Putting washing outside

My friend and I were discussing washing and tumble drying etc the other day. (As you do! ) We both put the washing out whenever we can, in fact mine goes out every day on an airer either in the greenhouse or in the specially built shelter. A bit of air through it always helps it get a bit drier so if you do have to put it through the dryer it cuts down on the time.

We both have children of the same age (mid 20's average) and they NEVER put washing out. They always put it on an airer and then leave it until either it dries, they need to wear something or they're doing the next lot of washing. I have told mine time after time if they put it outside for a bit of fresh air it will dry quicker, even if it's frosty outside. (Who else has ever had to snap the washing off the airer when it's frozen to the rails lol?) They look me like I'm mad!

My friend's daughter brings her washing up to her mum and asks to use her tumble drier as she hasn't got one, although she has a washing line outside her house!

Anyway, to get to the point-is it an age thing about putting washing out? My friend and I had to when the kids were small as we didn't have a tumble drier and they cost a small fortune to run in those days. We were trying to think of anyone who puts washing out who isn't the same sort of age as us and we couldn't think of anyone? Opinions please? Thanks.

Comments

• dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Maybe a little bit but I'm late 20's now and I've always put washing out so there are exceptions! I hate having washing hanging around the house because it looks untidy and it just causes humidity problems.

I do take the towels and sheets to mom's if it's raining sometimes, but I always think tumble dried laundry smells a bit like rubber!

I've also had to get frozen washing off the line, I'm sure the neighbours think I'm mad!
  • I sometimes put my airers outside, but only when there's a bit of sun. I always tumble dry towels, sheets and socks, but other than that I dry on an airer inside.

I am just the wrong side of 40!
  • It saves a lot on electricity by drying outside or what I do is if central heating is on use the rads.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I don't hang my washing out from about October till March. It makes no sense to me to put things out knowing that it won't dry properly and will need to be taken it still wet or frozen. I remember taking it washing that was frozen when there was no other way to dry but these days there is an alternative. Just seems silly to me not to use my tumble dryer, it only gets used about 1 or 2 times per week.

Washing on radiatiors isn't good as it can cause problems with condensation/damp

I am over 50
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ours goes out when we can but it's rare this time of year as we all work full time and my days off are spent on the bike. Given the weather at moh no point leaving it our to get rained on.
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    In my last house there was a communal washing line so when I knew I would be home long enough to make it worth while I'd put my washing out as long as it was dry, and then put it in to the aiering cupboard on hangers to finish it off. In my new flat I don't have the luxury of a line and have a combi boiler so no airing cupboard either, but when it's less windy ought to be able to peg my washing to my airer and pop it out by my front door for a while, or when it's less cold but wet out leave my front door open with the airer just inside it.

I had to buy a washing machine when I moved here and actively avoided looknig at washer dryers as I prefer hanging things outside when I can.

Alot of it is lifestyle and opportunitiy though, I work shifts, it's not always practical to put out washing on a communal line then go to work knowing it'll be dark when you get home, or getting home from a late shift and needing to get the washing done as you know you're on an early the next day and need to have dry uniform. Equally my last house is the first place I've lived since leaving my parents which has had a communal washing line, alot of flats and small houses dont have any garden space at all.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • I would never leave washing on a drying rack inside the house as that is asking for condensation problems. If one of us is working from home then the washing can go outside on the line, if we are working away from home and washing needs drying then it's in the drier. The problem with leaving washing out is the unpredictable nature of the weather.

Is it a generational thing? In my parents day my dad worked, mom stayed at home looking after us children and the house; this was a common household make up so there was someone to put the washing out and keep an eye on the weather, my mom still hangs her washing out. Many households these days have all the adults out at work and the children out at school so if it rains there would be no-one home to bring the washing in. Perhaps this is what has changed.

If I'm being honest I always think clothes are softer from the tumble dryer and many items can be worn straight out without ironing, I always think stuff that has been outside feels a bit 'stiffer'. On a cold winter's morning I like to put my stuff in tumble dryer before I walk the dog so I am nice and warm when I go out.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

in the old days, so I'm told, neighbours used to take in washing if it started raining, some would even iron it.

In those days neighbours were neighbours, they spoke to each other, borrowed/loaned a cup of sugar, a pint of milk a couple of slice of bread.

You can't do that on social media. :rotfl:
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We find if we dry clothing outside in the winter it ends up smelling very damp, so we dry most things inside on clothes horses, some things are tumbled. In spring and summer we still dry inside as I have very bad hayfever, so I can't wear clothes dried outside or I come out in hives.
  • dirty_magic
    dirty_magic Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't hang my washing out from about October till March. It makes no sense to me to put things out knowing that it won't dry properly and will need to be taken it still wet or frozen.

It does still dry even in winter on blowy days. I realised I was getting older when I started recognising days as 'good drying days'. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure