CIS UNIT TRUST - Keep it, split it or get rid?

Options
I have (had) £7k invested in a CIS Unit Trust ISA. Its been in there since June 05 and only seems to be losing money not making any. In fact its never been worth the £7k since the day it was paid in. I know this is a five year investment but after nearly three years it is now worth nearly £1k less than it was originally.

Should I keep it? Should I take £3k out and put it in a cash mini ISA where it will at least earn some interest? Or should I call it quits and move the whole kit and caboodle elsewhere?

Sorry if this seems like a very basic question but I really don't know what to do about it.:confused:

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're willing to put some time and effort into researching your own investments, I'd personally get in touch with a broker like Hargreaves Lansdown and ask them to transfer across your ISA to them. At that point you could essentially create your own investment portfolio with them, one likely to do better than a single-fund investment such as the one you currently have.

If you transfer across £6k or so, you should probably aim to get about 6 unit trusts or OEICs with £1k in each to ensure that you have a decent amount of diversification.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you arent willing to spend your own time doing it then get a real financial adviser involved like an IFA. Not the tied salesman from the CIS.

£1k per fund is a good option on a small investment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nnop
    nnop Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Helen,

I had a CIS UK Growth ISA and compared to other funds was very dissapointing. Their website was awful and I could never access to check how it was doing. After reading this site. I took the decision to transfer via Hargreaves Lansdown which offered many funds to choose from. The transfer was simple and I decided to split my investment:-

Jupiter UK Growth
    JP Morgan Natural Resource
    Neptune Russia
    Marlborough UK Special Situations

Hopefully, these will perform well for me in the longer term.

Also, their website give a very simple view of how the funds are performing and the option to swap investments.

Just my experience anyway...Good luck!
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've split more or less evenly, you've increased your risk level by making this change. If you're happy with higher volatility and the potential for much larger drops, you should be fine.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of what you'd done.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • nnop
    nnop Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    To clarify, my split :-

Jupiter UK Growth 75%
    JP Morgan Natural Resource 10%
    Neptune Russia 10%
    Marlborough UK Special Situations 5%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories