Ebid vs Ebay

I have recently signed up to Ebid as I'm sick of all the scams and rip-offs and high fees on Ebay.

Ebid offer free auctions, free final value fees and a free shop to boot.

Obviously Ebid arent anywhere near as large as ebay and probably never will be but it is good for free.

Your thoughts please

Comments

• Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    EBay is where the buyers are ... If that ever changes, I'll consider selling elsewhere. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • pug_in_a_bed
    pug_in_a_bed Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    i've used it once, i got my stuff but ever got any replies back off the seller, who also never left feedback. plus at the moment most of the stuff seems pants, prob cos not many people going on there. its a pirates paradise, as i guess its not being monitored very well at the moment
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Bargainbabe_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Tojo_Ralph wrote:
    EBay is where the buyers are ... If that ever changes, I'll consider selling elsewhere. :)

I'll second that!
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • poppit_2
    poppit_2 Posts: 379 Forumite
    i too am sick to the teeth of ebays chargres but untill another alternative is advalible like ebid becoming popular then i have to stick with ebay altho my sellers fees are so high sometimes i dont make much profit at all and i wonder why i bother but in the past have made a few pennys
  • vultura
    vultura Posts: 475 Forumite
    smam21 wrote:
    its a pirates paradise, as i guess its not being monitored very well at the moment

and eBay isn't a place for pirates to sell their wares?
  • FruGal_2
    FruGal_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    ebay has a charitable foundation?
  • pug_in_a_bed
    pug_in_a_bed Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    vultura wrote:
    and eBay isn't a place for pirates to sell their wares?

yes it is, but what with the vero thing and people starting to report pirate stuff, its more hit and miss as to whether sellers are going to get there goods taken off - there's been a numebr of posts in the past few months on the forum about sellers being confused as to why they've had, say a brand new dvd, being removed accoriding to vero regulations; on the pirate side there was some guy complaining he'd been taken off for selling what he called very good bootlegs.

my point is that ebid is not at the stage of massiveness yet where these kinds of items are being picked up and removed, which people may argue has good and bad points...
  • poppit wrote: »
    i too am sick to the teeth of ebays chargres but untill another alternative is advalible like ebid becoming popular then i have to stick with ebay altho my sellers fees are so high sometimes i dont make much profit at all and i wonder why i bother but in the past have made a few pennys

That's the spirit, Poppit... let everybody else do all the hard work without you, and then you'll step in when it's a roaring success.

Well here's the rub. In most countries, eBay is currently the only game in town... it's effectively a monopoly; and that means it can and will raise its fees, raise its profits, reduce choice for its seller customers and buyer customers, except where it sees itself making extra profit.

No company will prep itself to roll-out from Day 1 a service as complete as e-bay, unless perhaps it's a company that's already the lead player in other countries, and wants to "steal" e-bay's market one country at a time. But that's exceptionally unlikely, because Yahoo tried it an failed.

Here's why on-line auctions are a special case:

It really is convenient for customers to have one arena for all their customers. It costs to advertise in more than one place; to manage sales in more than one place; and it's difficult, because one item can only be sold in one auction so sellers have to make their choice.

But e-bays position will only ever get stronger unless you, Poppit, and a million other people, shift the power balance. (In fact since you wrote your mail, you've seen it happen!) That absolutely means you make a sacrifice of convenience in exchange for the free listings and no final value fees and whatever else. But at least you shouldn't whinge about e-bay while supporting their monopoly.

Be abused by e-bay and smile about it; or have the courage and determination to vote with your feet an walk!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,188 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Um, this thread is almost 4 years old, I think the OP has probably moved on by now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    soolin wrote: »
    Um, this thread is almost 4 years old, I think the OP has probably moved on by now.

4 years old, and still eBid is a useless alternative to eBay. Sadly eBay hold the monopoly, and the customers, and that will never change.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure