Free Poster maker!

Wiggynut
Wiggynut Posts: 1,039 Forumite
First Post
edited 2 February 2016 at 2:01PM in Freebies (no spend required)
I was looking for threads concerning cheap film development (which I have now found!) and someone asked how to make their own poster.. ie print off parts of an image and then reassemble to make their own poster.

I now can't find that persons thread to let them know but I thought I'd share these links with everyone.

This one is free and it converts your image into segments and you can either print it off yourself or send the individual pieces to (ie:) photobox - use the free codes!! GOT THIS WRONG! converts to pdf and this is A4 - so better to print off on your own printer or use the local library - cheaper if black & white!) http://www.blockposters.com/

This instructables site is rather entertaining and mad! A guy on this site made a huge poster image that was mounted onto wooden blocks - I personally would just stick on the image on card or the wall - easier! :D

http://www.instructables.com/id/EN6FDTPF2FRV7JL/?ALLSTEPS

Hope that's helpful to a few people! :cool:

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!

Comments

• Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    I think both of these sites are fantastic :T :T :T

The answer to what to put on a blank wall in my son's room I think :D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • beachlou
    beachlou Posts: 760 Forumite
    Hi-can I ask how you send the individual pieces from block poster to photobox as they're in adobe reader? How do uoi make the file a jpg one?

Thanks
  • For my Final Major Show at collage I did similar, but with A3 prints for a 3D render.

If you want to print it off your self, and not use a special program or something (cheating lol), if you have photoshop or another graphics editing program, then you can pull out 'rulers' from the side to guide you. This can then be used to select A4 (or A3 if your lucky to have a printer that big) areas, copy them and paste them into a new document, saving eash one under a different name (i.e. bigpic01.jpg bigpic02.jpg).

From then, its a case of printing it out, and sticking it up. For that, I would sugest either getting some foam board (EXPENSIVE!!!!), or getting some thick 'backing board' (cheaper) from an art shop and using this to support the pictures before hanging or placing them. Only use corrigated cardboard if you have a dark image (the brown can show through), and if you can put up with the 'wavey' effect of the cardbord on your pic.

Also, do not, unless you have cut all the images out exactly, with perfect edges, stich them all together. It will look horrible. For A3 images, I left a 2cm gap between each peice, so I would sugest a 1cm gap for A4, otherwise it won't look like one peice.

A good way to stick this on the walls is with velcro (sticky type), as it doesn't damage the picture.

ttfn,
    badspyro
  • beachlou wrote: »
    Hi-can I ask how you send the individual pieces from block poster to photobox as they're in adobe reader? How do uoi make the file a jpg one?

Thanks

basically i selected each pic in adobe with the select tool, pasted it into paint, and saved it from there!
    A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute ...:A
  • beachlou
    beachlou Posts: 760 Forumite
    basically i selected each pic in adobe with the select tool, pasted it into paint, and saved it from there!

Thanks very much. When I have them printed off with photobox, do I just have them printed A4 size?
  • ellybelly89
    ellybelly89 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

does a similar job too
  • Wiggynut
    First Post
    beachlou wrote: »

Thanks

There was another site like this one where you got actual jpgs and these could have been sent off to somewhere like photobox... can't find that one now - got them mixed up... so unfortunately the blockposters one does only supply a PDF file - shame - this is an option to set your printer up to do a similar thing but it's rather unreliable as I have tried in the past!

As VictoriaJane says: there are ways... you can get a pdf converter free and you then save the pics as jpgs... don't have one at the moment but I did have one from PC PRO mag DVD once - would have to search all my discs to find it

always a catch! :rolleyes:

Another way is to split up a photo yourself and then send to photobox... sorry - wish I could remember the other site that did convert them to jpgs... if I find it I'll post it up. :o
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
  • Wiggynut
    First Post
    http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

does a similar job too

Thanks ellybelly89 :D
    this one has lots of examples... might do a black & white one as I'm nearly out of colour ink anyway and it will be cheaper to run off (I brought an black ink cartridge for a £1 - £9 cashback through quidco!) suppose to get a free one with it but I did it wrong... still a bargain!

I think a good graphic type image would look brilliant blown up onto an entire wall!
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know the site which makes your pics all dotty or slightly blurred? I read about it ebfore on this site last year or so I think but can't find it!

This would look brilliant done first before rasterbating it I think.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    honeypop wrote: »
    Does anyone know the site which makes your pics all dotty or slightly blurred? I read about it ebfore on this site last year or so I think but can't find it!

This would look brilliant done first before rasterbating it I think.
    I'm pretty sure that was the Rasterbator program mentioned above
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport