Standing Search - Anonymous?

Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me. My nan unfortunately passed away in April this year, she had 2 daughters, one of which was my mother who passed away 4 years ago. The other is the sole executor of the will.

When speaking to my nan a few years ago, she mentioned that the will would be split between the surviving daughter (my auntie and the executor) and my mother's portion to be slit between my brother and I.

I know the estate is fairly large and probate was applied for back in June - but i've literally not heard anything from my auntie (the executor) since, and i've never seen the actual will held by my nan. I keep in contact with her but can't approach the situation without looking like I just care about money - if that makes sense :(?

So I want to pay the £10 fee for a standing search so I can personally see the will and probate docs (once they are granted). My question is, is this anonymous? I.e. would any executor or solicitor be informed or be able to see someone has requested these documents?

Thank you all,

Tim

Comments

• Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    If they applied for Probate in June chances are it's already been granted so you could just apply for a copy rather than doing a standing search application.

I don't know for sure, but since anyone can apply for copies of Wills once submitted to Probate I doubt the Probate Registry go around contacting those who applied for the Grant any time there is an application for a copy.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    timthebin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was hoping you could help me. My nan unfortunately passed away in April this year, she had 2 daughters, one of which was my mother who passed away 4 years ago. The other is the sole executor of the will.

When speaking to my nan a few years ago, she mentioned that the will would be split between the surviving daughter (my auntie and the executor) and my mother's portion to be slit between my brother and I.

I know the estate is fairly large and probate was applied for back in June - but i've literally not heard anything from my auntie (the executor) since, and i've never seen the actual will held by my nan. I keep in contact with her but can't approach the situation without looking like I just care about money - if that makes sense :(?

So I want to pay the £10 fee for a standing search so I can personally see the will and probate docs (once they are granted). My question is, is this anonymous? I.e. would any executor or solicitor be informed or be able to see someone has requested these documents?

Thank you all,

Tim
    The search is anonymous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills