
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forgetting to take the plastic microwave steriliser out of the combi oven when pre-heating it. The first time DH laughed and called me a twit, the second time he wasn't quite so amused but did laugh about it later on!

I can only blame the baby brain and sleep deprivation :)
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport