TSB's contactless card offer

Options

Comments

• Jeems
    Jeems Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used the offer on multiple cards last year until the offer ended for me. I found that after around every £50-£60 of contactless spend, I'd get a pin request. I'd circumvent that by taking a tenner out of a cash point once I'd get to that level of spend. No problems with this method at all. I didn't find checking the balance to work for me.

The pin request is security feature like all cards have, or someone could nick yours and go around tapping for eternity.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm still in the cashback offer period and get a PIN request perhaps every 15-20 transactions. Transactions from £1 to £30 appear to be treated equally. I have no reason to believe TSB are restricting the ability to earn cashback.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 April 2017 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Jeems wrote: »
    I used the offer on multiple cards last year until the offer ended for me. I found that after around every £50-£60 of contactless spend, I'd get a pin request. I'd circumvent that by taking a tenner out of a cash point once I'd get to that level of spend. No problems with this method at all. I didn't find checking the balance to work for me.

The pin request is security feature like all cards have, or someone could nick yours and go around tapping for eternity.

The reason for requests is obvious and desirable, but three requests from three cards at the same time, on a number of occasions is not something to endear one to the system (when credit is lost). I had only one request from June, when the account was opened until the end of the year, but now am surprised to get the transaction accepted (also, agree that the size of transaction has no effect)

A CS person did tell me that, if contactless is used more than 5 times in one day, the system does request a PIN, which seems very sensible, as this would be the behaviour of someone 'finding' a card.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Although I find it hard to believe TSB is doing something nefarious, I can't help but notice how much less frequently my TSB card asks for a PIN since my contactless cashback offer expired. I'm certainly not doing anything differently.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    It's like this for me......

Halifax - no problem, never asked
    Santander - no problem, never asked
    Nationwide - no problem, never asked.

TSB - frequently asked.

TSB is the only one offering contactless cashback so go figure.

That applies for both of mine & the 2 accounts my wife has.

Coincidence? Some will say so but i think not.
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just checked, was getting it until January, never realised haven't been receiving it since then.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it's fairly obvious the frequent PIN checks and the cashback offer are connected.

I realise it's for security, but *good* security should surely be effective without being intrusive i.e. the very opposite of these PIN checks. I know it only takes a few seconds to enter the PIN but that doesn't stop it being very annoying when you wanted to make a contactless transaction.

This intrusive and clunky security exercise has put me off TSB as a whole, to be honest, and I've gone from wondering if I should make it my primary bank account to wondering if I should close the account.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is noticeable how few times I have to input my TSB credit card PIN compared to the debit card when I was getting cashback.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So it does appear to be a general upping of 'security' , perhaps to save paying cashback.

We are considering possible main accounts, should the Co-op go and this has taken TSB from our list.
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    So it does appear to be a general upping of 'security' ,

Methinks a 'general upping of security' is probably a good thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure